NBA Legend

Question Better coach: Popovich or Spoelstra

Whom would you select to coach your squad?

How close is the comparison?

I would like to remind everyone to please keep personal agendas and narratives OUT of the discussion. Thank you.

Default Re: Better coach: Popovich or Spoelstra

As much as I like Spoelestra, because he has done so much since LeBron left, I have to go with Gregory Popovich.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    As much as I like Spoelestra, because he has done so much since LeBron left, I have to go with Gregory Popovich.

Spo does deserve some credit for keeping the Heat from collapsing into a COMPLETE joke after Lebron left, which the Cavs failed to do both times. Although if you look at the amount of talent on the team currently and compare it to their record, it's obvious Spoelstra is hardly working miracles. He has some good players to work with and they're basically just a treadmill team.

I agree with you, the choice has to objectively be Popovich. And by a country mile if we're being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Spo does deserve some credit for keeping the Heat from collapsing into perennial lottery winners after Lebron left, which the Cavs failed to do both times. Although if you look at the amount of talent on the team currently and compare it to their record, it's obvious Spoelstra is hardly working miracles. He has some good players to work with and they're basically just a treadmill team.

I agree with you, the choice has to objectively be Popovich. And by a country mile if we're being honest.
    Amen brother

NBA Legend

Feels like this thread is getting avoided like the PLAGUE

is spoelstra even a top 5 coach? i like carlisle, pop, stevens, budenholzer, snyder,, kerr all can be argued as being better coaches.

people trash on kerr all the time but he's pretty good at getting curry and thompson open looks. when you start looking closely at gsw's offensive sets, you get a very good idea at how he's pretty smart with the x's and o's. obviously has a crazy amount of talent behind him so that's why i said it can be argued wether he is better or not.

spolstra def deserves some credit for doing his best given the circumstances after Bron's departure.

budenholzer is properly underrated if that's the angle you want to take on spoelstra. he led a sh1tty hawks team to a #1 seed and is getting the best out of his players in the bucks.

Pop is probably the goat coach.

but Spo Spo is also good. probably top 10 in the current NBA.
    Also best coach Lebron ever had.

But during the Miami days, no one here appreciated Spo. they all wanted him fired like they do me

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Pop unless LeBron is on my team. That combo would not end well.

Pop is good. Very good.

But gotta go with the coach who got the trainwreck 2011lelron bames two rings

Goatelstra

Erick Spoelstra, BECAUSE HE ISNT A ****ING PEDOPHILE. WAKE UP SHEEP.

Pop is the obvious answer.

Now what was the point of making this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    is spoelstra even a top 5 coach? i like carlisle, pop, stevens, budenholzer, snyder,, kerr all can be argued as being better coaches.

people trash on kerr all the time but he's pretty good at getting curry and thompson open looks. when you start looking closely at gsw's offensive sets, you get a very good idea at how he's pretty smart with the x's and o's. obviously has a crazy amount of talent behind him so that's why i said it can be argued wether he is better or not.

spolstra def deserves some credit for doing his best given the circumstances after Bron's departure.

budenholzer is properly underrated if that's the angle you want to take on spoelstra. he led a sh1tty hawks team to a #1 seed and is getting the best out of his players in the bucks.
    Some credit? Like how much? Are you giving more credit to players who had major struggles before they got picked up by Miami like Waiters, Whiteside, James Johnson?
    Yes, his staff also needs to be credited for working hard and nurturing these "average" players but if Spo got so much of the blame before, then he should also get more credit with what he has to work with IMO.
    Pops is GOAT, but Spo has overataken Carlisle at this moment.
    Low picks like Josh, McG

I thought Spo was a Riley pawn years ago, but he's proved to be one of the best coaches currently. He's not better than Pop, IMO - but if I'm BUILDING a team now I take the coach who's younger and relates to young players better. We all know how fragile an NBA player can be..........