Page 30 of 100 FirstFirst ... 20272829303132334080 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer

Default Re: The Soccer Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Real won 5 straight in the 60's. Bayern won a few straight as well IIRC. Technically the CL was called the European Cup back then.
    I'm talking about when the competition changed from European Cup to Champions League, which is roughly around 3 decades old.

Oh no, dankok trying to convince himself Messi is better in CL than Ronaldo.

Meanwhile in the real world:

Those stats are bullshit. That's why you post them over and over. Some are cherrypicked like the QF to Final goals. As if R16 and Group Stage don't exist and aren't important. All of the pics you posted have outdated stats too.

The facts are:
    - Ronaldo played many more CL matches/minutes than Messi - Messi has the superior goal rate and assist rate
    - Ronaldo played all of the CL knockout matches in his prime whereas Messi played several before his prime
    - Ronaldo has a lot more garbage time goals (see entire 2014 CL for instance)
    - Ronaldo has more penalties and easy tap-ins that any decent player could score
    - Ronaldo's best performances are clearly below Messi's best
    - Ronaldo cares about stats more than Messi does (ex. Messi lets teammates take PK's)

That's why most online polls, their peers, and football legends take Messi over Ronaldo. If Ronaldo was much better as those stats show, surely these people would all pick him?

I went year by year and showed the breakdown of who's better and they're virtually tied. Only a moron would claim one guy is way better than the other one in the CL.

Those stats are bullshit. That's why you post them over and over. Some are cherrypicked like the QF to Final goals. As if R16 and Group Stage don't exist and aren't important. All of the pics you posted have outdated stats too.

The facts are:
    - Ronaldo played many more CL matches/minutes than Messi - Messi has the superior goal rate and assist rate
    - Ronaldo played all of the CL knockout matches in his prime whereas Messi played several before his prime
    - Ronaldo has a lot more garbage time goals (see entire 2014 CL for instance)
    - Ronaldo has more penalties and easy tap-ins that any decent player could score
    - Ronaldo's best performances are clearly below Messi's best
    - Ronaldo cares about stats more than Messi does (ex. Messi lets teammates take PK's)

That's why most online polls, their peers, and football legends take Messi over Ronaldo. If Ronaldo was much better as those stats show, surely these people would all pick him?

I went year by year and showed the breakdown of who's better and they're virtually tied. Only a moron would claim one guy is way better than the other one in the CL.
    Your year by year breakdown means nothing when Messi was barely better in some years, and Ronaldo crushed him in others.

Everyone knows where the trend is at with these guys.

Yea, the stats are outdated and got even bigger in margin.

Why do you think Ronaldo played more CL KO matches? Cause he scored more in those stages, lol.

R16's are the easiest round and are typically confronted with relatively weak teams, its not a cherry pick, it just makes sense to distinquish the rounds.

Sure sure, its penalties and tap ins and garbage time goals bro...

Just try to keep this up so you can stay in your fantasy land.

The difference between these players is that Messi is a group stage and R16 king, and Ronaldo a QF-F king.

Its fuznny how you say goals arent evident of impact, but Messi scores in bunches GS-R16 and then magically, doesnt anymore, while the team loses....

2007 R16: 0 goals
    2008 SF: 0 goals
    2010 SF: 0 goals
    2012 SF: 0 goals
    2013 SF: 0 goals
    2014 QF: 0 goals
    2016 QF: 0 goals
    2017 QF: 0 goals
    2018 QF: 0 goals
    2019 SF: 2 goals (1 tap in)
    2020 QF: 0 goals

We've been through this.

Messi is not the GOAT.

Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Your year by year breakdown means nothing when Messi was barely better in some years, and Ronaldo crushed him in others.

Everyone knows where the trend is at with these guys.

Yea, the stats are outdated and got even bigger in margin.

Why do you think Ronaldo played more CL KO matches? Cause he scored more in those stages, lol.

R16's are the easiest round and are typically confronted with relatively weak teams, its not a cherry pick, it just makes sense to distinquish the rounds.

Sure sure, its penalties and tap ins and garbage time goals bro...

Just try to keep this up so you can stay in your fantasy land.

The difference between these players is that Messi is a group stage and R16 king, and Ronaldo a QF-F king.

Its fuznny how you say goals arent evident of impact, but Messi scores in bunches GS-R16 and then magically, doesnt anymore, while the team loses....

2010 SF: 0 goals
    2012 SF: 0 goals
    2013 SF: 0 goals
    2014 QF: 0 goals
    2016 QF: 0 goals
    2017 QF: 0 goals
    2018 QF: 0 goals
    2019 SF: 2 goals (1 tap in)
    2020 QF: 0 goals

We've been through this.

Messi is not the GOAT.

Deal with it.
    Small margin? Messi completely crushed Ronaldo in so many years... 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019. It's so obvious to everyone except Ronaldo stans.

You're just taking ties that Messi's team lost. Yes Messi is an impactful player and when he scores Barca usually wins and when he doesn't they usually lose. It doesn't prove anything else. Maybe if he had Ramos show up clutch for him he'd win some more ties. Besides I can make a pretty long list for Ronaldo too of ties he didn't score in:

2004 R16: 0 goals
    2005 R16: 0 goals
    2009 F: 0 goals (got directly smoked by Messi)
    2011 R16: 0 goals
    2011 SF: 0 goals (got directly smoked by Messi)
    2015 QF: 0 goals
    2016 SF: 0 goals
    2016 F: 0 goals
    2017 R16: 0 goals
    2018 SF: 0 goals
    2018 F: 0 goals

Then add garbage time goals that come to mind:

2014 SF: 2 goals (1 free kick in garbage time)
    2014 F: 1 goal (1 PK in garbage time)

I'm done debating this because it's getting boring but here is what 137 football legends and managers said. I'll take their word over yours.

https://www.givemesport.com/1596658-...red-the-debate

Messi: 103
    Ronaldo: 34

It's over ladies and gentleman.

Small margin? Messi completely crushed Ronaldo in so many years... 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019. It's so obvious to everyone except Ronaldo stans.

You're just taking ties that Messi's team lost. Yes Messi is an impactful player and when he scores Barca usually wins and when he doesn't they usually lose. It doesn't prove anything else. Maybe if he had Ramos show up clutch for him he'd win some more ties. Besides I can make a pretty long list for Ronaldo too of ties he didn't score in:

2004 R16: 0 goals
    2005 R16: 0 goals
    2009 F: 0 goals (got directly smoked by Messi)
    2011 R16: 0 goals
    2011 SF: 0 goals (got directly smoked by Messi)
    2015 QF: 0 goals
    2016 SF: 0 goals
    2016 F: 0 goals
    2017 R16: 0 goals
    2018 SF: 0 goals
    2018 F: 0 goals

Then add garbage time goals that come to mind:

2014 SF: 2 goals (1 free kick in garbage time)
    2014 F: 1 goal (1 PK in garbage time)
    Lol, I used critical/close series‘ and was nice enough to not use pre prime Messi.

Rounds where they badly needed his scoring.

Don‘t you think its concerning every single QF-SF he is liable to go scoreless, have no impact and lose?

You can use your ex players as much as you want.

Its one of the few things you have left. A fallacy, lol

Meanwhile for Ronaldo from 2012-2017 you are down to R16‘s and ties he was injured in. Hehe

I'm done debating this because it's getting boring but here is what 137 football legends and managers said. I'll take their word over yours.

https://www.givemesport.com/1596658-...red-the-debate

Messi: 103
    Ronaldo: 34

It's over ladies and gentleman.

Unfortunately it's because of those retards that Sneijder 2012, Ribs 2013, and Xavi on 2 separate occasions didn't win a BDor. Imagine not giving the most successful midfielder in the last 30 years an award for best player on the planet on any single year because people who vote are ignorant idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    Unfortunately it's because of those retards that Sneijder 2012, Ribs 2013, and Xavi on 2 separate occasions didn't win a BDor. Imagine not giving the most successful midfielder in the last 30 years an award for best player on the planet on any single year because people who vote are ignorant idiots.
    Sneider I presume you mean 2010 wasn't on that level of player. He was good but not BDO material. Ribery in 2013 I agree. He should have had it over Messi (who was the best but injured for long stretches) and Ronaldo (whose team won nothing).

Xavi yea he could have but he wasn't better than Messi from 2009 onwards in any year. He could have had 2010 I guess because of the World Cup.

Sneider I presume you mean 2010 wasn't on that level of player. He was good but not BDO material. Ribery in 2013 I agree. He should have had it over Messi (who was the best but injured for long stretches) and Ronaldo (whose team won nothing).

Xavi yea he could have but he wasn't better than Messi from 2009 onwards in any year. He could have had 2010 I guess because of the World Cup.
    It's about influence, esp in big games not dicking Elceh and Celta Vigo on an annual basis. All of the goals and assists from Messi have amount to **** all since Xavi left Barcelona outside of one year where he, Neymar and Suarez all played out of this world football in Europe. And I've already talked about his ability to shoot blanks when it matters in any point in international football despite playing with world class midfielders and forwards nearly his entire career.

Xavi won 3 international championships and CLs, so yes he should have won multiple BDors. They turned into the almost-there mental midgets in the national team once he left as well. Even more clear once Iniesta left as well. Sneijder doesn't have God-like statistics, but he was absolutely massive in massive games (in 2010*). Came up huge in the CL and massive games in Serie A when it wasn't a trash league.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post

You can use your ex players as much as you want.

Its one of the few things you have left. A fallacy, lol
    Fellow professionals' opinions are fallacies but yours is god given wisdom. Ok!

All I know is when dudes like Rooney, Scholes, Giggs, Berbatov are coming out and calling Messi better and even outright GOAT, that shit is bad. Kind of like when Wade comes out and explicitly says Jordan is GOAT. That's what I call a fatality!

Anyways the updated count is actually...

Messi: 120
    Ronaldo: 36

Yall been catching to the Alaba and FC Hollywood storyline? Uli Hoeness came out slandering his agent calling him a piranha, because the guy wants a 10m euro bag just so Alaba extends. Also rumors are circulating he's asking for 25m a year/5 year deal which pretty much puts him with Ramos as the most paid CB in the world, also 5m more than Lewy who was unreal this year.

I know he only wants to go to Madrid and Barca if he moves and neither club has shown any interest (which makes it laughable he's so demanding), but AW.. can you talk to your fam? Get them to drop a 50m euro bid so Bayern can ship his ass and get Upamecano as a replacement.

The penalty rules and the new implementation are cancer. In Italy and Serie Z, it's a ****ing joke. Why Napoli and Juve get 15+ pens a day. EPL has implemented new pen rules, and they're averaging almost a penalty per game this season.

Who wants to see this ****ing garbage?

^ Yea it's pretty cringy... Even an accidental or unavoidable handball like when the ball is blasted into a player is now a penalty. Not to mention more and more flopping for PK's. Soccer is officially becoming a soft finesse game like the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    Yall been catching to the Alaba and FC Hollywood storyline? Uli Hoeness came out slandering his agent calling him a piranha, because the guy wants a 10m euro bag just so Alaba extends. Also rumors are circulating he's asking for 25m a year/5 year deal which pretty much puts him with Ramos as the most paid CB in the world, also 5m more than Lewy who was unreal this year.

I know he only wants to go to Madrid and Barca if he moves and neither club has shown any interest (which makes it laughable he's so demanding), but AW.. can you talk to your fam? Get them to drop a 50m euro bid so Bayern can ship his ass and get Upamecano as a replacement.

Trouble in paradise

1-4 today lolol