Default Why is it ok that

The teams can initiate trades and releaae players but we bash the players for trying to control what happens to them? It's a business when the superiors do it but you're a coward etc etc when the worker tries?

Default Re: Why is it ok that

Because as a fan you don't want your players involved too much on the business side of things. It ruins the suspension of disbelief. We just want to see our heroes battle to the death for us.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

1. because a franchise as a whole is more important than an individual. When a crybaby demands a trade it can f*ck over every other teammate on that roster, it can cripple ticket sales, etc., it's a problem.

2. When you get traded as a player you still get your money. When a player pouts and sits out they aren't holding up their end of the bargain.

3. Players can negotiate a no trade clause if they want, but they'll have to give up something for it, guaranteed years or money. Is it really that shocking most players just take the money?

4. I'm never going to feel bad for a player that makes more money in a few years than most people will make in multiple lifetimes because they'd rather play in a city with a beach, or with more of their friends, or for a contender.

Just my opinion though.

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    The teams can initiate trades and releaae players but we bash the players for trying to control what happens to them? It's a business when the superiors do it but you're a coward etc etc when the worker tries?
    Probably the same reason why people are ok with the wealthy getting more and more every year while more and more people are barely surviving. People have been conditioned to obey their masters.

the same constraints to a player demanding a trade should apply to the franchise as well.

"Well he's under contract!"

funny how the player must honor this contract yet the franchise doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
    the same constraints to a player demanding a trade should apply to the franchise as well.

If a player has a no trade clause, the franchise will honour that.

Otherwise, its part of the game.....they earn millions for playing sport and being stars, i'm not going to feel sorry for them...

for one...you signed a contract saying you will play the next 4 years here no matter what...

To the fellas that keep talking about feeling sorry for the players, where did I say anything about feeling sorry for anybody?

Why is it ok for the team to initiate trades and control where the players go but not ok for the players to do it? I haven't seen a player sit out yet when they requested a trade by the way. I don't know why folks keep bringing that up either.

That also means the team agreed to the same contract terms you did.

If a player has a no trade clause, the franchise will honour that.

Otherwise, its part of the game.....they earn millions for playing sport and being stars, i'm not going to feel sorry for them...
    perfectly worded, it's part of the game both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    It's the same question LeBron was asking.

When Barnes (or any player) gets traded during the game (or whenever) it's looked at as a savy business move to help improve the team.

But when a player wants traded, they're called a bitch for not honoring the contract they signed and who cares what's best for them.

I see an argument for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist
    Probably the same reason why people are ok with the wealthy getting more and more every year while more and more people are barely surviving. People have been conditioned to obey their masters.

Super spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    It's the same question LeBron was asking.

When Barnes (or any player) gets traded during the game (or whenever) it's looked at as a savy business move to help improve the team.

But when a player wants traded, they're called a bitch for not honoring the contract they signed and who cares what's best for them.

I see an argument for both sides.
    yeah that's it right there. unfortunately that outlook will be taken as a negative because it's very anti-establishment and oh no we can't have that now can we?

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon

I agree entirely!