Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: How terrified are you of the Browns

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    In true Browns fan form, I was beside myself when the trade was reported -- not in glee, but anger. I thought it was way too much to give up. After being inundated with nothing but love from the media and casual fans (even a lot of diehards who know stuff), I've come around on it ... but I still think it was a lot to give up and I'm not sure what kind of impact OBJ will have on our locker room.
    Not only was it a lot of value to give up in terms of the picks (didnt Antonio Brown just go for a 3rd and a 5th?), but OBJ just started a new contract and his salary is nearly 10% of the entire salary cap... so in addition to giving up the picks the Browns are taking on a TON of salary.
    Last edited by Nanners; 03-20-2019 at 05:14 PM.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I hated the Cooper trade when Dallas first made it, now I feel like it was the correct move.

With OBJ at least you already know you have a proven talent. Something that cant be guaranteed with any draft pick. And the Browns are familiar with missing in the draft.

The only thing that would concern me with OBJ is his antics.

I dont understand how you guys can watch the Patriots dominate the league year after year after year, and still not grasp the importance of salary management and depth.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    Not only was it a lot of value to give up in terms of the picks (didnt Antonio Brown just go for a 3rd and a 5th?), but OBJ just started a new contract and his salary is nearly 10% of the entire salary cap... so in addition to giving up the picks the Browns are taking on a TON of salary.
    The Browns have tons of cap room and they were missing a No. 1 receiver, so I'm not as worried about devoting $15m a year to a 26-year-old as long as he can stay healthy (big *if*) and not mess up the locker room chemistry (another *if*). He is also only 26, so he is on the same timeline as our elite young talent. When you consider CJ Mosley got more than that and he is a linebacker... not my primary concern.

As for Antonio Brown, as great as he is, he seemingly totally lost his marbles and he is going to be in his 30s this year. Again, a guy like that doesn't fit into our timeline the way OBJ seemingly does.

I think my biggest problem came down to changing my focus. For so long I have been so keyed in on draft picks and knowing what prospects should go where, because we've been so bad for so long. Being players in free agency is just completely foreign to Browns fans.

I have to re-adjust my thinking. The 17th pick in the draft plus the lower of our two 3rds in 2020 really isn't obscene for a No. 1 receiver assuming he is that. Losing Pepper hurts, but box safeties are replaceable in today's NFL.

Like I said, I've talked myself into it... but I don't think it was the highway robbery all of the talking heads like to think. It was a lot to give up.

I dont understand how you guys can watch the Patriots dominate the league year after year after year, and still not grasp the importance of salary management and depth.
    That's fair, but they were also reportedly inquiring about Beckham and they've made semi-similar moves in the past for receivers (Moss, Cooks). While BB is an absolute genius in how he manages his rosters, it is pretty clear to me that he does prefer to have top-flight talent at WR when the opportunity presents itself.

I think Dorsey has a pretty fair track record as well. BB is the greatest ever, but Dorsey is no slouch.

That's fair, but they were also reportedly inquiring about Beckham and they've made semi-similar moves in the past for receivers (Moss, Cooks). While BB is an absolute genius in how he manages his rosters, it is pretty clear to me that he does prefer to have top-flight talent at WR when the opportunity presents itself.
    I'll give you Cooks, although Cooks was on an rookie affordable deal they did give up a 1st rounder for him...but the Pats got moss for a 4th rounder and he was on very reasonable 3m contract
    Last edited by Nanners; 03-20-2019 at 07:25 PM.

The Browns have tons of cap room and they were missing a No. 1 receiver, so I'm not as worried about devoting $15m a year to a 26-year-old as long as he can stay healthy (big *if*) and not mess up the locker room chemistry (another *if*). He is also only 26, so he is on the same timeline as our elite young talent. When you consider CJ Mosley got more than that and he is a linebacker... not my primary concern.

As for Antonio Brown, as great as he is, he seemingly totally lost his marbles and he is going to be in his 30s this year. Again, a guy like that doesn't fit into our timeline the way OBJ seemingly does.

I think my biggest problem came down to changing my focus. For so long I have been so keyed in on draft picks and knowing what prospects should go where, because we've been so bad for so long. Being players in free agency is just completely foreign to Browns fans.

I have to re-adjust my thinking. The 17th pick in the draft plus the lower of our two 3rds in 2020 really isn't obscene for a No. 1 receiver assuming he is that. Losing Pepper hurts, but box safeties are replaceable in today's NFL.

Like I said, I've talked myself into it... but I don't think it was the highway robbery all of the talking heads like to think. It was a lot to give up.
    For the record, I dont think it was that bad of a trade for the Browns so much as I think it was a great move for the Giants. The Giants arent winning shit until they rebuild and thats going to take a couple years, OBJ would be completely wasted on their roster.

Its not a brownsian trade at all... if trading your overpaid playmakers for picks isnt a good move, then why does Belichick do it CONSTANTLY?

When you trade a guy getting paid 15+m/yr for picks, you arent just getting the picks, you are also receiving 18m in salary room to be spent on free agents and other players.

The Giants didnt just trade for a chance to land a playmaker, they are trading for a chance to land a playmaker on a rookie contract, and freeing up enough cap space to add one or two additional playmakers.
    OBJ is worth 2 1st rounders imo.. 1st and 3rd is underwhelming for a player with his talent and abilities.

At some point, you have to go into win-now mode. You can't forever be in perpetual rebuilding mode. You have a good QB now and solid pieces across the board. You got the players to make the playoffs and make some noise. Don't throw it all away like the Lakers may since LeBron entered the picture - Lakers had so many young pieces they didn't develop and plan on throwing away to the wolves to build around a 36yr LeBron.

17th pick is not guaranteed to provide you with what OBJ does. Might or might not. Why not go with the sure thing?
    Last edited by bladefd; 03-21-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Facts Are Misleading

It was a good deal for both sides. Baker and Garrett are both on rookie deals for a couple more years, they can spend the money on WR no problem. Patriots are the a good comp here because Brady hasn't been on a rookie deal in 15 years.

As long as the Giants don't take a QB this draft.

The correct move is to tank for Tua next year. Eli is very capable of tha

It feels weird that the Steelers are now a huge shitshow while the Browns are the exciting team with a ton of potential. It should be a good couple of games but this isn't exactly how I'd envisioned the rivalry getting restarted. I find it hard to root for the Steelers these days (I just can't ****ing stand Ben) and I'll probably be secretly rooting for Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    It feels weird that the Steelers are now a huge shitshow while the Browns are the exciting team with a ton of potential. It should be a good couple of games but this isn't exactly how I'd envisioned the rivalry getting restarted. I find it hard to root for the Steelers these days (I just can't ****ing stand Ben) and I'll probably be secretly rooting for Cleveland.

Donald Trump is PoTUS.
    Bruce Jenner is a woman named Kait.
    Bill Cosby is the most prolific serial rapist ever.
    Jailblazers says he will root for the Browns against the Steelers.

Life is a flat circle.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    OBJ is worth 2 1st rounders imo.. 1st and 3rd is underwhelming for a player with his talent and abilities.
    Your opinion is wrong. The picks are worth FAR more, especially considering the fact that Odell is currently the most expensive WR in the entire NFL.

At some point, you have to go into win-now mode. You can't forever be in perpetual rebuilding mode. You have a good QB now and solid pieces across the board. You got the players to make the playoffs and make some noise. Don't throw it all away like the Lakers may since LeBron entered the picture - Lakers had so many young pieces they didn't develop and plan on throwing away to the wolves to build around a 36yr LeBron.
    The Browns have sucked dick for half a century... and they most certainly have not become a "win-now" team just because they finally drafted a QB who doesnt look like trash.

Comparing the Lakers to the Browns just illustrates the fact that you are not only clueless about football but also have no clue how the NBA works... impressive

17th pick is not guaranteed to provide you with what OBJ does. Might or might not. Why not go with the sure thing?
    In a nutshell its because of this thing called opportunity cost

Your opinion is wrong. The picks are worth FAR more, especially considering the fact that Odell is currently the most expensive WR in the entire NFL.
    ...and a top 5 player at his position (maybe the best but I got Julio & Brown & DeAndre over him) in a pass-first league. Brown is going to be on decline very soon so I expect Odell to be a top 3 WR very soon. He is worth every penny -- even Belichik tried to trade for him.

#17 pick is very valuable, no doubt, but absolutely no guarantee to become a superstar like Odell. Nothing is a guarantee, brotha! 3rd rounder even less probability of being a starter or to even stay in the league at all..

I'm not even sold on Giants GM turning those picks into solid picks. What has he done so far that makes you optimistic in big picture?

The Browns have sucked dick for half a century... and they most certainly have not become a "win-now" team just because they finally drafted a QB who doesnt look like trash.

Comparing the Lakers to the Browns just illustrates the fact that you are not only clueless about football but also have no clue how the NBA works... impressive
    Browns have an elite offense on paper - only potential weakness I see is o-line. Their defense is nothing to sneeze at - I do have questions about their secondary but it's not complete sh!t.. What else do you want?

I mean yeah, paper doesn't consider chemistry or teamwork or any intangibles but you can't keep rebuilding. If you have a chance at a sure thing in Odell, you pull the trigger. Especially when you have weapons and depth on roster.

You can't throw it all away. Chances like these don't come often. As for Lakers, they have been a mess for years much like Browns (Browns for much longer as you mentioned) - we had a couple good drafts, and we had to dump Russell to get rid of Mozgov. Then we dumped Randle/Lopez for future that I'm hopeful for but not guaranteed. We will probably be dumping Ingram/Kuzma/Lonzo/Hart/etc next but not sure what the future holds and for who.. We are obviously building around LeBron but so many questions. Browns have been like that for decades - nothing but either trash talent or questions..

In a nutshell its because of this thing called opportunity cost
    If given a choice between keeping 17th pick & 95th pick vs trading it for a young superstar at one of the most important positions (in modern nfl) who just entered his prime, I'm choosing the latter.
    Last edited by bladefd; 04-06-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Donald Trump is PoTUS.
    Bruce Jenner is a woman named Kait.
    Bill Cosby is the most prolific serial rapist ever.
    Jailblazers says he will root for the Browns against the Steelers.

Life is a flat circle.