Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Tua Tagovailo vs Trevor Lawrence

Also insane how amazing that 2019 LSU team was in retrospect. Just look what their QB & two WR's produced this season in the NFL.

Burrow - 4600 yds, 34 TDs, 14 INTs, 9 YPA, 108 QB rating
    Chase - 81 catches, 1455 yds, 13 TDs
    Jefferson - 108 catches, 1600 yds, 10 TDs

Like damn, that LSU team had the best QB and the two best WRs in the nation and it wasn't even close.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Also insane how amazing that 2019 LSU team was in retrospect. Just look what their QB & two WR's produced this season in the NFL.

Burrow - 4600 yds, 34 TDs, 14 INTs, 9 YPA, 108 QB rating
    Chase - 81 catches, 1455 yds, 13 TDs
    Jefferson - 108 catches, 1600 yds, 10 TDs

Like damn, that LSU team had the best QB and the two best WRs in the nation and it wasn't even close.
    The QB was certainly close. Lawrence was really good.

You use your hindsight and see what Burrow is doing now but Trevor is good but he’s in an absolute shit situation.

But yea...LSU have Jefferson and Chase on the same team is stupid. It’d be close to a college team having Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones at the same time.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Tua has some great weapons now. Don't think it'll matter, he's garbage

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Tua has some great weapons now. Don't think it'll matter, he's garbage
    I remember the whole "Tank for Tua" stuff when Tua was entering the draft. So much for that

It's his last chance to prove himself - no excuses this season. If he can't do anything this season, he will get cut & his days of starting are finished.

Facts Are Misleading

Hello

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    It's not a strength. Hes wildly inaccurate and ineffective when faced with pressure.

Luckily he plays with 3 NFL receivers and rarely faces any pressure so the numbers look great. Eye test says hes a backup in the NFL.
    Your eyes lied to you on this one.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Your eyes lied to you on this one.
    He's garbage

Hello
    credit where its due

After last season its hard to see the case for Trevor over Tua.

The jags had one of the easiest schedules of any team in the NFL, their only really difficult games were @Eagles (3rd in DVOA) and @Chiefs (4th)... and their 6 division games were an absolute cakewalk considering IND, HOU, and TEN ranked 32nd, 31st and 23rd in DVOA respectively.

Meanwhile the Dolphins had to play @SF (2nd in DVOA), @CIN (5th), and @BAL (7th)... and thanks to their division they had 2 games vs Buffalo (1st in DVOA) and 2 games against a Patriot team that was MUCH better than any of Jacksonvilles division opponents.

Despite playing a much harder schedule and being banged up for most of the season, Tuas YPA was 2yards more than Trevors and his QB rating was 10 points higher.

Facts Are Misleading

Tua is shutting up everyone. Good for him.

He's obviously surrounded by elite weapons. He looks like prime Drew Brees to me. That was what I thought of him in college too, just needed this situation (like Brees needed Saints) to showcase it.

any tua vs trevor argument is looking pretty silly these days

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Tua has been looking great but to be fair he’s had an extra year even though he’s had injuries and Tua wasn’t doing great until Mike McDaniel came aboard. Tua is in a great situation at the moment, and not to take away from what he’s been doing but if we gave Lawrence an extra year with a better coach/offensive coordinator and weapons like in Miami….this comparison becomes a whole lot closer. Even the best quarterbacks get handcuffed to a substantial degree when they don’t have a good offensive coordinator and a few good weapons. I don’t have any dog in this fight, just my two cents.

Facts Are Misleading

I absolutely think it's close between them. Trevor is excellent, for sure a better "talent" but a lot of players were better talents than Brees too, but not better players.

Tua has great weapons for sure. It is helping him just like it helped Kurt Warner, like it helped Manning (two HOF type wideouts in Indy)

If they switched teams I think for sure Trevor would be doing better than he is now and Tua worse.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Tua has been looking great but to be fair he’s had an extra year even though he’s had injuries and Tua wasn’t doing great until Mike McDaniel came aboard. Tua is in a great situation at the moment, and not to take away from what he’s been doing but if we gave Lawrence an extra year with a better coach/offensive coordinator and weapons like in Miami….this comparison becomes a whole lot closer. Even the best quarterbacks get handcuffed to a substantial degree when they don’t have a good offensive coordinator and a few good weapons. I don’t have any dog in this fight, just my two cents.
    This is partially true, but capitalizing on your situation is part of what makes a good QB potentially great, and when a "meh" QB has a great season because of their situation its pretty obvious where credit is actually due (for example, Goff with McVeigh or Garappolo with Shanahan)... no doubt Tua benefits tremendously having McDaniel as coach and having the most stacked receiver group in the NFL, but when you watch the dolphins play its clear that they are (at least partially) succeeding because of Tua, not in spite of him.

Anyway, NFL players exist within their systems, and its hard to extract and compare them. Riddle me this - Russell Wilson is (somehow) currently ranked 7th in passer rating, but anybody who has had the misfortune of watching any broncos games knows that he has played like absolute trash for at least ~80% of his minutes this season (and his team is 1-5 with the 4th worst point differential in the entire league). Meanwhile, you have Jared Goff whose Lions currently look like one of the best teams in the league. Two years ago during Goffs first season in Detroit the lions they went 3-13, but right now they are on pace for 13-3...riddle me that! Is this change entirely due to the roster/staff changes around goff?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Hello
    Hello

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I didn’t watch the whole game but KC was playing good D and those conditions were terrible. Tua didn’t play great but that was a tough game.

I’ve heard buzz about how Dolphins don’t want to extend Tua possibly.

Their window is closing rapidly and don’t have much time. I understand thinking maybe Tua isn’t enough to bring them over the hump so you don’t want to give him a huge contract but the big problem is….what is your backup plan? What other game is in town?

It seems like moving on from Tua right now because your window is shutting is counter productive, won’t a move away from Tua right now all but slam the window shut?

If I’m Miami maybe I try to talk Tua down as much as I can and just sign him and make another one or two runs at it and hope for the best.