Default This is my opinion on Dennis Smith Jr. - What is yours?

A lot of people are suddenly claiming DSJ is a good player, but last week no one wanted to touch him in a trade. I'm really glad he got traded because he is just bad in my opinion. Yes, he is athletic, but really does not help when he can't finish shots around the basket. Most times he just runs to the basket, jumps into the defender and hopes the shot does not get blocked. It's like he attacks, but with no idea how to finish the play. He is also very small, so his great leaping ability does not help much because he can't finish layups in traffic. He also takes a lot of dumb pullup jumpshots and 3 pointers. And all the bad decisions(4.3 apg, 3.1 turnovers). He is no pass first pointguard, but he can't really score much either. So glad he is done as a Mav.

What do you guys think?

NBA Legend

Default Re: This is my opinion on Dennis Smith Jr. - What is yours?

Haven't really watched enough of him so I can't say firsthand, but the kind of player you're describing is the kind of player I'm amazed GM's still get enamored with in 2019.

Guys who can do fancy/flashy things instead of guys who just play the most effective brand of team basketball. I'm sure idiots will think that's some kind of "race" jab, but it's absolutely not. I like rooting for anybody that plays good basketball.

For GM's to still be taking Marbury, Steve Francis type guys in the lottery just confounds the hell out of me. Guys like that just don't win. I'm amazed professional scouts still have such a bad understanding of what's important in basketball. I'd much rather take a good role player with the #1 pick than a weak "star" player like John Wall.

But yeah. I guess most teams just wanna sell jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Haven't really watched enough of him so I can't say firsthand, but the kind of player you're describing is the kind of player I'm amazed GM's still get enamored with in 2019.

Guys who can do fancy/flashy things instead of guys who just play the most effective brand of team basketball. I'm sure idiots will think that's some kind of "race" jab, but it's absolutely not. I like rooting for anybody that plays good basketball.

For GM's to still be taking Marbury, Steve Francis type guys in the lottery just confounds the hell out of me. Guys like that just don't win. I'm amazed professional scouts still have such a bad understanding of what's important in basketball. I'd much rather take a good role player with the #1 pick than a weak "star" player like John Wall.

But yeah. I guess most teams just wanna sell jerseys.
    While I do agree that solid role players are what should be sought after, at the end of the day it's all about coaching. Either that or the next top 15 GOAT carrying your franchise to greatness which is literally next to impossible.

But yeah teams should be dying for solid players that can fit all of the different roles that a winning team requires.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Undersized comboguards are never going to be winning players. Unfortunately, the NBA is a business first and a sports league second and GMs are probably pressured by owners to get these guys, because they look flashy and entertaining to the untrained eye/average fan.

Undersized combo guards can be great players ...... IF IF IFFFFFFFF they are efficient. Which they almost never are.

Unless they have good decision making, great 3pt shooting ability, and low turnovers, these types of Marbury/Francis dudes will just beat up on the bottom half of the league in the regular season, and get hella highlights and stats, and then lose to teams with great efficiency in the post-season.

Westbrook is the pinnacle of these dudes playstyle, but even he is realizing this season that he needs to shoot less, limit turnovers, limit bad shots, to be truly effective against the top 1/4th of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    Undersized comboguards are never going to be winning players.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Never been impressed with him

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm

JET was an undersized combo guard, but I wouldnt consider him a chucker. He could spot up and he could make plays, but he wasn't a ball dominant player like an Isiah Thomas, Deon Waiters, etc etc

This guy is an exception for ending bran's career

totally agree. i see nothing special in him aside from his athleticism. no outstanding playmaking ability, no explosive scoring, no tenacious defense, i dont see the hype.

He's alright. Westbrook he is not. But who knows, Russ was given the green light when he came into the league and given a chance. Not shoved aside once another ball handler was drafted (Harden). Imagine if OKC gave up on Westbrook once Harden showed how good he could be and basically scapegoated him. Oh wait, this is ISH. I'm sure people will tell me OKC wins a chip if they traded away Westbrook

But the thing about DSJ is he is injury prone... I got sick of seeing KP always hurt even before this acl.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    He's alright. Westbrook he is not. But who knows, Russ was given the green light when he came into the league and given a chance. Not shoved aside once another ball handler was drafted (Harden). Imagine if OKC gave up on Westbrook once Harden showed how good he could be and basically scapegoated him. Oh wait, this is ISH. I'm sure people will tell me OKC wins a chip if they traded away Westbrook

But the thing about DSJ is he is injury prone... I got sick of seeing KP always hurt even before this acl.
    Westbrook could very well be the 3rd best of that trio.
    I wonder if Durant wants to play with Harden again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy
    Westbrook could very well be the 3rd best of that trio.
    I wonder if Durant wants to play with Harden again.
    If we weren't so sure KD wants to get PAID, he very well could have gone back to OKC to help them win a ring.

But he wants as much money as he can get. Apparently making $27 million a year is not enough. Which is why he's been linked to the Knicks... even though he prob won't even consider them.

Saw a basketball once

come on man, ur a mavs fan you should know that Terry was one of the best shooters in the league year and year out. DSJ flat out cant shoot. his 3pt % is fools gold right now at 34%. look at his january numbers. 28%. dude has very low basketball IQ. will never be better then prime devin harris

Hes 21 years old........ Hes still learning the game. He didnt play in his senior year of HS either. Hes been very impressive so far