Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Zion is underwhelming

I just watched Duke vs Wake Forest, so I am now an expert on Zion.

Here's my take:

Primitive ball player with decent bball IQ and very good athleticism.

His post game, while better than Lebrons, is still bottom tier at the NBA level. He is going to get blocked A LOT when he tries that back down finger roll (really more of a "whatever works hail mary move").

Reminds me A LOT of Julius Randle except a more willing passer. He just bumbles into the paint by sheer force and then looks to pass out/to backdoor cut, when the defense collapses.

His size is largely wasted on the wing. No need to be that big as a perimeter player. Doesn't use his size on the wing. Should play post, but doesn't have the game.

Conclusion:

Zion won't be a star unless he develops an elite post game to back down smaller defenders.

Default Re: Zion is black

We know

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Default Re: Zion is underwhelming

A finger roll out of the post is far from a whatever hail mary move... Karl Malone crushed it on the left block with basically identical size / strength of Zion using that move only he didn't jump as high.

Wilt's go to "inside turn" move as well, off of either block.

Malone and Wilt did it.

One of them hail married their way to the best scorer in NBA history the other is #2 all-time in points.

Jabbar, McHale, and a litany of others did the finger roll out of the post as an option. That's a nice move so long as he understands the timing and at the college level he seems to. The idea is to beat the defender with quickness on the jump after you've used strength to find your spot - it really can work well. Most bigs don't have the touch to combine with the strength.

LOL.

People that call Zion not very skilled and simply an amazing athlete that can dunk have no idea what they are talking about. Zion is incredibly skilled. Good rebounder, can handle it, willing passer, nonstop motor, amazing body control when driving, knows how to use his body to gain position/rebound, absolutely ridiculous instincts which will allow him to dominate weakside blocks and will get a ton of deflections which will lead to steals and fast breaks.

People only think Zion is unskilled because they watched his highlights from high school where he played against guys a foot smaller and 100 pounds lighter than him.

He is really skilled and people just don't want to admit it. The ONLY thing that will keep him from being a star is if he becomes injury prone.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Actually keep posting how bad he is I want word to spread so Cavs guaranteed get a chance to pick him

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    Actually keep posting how bad he is I want word to spread so Cavs guaranteed get a chance to pick him

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    A finger roll out of the post is far from a whatever hail mary move... Karl Malone crushed it on the left block with basically identical size / strength of Zion using that move only he didn't jump as high.

Wilt's go to "inside turn" move as well, off of either block.

Malone and Wilt did it.

One of them hail married their way to the best scorer in NBA history the other is #2 all-time in points.

Jabbar, McHale, and a litany of others did the finger roll out of the post as an option. That's a nice move so long as he understands the timing and at the college level he seems to. The idea is to beat the defender with quickness on the jump after you've used strength to find your spot - it really can work well. Most bigs don't have the touch to combine with the strength.

I agree. Those who are good at it are fine. Mchale used to kill it with the finger roll and Kareem had a good one too. Far as wings....Penny had a good one in the post. So did Drexler both driving and back to the basket and sweeping across the lane. Its useful.

Zion's advantages at the college level make his look so good. He'll be an exciting player in the NBA but I'm not sure about his impact in the W/L column. He could be Randle 2.0 which isn't bad at all but don't expect a franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    LOL.

People that call Zion not very skilled and simply an amazing athlete that can dunk have no idea what they are talking about. Zion is incredibly skilled. Good rebounder, can handle it, willing passer, nonstop motor, amazing body control when driving, knows how to use his body to gain position/rebound, absolutely ridiculous instincts which will allow him to dominate weakside blocks and will get a ton of deflections which will lead to steals and fast breaks.

People only think Zion is unskilled because they watched his highlights from high school where he played against guys a foot smaller and 100 pounds lighter than him.

He is really skilled and people just don't want to admit it. The ONLY thing that will keep him from being a star is if he becomes injury prone.
    CTRL + F + Shooting = 0 result

Zion has haters already. Dude is gonna be goat. Get ready for it

He looks like bust in the making. Anthony Bennett 2.0.

I keep seeing him listed as 6-6 but he plays like a big. Haven't we seen enough of these player go to the NBA and they have no advantage.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

There is too much running today with too many open lanes for him to not be better than Bennett. Hes gonna be a highlight machine week one with the right guards to run with.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    He looks like bust in the making. Anthony Bennett 2.0.

I keep seeing him listed as 6-6 but he plays like a big. Haven't we seen enough of these player go to the NBA and they have no advantage.
    Nope get ready for the new goat

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat

Here's my take:

Reminds me A LOT of Julius Randle except a more willing passer. He just bumbles into the paint by sheer force and then looks to pass out/to backdoor cut, when the defense collapses.

His size is largely wasted on the wing. No need to be that big as a perimeter player. Doesn't use his size on the wing. Should play post, but doesn't have the game.

Conclusion:

Zion won't be a star unless he develops an elite post game to back down smaller defenders.
    I think it would be quite the contrary - in the NBA high scoring pro-games Zion will be a start - a 20/10 player easy right from the beginning. And some corrections: He is a decent basketball player in terms of skills and ball handling and he is not very good athlete - he is an exceptional athlete for his size !!!

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat

Here's my take:

His post game, while better than Lebrons, is still bottom tier at the NBA level. He is going to get blocked A LOT when he tries that back down finger roll (really more of a "whatever works hail mary move").

Conclusion:

Well he's 18 so...

You need to watch more. On top of his athleticism he's more coordinated than anyone he's played against and always seems to be a step ahead.