Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: What are you listening to?

I really like Page's meandering guitar that leads nowhere, like on Over the Hills and Far Away, that sounds like some shit.

It's interesting, too, since I know how to both read and write English, and since I know what the various definitions for "great" are, that one could make the claim that The Rolling Stones are the greatest band of all time. Can't say the same for Zeppelin, that band that gets plugged all the time from a small-genre radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    Well, I can see that you can talk a bunch of shit. What do you think of Mother's Little Helper? Good lyrics? How about No Expectations? Good lyrics? How about Street Fighting Man? Good lyrics? They all kick the crap out of anything Zeppelin ever offered up lyrically.

You can tell they knew how to bring the instruments together in a compositional manner and craft some songs.
    Mother's little helper was a song from ealier albums I would've mentioned, but it kind of falls under hits.

With the whole opiate crisis it's more relevant than ever. Evrn their hits had some great meaningful lyrics. And although not as deep I think Gimme Shelter is great poetry. Morrison or Cobain singing that it would be hailed as good poetry, but it's the Stones so most people think it's cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Mother's little helper was a song from ealier albums I would've mentioned, but it kind of falls under hits.

With the whole opiate crisis it's more relevant than ever. Evrn their hits had some great meaningful lyrics. And although not as deep I think Gimme Shelter is great poetry. Morrison or Cobain singing that it would be hailed as good poetry, but it's the Stones so most people think it's cheesy.
    Yeah, any of those 100 hits you had in particular in mind, or was it just Gimme Shelter?

Prometheus, yes, I was referring to the four-album run beginning with Beggars Banquet (sans Ya Ya's). I believe it has another name it is aka but I don't recall atm. It's amazing that they all reached #1 considering that they had to compete with the Beatles during their prime.

Yeah, any of those 100 hits you had in particular in mind, or was it just Gimme Shelter?
    Just an example. You named Street fighting man and Mother's little helper already.

Satisfaction was unheard of back in the day. Both in a literal and figurative sense.

In chronological orderand the top of my head I think those hits(not going strictly by single releases - some songs became more famous than their singles and honestly I guess there are few songs that were actual hits I don't know they were) have good to great lyrics:
    Satisfaction, As tears go by(eventhough made famous by Marianne Faithful), Mother's little helper/Paint it black, Sympathy for the Devil, Street fighting man, Gimme shelter, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Wild horses, Shine a light and as I said before I think their musical content dumbed down after Exile, Especially the lyrics on their hits. I love "Miss you", but there's nothing much left. Even if the lyrics weren't dylanesque both glitter twins had a knack for using "beautiful" words that smoothed into a song.

From the later songs I love "Out of control" the most, but Jagger had a more direct, literal approach later on.

btw: How do you write songtitles correctly in english? TBH something like Mother's little helper looks so odd to me. I'd write it Mother's Little Helper or going by my language's orthography it'd be Mother's little Helper. Both don't look as weird to me.

Not the point of the thread, but another problem with Zeppelin compared to those other bands is that their albums do not flow as well as those of the others do. This is very easy to hear by actually listening to all of the bands instead of just focusing on one. They also tend to play a riff repeatedly without much deviation. A band like Black Sabbath, for example, would play many different riffs in each song, both changing key and metre, something Zep didn't do. I don't see how Zeppelin can be credited with playing any heavy metal when they didn't since they didn't combine the stylistic elements that comprise heavy metal; unconventional changes in key and metre as well as slack-tuned instruments. Like I've said before, I challenge anyone to find a Zeppelin song that even has two of these three elements. What I'm stating are facts about music, not matters of taste.
    Last edited by 72-10; 03-06-2019 at 06:54 AM.

Overdrive, which of the Stones' 12 #1 singles in the US (I think they had more worldwide) is your favorite?

btw Shine a Light is one of my favorite songs, too.

Overdrive, which of the Stones' 12 #1 singles in the US (I think they had more worldwide) is your favorite?

btw Shine a Light is one of my favorite songs, too.

Not a singles guy, had to check which were #1 and among the US ones it's Ruby Tuesday for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Not a singles guy, had to check which were #1 and among the US ones it's Ruby Tuesday for me.
    Looks like someone's messed with the discography list over at Wikipedia - I'm pretty sure they have 12 #1s in the US.

Cool, that's one of my favorite Stones songs, though most people don't seem to like it these days. But for me, among US #1s, it's a no-brainer that it'd have to be Brown Sugar - Jumpin' Jack Flash only made it to #3, and I probably like that almost as much, though I do favor some other Stones tunes.

And btw, It's All Over Now, which hit #1 in the UK but not the US, is one of my favorite Stones songs albeit an early one.

That's cool; I guess what I had previously read meant 12 #1 singles between the US and UK markets. Here they are:

1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - July 1965
    2. Get Off of My Cloud - November 1965
    3. Paint It, Black - June 1966
    4/5. Let's Spend the Night Together/Ruby Tuesday - March 1967
    6. Honky Tonk Women - August 1969
    7. Brown Sugar - May 1971
    8. Angie - October 1973
    9. Miss You - August 1978
    10. It's All Over Now - July 1964 UK
    11. Little Red Rooster - December 1964 UK
    12. The Last Time - March 1965 UK

Out of Time by The Rolling Stones is another great tune.

Looks like someone's messed with the discography list over at Wikipedia - I'm pretty sure they have 12 #1s in the US.

Cool, that's one of my favorite Stones songs, though most people don't seem to like it these days. But for me, among US #1s, it's a no-brainer that it'd have to be Brown Sugar - Jumpin' Jack Flash only made it to #3, and I probably like that almost as much, though I do favor some other Stones tunes.

And btw, It's All Over Now, which hit #1 in the UK but not the US, is one of my favorite Stones songs albeit an early one.
    That's cool; I guess what I had previously read meant 12 #1 singles between the US and UK markets. Here they are:

1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - July 1965
    2. Get Off of My Cloud - November 1965
    3. Paint It, Black - June 1966
    4/5. Let's Spend the Night Together/Ruby Tuesday - March 1967
    6. Honky Tonk Women - August 1969
    7. Brown Sugar - May 1971
    8. Angie - October 1973
    9. Miss You - August 1978
    10. It's All Over Now - July 1964 UK
    11. Little Red Rooster - December 1964 UK
    12. The Last Time - March 1965 UK

Out of Time by The Rolling Stones is another great tune.
    I really like "It's all over now", but it's a Bobby Womack tune and I wouldn't put it in a list of their greatest stuff - hard putting covers there. Even when the Stones made them famous.

I don't enjoy their demos that much, alway steered clear of those compilations. Same for England's and No. 2/Chess Sessions. Their production was total ass until December's.

Man... you really don't like Led Zeppelin that's cool.

I have never been a fan of anyone calling them "metal". So I totally agree with that...

What do you mean when you say I can talk a bunch of shit? I was praising the Stones...

And it would have taken literally 45 seconds to read that post. No need to be a dick. You misread the small part you did read anyway - I said I'm not a drummer.

No, I mostly stated facts that are major detracting qualities to the band relative to the other bands.

I really like Page's meandering guitar that leads nowhere, like on Over the Hills and Far Away, that sounds like some shit.
    I'm assuming this is sarcasm? Hard to tell. I actually really like everything Page did with that song. I always thought his arrangements were beautiful - his layering of multiple guitar tracks is always done very well. And that song has like 6 different riffs in it that are each infectious.

I agree their lyrics are mostly dumb, but that particular song is mildly clever and has a good message.