Default Re: How terrified are you of the Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post

go browns!!

God damn I love this thread

Right off the bat I posted

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    browns see their first real glimmer of hope in decades and suddenly the rest of the league is supposed to be "terrified"?
    Almost everyone who responded disagreed

Then the OBJ trade happened, and I was basically the only person in this thread who expressed any skepticism whatsoever.

Despite the fact that 2019 was the second time in OBJs career that he played in all 16 games, despite the fact that he was earning $18m (5th most in the NFL for WRs)... he ranked 26th in the league in yards and had just 4 TDs (which were both career lows aside from 2017 where he played just 4 games)

A couple weeks after the OBJ trade, when Browns mania was approaching its peak, I wrote the following post about expectations and red flags where I basically predicted to a T exactly how things were going to go for the browns

I hope the expectations arent too high, because there are a ton of red flags surrounding the browns -

head coach is completely unknown

offensive line is highly questionable, only 2 of the 5 are remotely proven

their new celebrity WR was insanely expensive and has a history of injuries and drama

their secondary is largely unproven
    The head coach was absolute shit and got fired

Baker was the 9th most sacked QB, fumbled 6 times, and completed just 59.4% of his passes

The new celebrity WR drastically underperformed, especially considering his price

Statistically the secondary performed OK... but the secondary was never really properly tested considering that most teams did not need to do much passing to beat them. Overall the Browns ranked in the bottom third of the league in defensive DVOA

Anyway, I suppose its pretty stupid to pat yourself on the back for correctly guessing that the Browns would have a disappointing season, considering that anyone who made this prediction during the past several decades was correct... but I still told you so!

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

God damn I love this thread

Right off the bat I posted

Almost everyone who responded disagreed

Then the OBJ trade happened, and I was basically the only person in this thread who expressed any skepticism whatsoever.

Despite the fact that 2019 was the second time in OBJs career that he played in all 16 games, despite the fact that he was earning $18m (5th most in the NFL for WRs)... he ranked 26th in the league in yards and had just 4 TDs (which were both career lows aside from 2017 where he played just 4 games)

A couple weeks after the OBJ trade, when Browns mania was approaching its peak, I wrote the following post about expectations and red flags where I basically predicted to a T exactly how things were going to go for the browns

The head coach was absolute shit and got fired

Baker was the 9th most sacked QB, fumbled 6 times, and completed just 59.4% of his passes

The new celebrity WR drastically underperformed, especially considering his price

Statistically the secondary performed OK... but the secondary was never really properly tested considering that most teams did not need to do much passing to beat them. Overall the Browns ranked in the bottom third of the league in defensive DVOA

Anyway, I suppose its pretty stupid to pat yourself on the back for correctly guessing that the Browns would have a disappointing season, considering that anyone who made this prediction during the past several decades was correct... but I still told you so!
    For the record, I am pretty sketchy about this year too. Stefanski will ultimately be a massive upgrade from Kitchens and I like the way his offense matches with Baker's skillset. You have an offense reliant on wide zone running concepts that should do well to feature a great RB combo (Chubb and Hunt) and a lot of 12 personnel and flexbone formations (two tight ends with two receivers) and 21 personnel (2 WRs, 1 TEs, 1 RB and 1 FB) that should allow Baker to work out of playaction ... something he does extremely well.

And, I like that they seemingly filled major holes along the offensive line with Jederick Wills (LT) and Jack Conklin (RT) along with having Bill Callahan as the line coach.

The defense is still a work in progress and losing Grant Delpit, slotted as the starting FS, to a torn Achilles is just brutal, but there is talent all over the place.

Thing is, Covid19 is really going to favor teams that don't have much turnover on the roster and certainly not teams with first-year head coaches and staffs trying to implement completely new schemes. I watched the Browns scrimmage today and things just looked a little off. Communication issues across the entire team.

Throw in the AFC North will be an absolute meatgrinder and another 6-10 type season wouldn't shock me. I think where the Browns could start to turn things around is giving Stefanski this weird season as a start and then an entire offseason leading to 2021, but who knows what will happen between now and then with the roster, coaching staff and ownership. Knowing this franchise, they'll probably disappoint and fire everybody before it even has a chance to work. FML

Tough Break Cleveland... not sure what to say here other than I'm dropping Austin Hooper from my Fantasy Team, completely forgot they still have Njoku.

I'm dropping Austin Hooper from my Fantasy Team, completely forgot they still have Njoku.
    but I didn't see that Njoku got hurt week 1. This is just now being brought to my attention. 5 weeks?

Hooper gets the start over Noah Fant next week for Thursday Night Football.

Hope the Browns can bounce back against Cincy.

Week 4 - October 4, 2020 - Noon

may have to get tickets to this one if they're available

Tickets secured, I will be attending tomorrow’s game.

Should be interesting to watch a Cowboys game with the stadium half empty.

How are you enjoying the game so far

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    How are you enjoying the game so far
    Well, I went to an NFL game during the Covid chaos... mission accomplished.... and while I was pissed off for 3 quarters, still had a good time.

thought we were going to get it done there at the end.... but give the Browns credit for a good play call on that reverse.

We are basically 0-4 right now... but if we can start getting some W's within the division... all will be well in Cowboy's Nation.

Need VE and S.Lee back badly.

Congrats to the Brownies on a solid 3-1 start.

Well, I went to an NFL game during the Covid chaos... mission accomplished.... and while I was pissed off for 3 quarters, still had a good time.

thought we were going to get it done there at the end.... but give the Browns credit for a good play call on that reverse.

We are basically 0-4 right now... but if we can start getting some W's within the division... all will be well in Cowboy's Nation.

Need VE and S.Lee back badly.

Congrats to the Brownies on a solid 3-1 start.

5-2