Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should we at least go back to the minimum wage of 1968?

In 1968 the minimum wage was $1.60 , or in today's money because of inflation about $11.57. I keep hearing people talk about $15, and I'd be okay with that if it was only for companies like Amazon, Walmart etc. I wouldnt want to hurt small businesses, and it would allow them to compete in some form. But, with that being said I dont want some lazy person skating by with that pay so there would have to be some type of mass firing for a lot of these companies. My grandfather was Vice President and Treasurer of a successful warehouse company called McMaster Carr and gave his employees great pay, and benefits. But you had to be quick witted, and work really hard or you'd get fired fast. Employees were absolutely terrified of him lol. Your workhorse at a Home Depot who is the one making shit actually happen on overnights would be the average guy there if not below. So they only had the best people actually filling jobs. Obviously retail is different, but I'd live to hear your thoughts.

Default Re: Should we at least go back to the minimum wage of 1968?

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/02/65359...ncluding-temps

Amazon has already set that in place

NBA Legend

Germany didnt have a minimum wage until 2015, and had one of the highest qualities of life for decades prior.

They only instituted it once they started bringing in a surplus of cheap labor to water down the cost of hiring. Adding a minimum wage was a facade to assuge the public and make the government

some of those min. wage laws vary tho. for example: arizona min wage law is 11/hr, but i believe it only applies to large employers. so if you have 5 employees, you can abide by federal minimum wage.

GOP is trying to circumvent this by allowing large employers to pay 7.25 an hour to part time employees under the age of 21. you won

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Plato is right on this one. Minimum wage has always been a scam because it gives people a number to settle on without having to think about or negotiate a rate based on relative purchasing power at the given time.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    https://www.npr.org/2018/10/02/65359...ncluding-temps

Amazon has already set that in place
    Oh wow Iin didn't realize thanks for the heads up. J just threw their name out there since it was the first big company I thought of lol

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Plato is right on this one. Minimum wage has always been a scam because it gives people a number to settle on without having to think about or negotiate a rate based on relative purchasing power at the given time.

The only reason it’s been a staple in the US for so long is because weve brought in so many poor immigrants over the last hundred years, if companies still paid them 50 cents an hour all the libs would pretend to give a shit about those people and start virtue signaling like crazy, itd be a bad political look.

European countries (until recently) didnt have to deal with huge immigration numbers and had a totally different labor dynamic. When you dont have desperate immigrants ready to work, citizens end up with better pay.

The big scam to keep the wealthy on top is bringing in “refugees” and adding a minimum wage so idiot voters think their Dem reps care about “everyday people.”

You can explain this a million times to maxfly and bladefd, but they just repeat “minimum wage” on a loop. Rethinking a view goes against their programmming. They can only repeat.

NBA Legend

[QUOTE=highwhey]some of those min. wage laws vary tho. for example: arizona min wage law is 11/hr, but i believe it only applies to large employers. so if you have 5 employees, you can abide by federal minimum wage.

GOP is trying to circumvent this by allowing large employers to pay 7.25 an hour to part time employees under the age of 21. you won

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Germany didnt have a minimum wage until 2015, and had one of the highest qualities of life for decades prior.

They only instituted it once they started bringing in a surplus of cheap labor to water down the cost of hiring. Adding a minimum wage was a facade to assuge the public and make the government “appear” concerned with their interests.

It’s Machiavelli 101. Act conservatively while APPEARING liberal. That’s how you fool sheep and keep your power.

That’s what Dems in Congress exist for. To counterbalance “the mean Republicans” with the APPEARANCE of liberalism. Throwing out kumbaya rhetoric and the occasional entitlement crumbs. Libs then feel satisfied when Dems get them a “win,” which is actually far less than they COULD get if they actually had brains and balls to go for things on their own. Something tiny LOOKS more significant after you have a bunch of republican puppets pretending to be trying to block it. Makes dumb liberals like MaxFly and bladefd and tpols think they got something meaningful.

Minimum wage is one of those things. It is not a REAL THING in economics. How many times do I have to explain this? It is a short term illusion, DESIGNED to fool idiots.

Dont be one of those idiots, Jonny.
    I dont think you actually read what I said lol. My stance on it is far from what hardcore progressives think

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    I dont think you actually read what I said lol. My stance on it is far from what hardcore progressives think
    Your exact thread title was “Should we at least go back to the minimum wage of 1968?” which you said was 11.60 adjusted for inflation.

It sounds like youre advocating that we “at least go back to the minimum wage of 1968.”

So... if there was a misunderstanding, I dont think the fault is on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Your exact thread title was “Should we at least go back to the minimum wage of 1968?” which you said was 11.60 adjusted for inflation.

It sounds like youre advocating that we “at least go back to the minimum wage of 1968.”

So... if there was a misunderstanding, I dont think the fault is on my end.
    Oooh okay so you think peoples way of life would be just fine in the states on let's say....$3 an hour? You must be a fan of welfare then

I was also talking only about large businesses so smaller ones have a way of competing. Competition is good no?

Btw before you reply with negotiating raises, and people working their way up you might want to watch this and consider how many people dont have that much potential

https://youtu.be/9Rxfem5nxoA

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Btw before you reply with negotiating raises, and people working their way up you might want to watch this and consider how many people dont have that much potential

https://youtu.be/9Rxfem5nxoA

Dont worry. Youve convinced me.

Edit: Was just teasing with this comment, didnt mean it seiously. My bad if it sounded like a real personal attack.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 02-28-2019 at 01:34 PM.

You might also want to think about how many jobs are going to be lost in the coming years because of technology/AI. My forklift skills might be completely useless in twenty years when retailers/warehouses have machines to do that for them, like my Grandfathers old company has now. Or something like my buddies Job at FedEx