Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How come GM's and scouts mainly use eye test but most people on here use stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23
    I didn't say they don't value stats. They do. It's just not the most important measurement. They use eye test first and then use stats and analytics after.

R.j Barretts stats arnt the best in college but he's probably gonna go number 1 in the draft. Why do you think that is?
    Who are all these people who are using stats and stats only? Pretty sure anyone who cares enough about basketball to be talking basketball and using stats...cares enough to actually watch it lol.

Anyways not sure why you think Barrett is going #1? Zion has been the clear #1 guy for some time now.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Default Re: How come GM's and scouts mainly use eye test but most people on here use stats?

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Sabermetrics works much better with baseball, it’s not nearly as a dynamic sport compared to basketball. It’s basically and individual sport disguised as a team sport. Analytics still has it’s place in Basketball and Football but it’s not as useful as it is to Baseball.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly... for now.

If you wait 30 years, AI will be able to analyze everything to depths that we can’t currently truly have an appreciation for...

But then again... what’ll be the point of competing at that point lol...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    I agree with you wholeheartedly... for now.

If you wait 30 years, AI will be able to analyze everything to depths that we can’t currently truly have an appreciation for...

But then again... what’ll be the point of competing at that point lol...
    Maybe, maybe not. Basketball is one of those things with so many interacting factors that it could surpass some of the most sophisticated of AI’s capabilities. AI can’t quantify personality types and chemistry. AI can tell you a certain player should mathematically be the most compatible with another and it not pan out as planned. On the opposite end there are players that will overachieve with eachother that could not be predicted by any computer no matter how intelligent. There is a nearly unquantifiable human aspect that computers may very well never be able to figure out.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Maybe, maybe not. Basketball is one of those things with so many interacting factors that it could surpass some of the most sophisticated of AI’s capabilities. AI can’t quantify personality types and chemistry. AI can tell you a certain player should mathematically be the most compatible with another and it not pan out as planned. On the opposite end there are players that will overachieve with eachother that could not be predicted by any computer no matter how intelligent. There is a nearly unquantifiable human aspect that computers may very well never be able to figure out.
    Not yet... the internet has made technology development exponential. The birth of AI is going to compound significantly on top of that. Things are going to pick up faster for humanity than we are able to comprehend currently.

I foresee a future in which body language, facial expressions, play style, diet, skill, genetics etc... are all able to be quantified. I mean, depths such as these in particular may or may not be in our lifetimes... so it might not matter to us... but eventually, it/we will get there. Stretch the timeline out long enough? No doubt about it. I'd be absolutely shocked if all of this hadn't come to a complete fruition within 100 years. Stretch it out over 1000? Uh? Yeah... lol.

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Most people on here don't know basketball so...