Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default I had another realization at the local playground

I was getting my workout on one court and I could hear a group of guys playing on the other court. I didn't immediately look up to see who they were because I was in the middle of the workout

but i could HEAR them:

"Nice cut dawg"

"Oh don't be afraid to shoot that baby!!!.... let that FLY son"

"Oh he's too close to you - blow by!!.. haha all day
    "

This kind of talk made me think "okay, sounds like some ballers are getting a good sweat"

Then I happened to look at them for a few seconds during a break while I was catching my breath.... :.... BUMS... Straight bums.. Fatsos and doughnut boys that could barely dribble let alone shoot....

That's when it hit me - these nerds would NEVER be out there in the 80's, 90's, or 00's... I never saw nerds out on the court talking big like they could play.. The game they saw on TV looked rough, tough, and physical - it wasn't something that nerds thought they could do.

Otoh, today's game has neat, organized spacing that looks like a marching band, while the no-physicality 3-point contest is dominated by a choir boy (Curry) - so every nerd in the neighborhood thinks they can go to the local court and play.. They actually think they're doing something, so they talk big like they know the game and are seasoned playground vets.

It's hilarious but also pathetic.

In previous eras, guys like that might come out to play once in a while but they stayed on the kiddie court and kept their stupid mouths shut - they weren't talking all big like they could play.. They knew they couldn't and were basically tourists exploring the court.. But now we see straight bums on the court talking big like they can play - that's because the game they see on TV has been watered down into a beginner format of spacing-induced layup lines, threes and step-backs (the cheapest move of all time).. So anyone thinks they can play.

I've noticed this dynamic in the media too where nerds that never cared about basketball previously have been drawn to the simpler format of today's game (threes and layups) - the simplified game uses terms like "dunker spot" and primary ball-handler that makes these nerds think they understand the game. Look at Colin Cowherd - he was primarily a football and baseball guy until the Curry era of simplified basketball and created predictable spacing and
    movements.

Default Re: I had another realization at the local playground

1/9

/Thread

OP can barely dribble because he’s 75.

NBA rookie of the year

So you're saying Curry has gentrified basketball?

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax View Post
    So you're saying Curry has gentrified basketball?

No, he just took advantage of the league's trend toward threes that was a natural evolution of the 2005 rule changes designed to increase penetration and kickouts (according to the creator and implementer of the rules - Stu Jackson)

But Curry is the face of today's soft-ass, Mickey Mouse beginner format that nerds think they can play and be knowledgeable about

Again, none of these nerdy podcasters or bummy playground ballers would be doing this in previous eras ,- they didn't start liking basketball until the current soft era was in full force.. They're attracted to the soft, simple format

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    I was getting my workout on one court and I could hear a group of guys playing on the other court. I didn't immediately look up to see who they were because I was in the middle of the workout

but i could HEAR them:

"Nice cut dawg"

"Oh don't be afraid to shoot that baby!!!.... let that FLY son"

"Oh he's too close to you - blow by!!.. haha all day
    "

This kind of talk made me think "okay, sounds like some ballers are getting a good sweat"

Then I happened to look at them for a few seconds during a break while I was catching my breath.... :.... BUMS... Straight bums.. Fatsos and doughnut boys that could barely dribble let alone shoot....

That's when it hit me - these nerds would NEVER be out there in the 80's, 90's, or 00's... I never saw nerds out on the court talking big like they could play..

In previous eras, guys like that might come out to play once in a while but they stayed on the kiddie court and kept their stupid mouths shut - they weren't talking all big like they could play..
    Wow. Where to start?

Why would any of that language immediately make you think of ballers? That's common court talk that can be heard everywhere by all types of players. If I heard talk like that I would automatically think they were average players playing on an average public court and definitely a group of people I can beat.

You want to know what real ballers sound like when they play? They sound like coaches. They're setting pindown screens and calling plays and they sound like they've been in a program and if you're just in your playground mode you will have no chance to beat players like that when they show up to practice on you and your buddies.

But "let that FLY son"? "haha all day"? Who doesn't say that?

I've been playing since the early 90s and I've always heard that kind of talk. It's ubiquitous.

NBA rookie of the year

I rule the local playground

The 90s are over homie, accept it, move on with your life

NBA Superstar

Sounds like more people...play basketball now. That’s of the natural progression, yea?

If nerds and fatsos play against other nerds and fatsos “getting a sweat”, that’s supposed to be some product of the game now?

Holy reaching.

Let people enjoy themselves. The game is more mainstream than ever, this is a consequence.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Imagine getting this upset about seeing strangers you have never met playing basketball at a park.

Says alot about you.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Imagine getting this upset about seeing strangers you have never met playing basketball at a park.

Says alot about you.

Basketball has the softest, dumbest and most ignorant fans

It wasn't always that way

The current fans and mentality make the coverage of basketball unwatchable because the media must appeal to the lowest and dumbest common denominator

Basketball has the softest, dumbest and most ignorant fans

It wasn't always that way

The current fans and mentality make the coverage of basketball unwatchable because the media must appeal to the lowest and dumbest common denominator
    Pot calling the kettle black on this one.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Pot calling the kettle black on this one.

This isn't your thread.. It's mine.. I'm the one that saw complete bums acting like they can play.. you wouldn't have noticed because you belong in that game (the kiddie game for beginners)

This isn't your thread.. It's mine.. I'm the one that saw complete bums acting like they can play.. you wouldn't have noticed because you belong in that game (the kiddie game for beginners)
    You are 75 years old you couldn’t beat anyone on this board 1v1 at your age, gramps.