Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Default Re: The all No Highlights team.

Just saw Walton mentioned. Good pick at center I didn’t even think of him. My only caveat is he’s a good passer and it’s hard not to be entertained by some of his passes but his scoring methods are very bog standard and far from excessive.

Also just thought of Bob Pettit at PF... he dunked once in his entire career and all he did was pummel people on single dribble drives to a layup, offensive boards to a layup, or fundamentally sound jump shots. He got fouled a lot and so made a big portion of his points at the free throw line too. Very few film clips of his look exciting though most all of it looks fundamentally correct.

Oscar Robertson at point guard. His flashiest move on the dribble was he’d go behind his back every blue moon but it wasn’t even to score on someone it was only to protect the ball... could dunk but never did. He tried on purpose to play polar opposite of Harlem Globetrotter basketball due to his high school coaches influence. He deliberately was all substance and zero style so he’s gotta get a nod here too.

Pettit and Robertson were the first to come to my mind, as well. However, having a 6'9 guy and a 6'5 PG play as they did in the 60's should count as something. Maybe Guy Rodgers would be a good alternative to Oscar and Dolph Schayes to Pettit.
    SF's: The 80's were full of those mid-range masters who could score 30+ on a daily basis, but couldn't make the highlight reels to save their lives: Alex English, Dantley, Aguirre, I'd even consider B.King, but he did get an occasional eyebrow raiser here and there. Hal Greer as a SG.
    Not sure I'd take Walton at C: He was too good a passer and a great shotblocker, as well. Neither would I pick Moses, his game was too high-octane. Just his intensity at offensive boards is a spectacle by itself. Lanier seems a better choice.

PS. Forgot Jerry Lucas and Kevin Love at PF-C.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

How about Wes Unseld at center while we're talking some of the vintage non-flashy players.

I've never seen him try to make anyone look bad. Jump shot. Pick and pop or roll. Offensive board. Never dunked so all layups or jumpers.

About the only thing highlight-esq about his game is that people running into his bulk bounce off of him like he's a brick wall but he didn't even really slam into them due to the rules of his era - they ran into him most of the time. He threw insane outlet passes chest-pass style but somehow made them look effortless/easy so they almost don't even look like highlights if you weren't a fan of the game

Moses Malone Moses Malone

Mvp Of Team No Highlights 4eva

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Terry Porter
    Rip Hamilton
    Rick Fox
    PJ Brown
    Chief was a good one. hiphopanonymous

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Danny Manning
    Chris Gatling
    LeBron James

Kawhi

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool

Mvp Of Team No Highlights 4eva
    I saw some interview with him at the end of his career and he joked about putting in

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    What is the best team you could assemble that would result in virtually nothing happening to excite a casual fan by how spectacular it was?

Im not asking just who you think is boring or who you dont like to watch. I dont like to watch James Harden...he doesnt make a no highlight team. He has....many highlights. Some of the most well known in recent memory.

So lets keep the "I dont like this guy" picks to a minimum.

I dont even think its an issue of most fundamentally sound guys.

Mark Price was fundamental as hell but he still had:

Chris Paul...crazy fundamentals. But he had moves and highlights to spare. Bird...fundamentals...not athletic...crazy highlights though. And plenty of good athletes are still boring.

Im asking you for a team of people....the best you could assemble....that would result in the least spectacular highlights. give me a starting 5 and maybe a couple bench guys.

Given like 3 seconds of thought....

John Stockton
    Klay Thompson?
    Sidney Moncrief
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    Moses Malone or Bob Lanier

Antawn Jamison and Chauncey Billups off the bench.

They might win 65 games and have no end of season highlight reel aside from Klay having an unspectacular 74 points once.

To be clear...I liked watching several of them. Stockton in particular is a joy....but im talking highlights not things that make guys like me get the fundamental swoons going.

I dont know if a 12 year old would crack a smile to see that teams highlights no matter how great it would be.

Give me your "Twitter doesnt care" superteam.
    Would this team get anywhere past a second round? Nah.
    I guess Stockton would be the alpha.

But Jordan would dismantle this team by himself.

or would Malone be the alpha?
    hmm..

Local High School Star TheCalmInsanity's Avatar

Udonis Haslem deserves mention

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP

That team would be totally insane....

[QUOTE=warriorfan]I saw some interview with him at the end of his career and he joked about putting in

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    How about Wes Unseld at center while we're talking some of the vintage non-flashy players.

I've never seen him try to make anyone look bad. Jump shot. Pick and pop or roll. Offensive board. Never dunked so all layups or jumpers.

About the only thing highlight-esq about his game is that people running into his bulk bounce off of him like he's a brick wall but he didn't even really slam into them due to the rules of his era - they ran into him most of the time. He threw insane outlet passes chest-pass style but somehow made them look effortless/easy so they almost don't even look like highlights if you weren't a fan of the game
    Yes, he's a great choice. Wasn't either a high volume scorer or a spectacular shot blocker and was still selected in the original 50 GOAT team.
    This is a topic for which the "since ABA merger" crap that ESPNers use to discredit certain players and records may actually apply. The ABA taught the NBA a lot of things when it comes to flash, which is why watching an ABA game looks practically not much different than watching an 80's NBA game (along with the - rarely used - 3 point shot, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP