Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer

Default Re: The Soccer Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    If he had the potential to be a top player he would not play in the US and would already be in Europe by now.
    Just curious, how many top tier guys that weren't from Europe played in Europe at the ripe age of 16?

I think AW will be happy cuz Juve is going to make a comeback and win this. And Ronaldo will probably score a few. All this talk of how Atleti dominated and should have won 4-0. Well they didn't... They actually won 2-0 which isn't a hard scoreline to overturn by a team that a) plays at home b) is a better team to begin with c) is playing against an inconsistent road team and d) has Ronaldo. In the first leg, Atleti didn't dominate that much. Apart from goals, Juve had better stats across the board and just had defensive lapses which I doubt will happen again. Significant too is that Atleti will probably be missing four of their starters... Godin (injury), Filipe Luis (injury), Partay (suspension), and Costa (suspension). Admittedly the latter two aren't big omissions with Saul and Morata available but the first two are half of their defense and both played well in the first leg. Juve will miss Sandro (suspension) and De Sciglio (injury) compared to the first leg. De Sciglio out is kind of a blessing in disguise though because I don't know what Allegri was thinking in the first leg not playing Cancelo. For sure now he will start in the second leg.

Prediction: 3-0 win for Juve. I think Atleti will be nervous like in the last 10 minutes of the first leg. This will be all Juve.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8
    I think AW will be happy cuz Juve is going to make a comeback and win this. And Ronaldo will probably score a few. All this talk of how Atleti dominated and should have won 4-0. Well they didn't... They actually won 2-0 which isn't a hard scoreline to overturn by a team that a) plays at home b) is a better team to begin with c) is playing against an inconsistent road team and d) has Ronaldo. In the first leg, Atleti didn't dominate that much. Apart from goals, Juve had better stats across the board and just had defensive lapses which I doubt will happen again. Significant too is that Atleti will probably be missing four of their starters... Godin (injury), Filipe Luis (injury), Partay (suspension), and Costa (suspension). Admittedly the latter two aren't big omissions with Saul and Morata available but the first two are half of their defense and both played well in the first leg. Juve will miss Sandro (suspension) and De Sciglio (injury) compared to the first leg. De Sciglio out is kind of a blessing in disguise though because I don't know what Allegri was thinking in the first leg not playing Cancelo. For sure now he will start in the second leg.

Prediction: 3-0 win for Juve. I think Atleti will be nervous like in the last 10 minutes of the first leg. This will be all Juve.
    Remember, one Atleti goal and its basically over. Thats the bonerkill.

The away goal rule is trash. I will take it upon myself to revolutionize the sport.

What do you think about the biggest robbery in football history (United's penalty)?

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Just curious, how many top tier guys that weren't from Europe played in Europe at the ripe age of 16?
    Messi, Luis Nazario Da Lima Ronaldo ( granted he was 17 though)

Not to mention European clubs tend to poach young players more often than ever before.

I respect American sports, I really do. Some of the greatest athletes in the world are American. Stop pushing football though. No player that stars his youth career in the US will ever become a "top player". Hell will freeze over before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    Messi, Luis Nazario Da Lima Ronaldo ( granted he was 17 though)

Not to mention European clubs tend to poach young players more often than ever before.

I respect American sports, I really do. Some of the greatest athletes in the world are American. Stop pushing football though. No player that stars his youth career in the US will ever become a "top player". Hell will freeze over before that happens.
    Messi and Ronaldo Lima are your examples? Lmao cmon man

Players at 16 almost never play for the first team.. they're playing U18 or second team. Top teams dont have players that young.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Remember, one Atleti goal and its basically over. Thats the bonerkill.

The away goal rule is trash. I will take it upon myself to revolutionize the sport.

What do you think about the biggest robbery in football history (United's penalty)?
    Atleti wouldn't have scored at all in the 1st leg if it wasn't for defensive lapses. Chielini and Bonucci really had terrible games. I feel like Juve won't concede at home. The ref will really influence the outcome of the game as well. If he lets Atleti get away with their usual thuggery they will have the upper hand but if Colchoneros pick up a bunch of yellow cards in the first 30 minutes, they are as good as done. And usually in road games, refs are far less lenient towards their tactics.

United's penalty felt cringy but it was the correct call to make according to the rulebook. The hand was away from the body. If that hand was tucked in, the ball gets through and possibly ends up in the goal. It's a horrible call but it comes from a horrible rule not horrible officiating or some massive conspiracy. I personally believe that a player who's not facing the ball turned with his back to it shouldn't ever be called with hand ball. If I was the ref I wouldn't call it but that doesn't make it a wrong call.

I hope Juve advances, Atleti is too defensive, dirty and boring to watch.

And ofc, it will be more **it on your face for Franco

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Manchester United has to win at least one trophy. At least one. It feels like United is back - the whole team is coming together. The Lingard instagram story was awesome.

Atleti wouldn't have scored at all in the 1st leg if it wasn't for defensive lapses. Chielini and Bonucci really had terrible games. I feel like Juve won't concede at home. The ref will really influence the outcome of the game as well. If he lets Atleti get away with their usual thuggery they will have the upper hand but if Colchoneros pick up a bunch of yellow cards in the first 30 minutes, they are as good as done. And usually in road games, refs are far less lenient towards their tactics.

United's penalty felt cringy but it was the correct call to make according to the rulebook. The hand was away from the body. If that hand was tucked in, the ball gets through and possibly ends up in the goal. It's a horrible call but it comes from a horrible rule not horrible officiating or some massive conspiracy. I personally believe that a player who's not facing the ball turned with his back to it shouldn't ever be called with hand ball. If I was the ref I wouldn't call it but that doesn't make it a wrong call.
    what does the rule say about hand balls?

what does the rule say about hand balls?
    I'm paraphrasing here but essentially... Any contact with the ball below the shoulder inside the penalty area is a penalty unless:
    - the arms are along the body
    - the ball was last struck by the player himself or a teammate
    - it was unintentional

The third condition opens up a gray area because it's subjective and up to the discretion of the referee. However in the Kimpembe case, the ref reasoned that he clearly saw the ball coming before/as he was turning his back to it. His arms were definitely not along his body and the ball was last struck by an opposing player as well. However I personally would argue that even though he saw the ball, the contact with the arm was unintentional. It's hard to jump with your arms right against your body. It is so subjective... I think some refs would have ruled no PK but many would give a PK in that situation. It sucks when your team loses to a 50-50 call but that's what that was. Kind of like a charge/block call in the NBA sometimes except with much bigger implications.

Messi and Ronaldo Lima are your examples? Lmao cmon man

Players at 16 almost never play for the first team.. they're playing U18 or second team. Top teams dont have players that young.
    I know right....I didn't say he's going to be goat level like Messi/Fenomeno, but if AW is that high on Efrain, so be it.

I'm paraphrasing here but essentially... Any contact with the ball below the shoulder inside the penalty area is a penalty unless:
    - the arms are along the body
    - the ball was last struck by the player himself or a teammate
    - it was unintentional
    The rule only says clear intention to play the ball with ones hand. Anything else is up to the ref. There are guidelines, like the points you posted, but it's not mandatory.

My predictions for all of this week's 2nd leg matches:

Juve - Atletico = 3-0 (3-2)
    Man City - Schalke = 3-1 (6-3)
    Bayern - Liverpool = 2-1 (2-1)
    Barcelona - Lyon = 3-1 (3-1)​

that header... what a GOAT

Goal Line Technology is the shit