Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What would Michael Jordan's stats look like if he didn't play in the triangle offense

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Jordan was admitedly statpadding that year. He also later said that the production was not sustainable for multiple seasons. He was also in his physical prime. So no way in HELL is he averaging that for a career with "DPOY defense". Even his motor couldn't handle that. Now if we're talking about THIS era? Well, that changes things.

In today's era his defense would be a lot less impactful so he'd put less energy on it if he was smart (2nd threepeat style). He'd be getting a bucketload of points though.
    You're right; no one's motor could handle DPOY-level defense for a career. I said nothing about DPOY defense for his career. But, I mean, he averaged nearly 3 steals and a blocked shot a game through 93, that's almost 700 games. That's longer than a lot of careers.:roll eyes:

You haz failed to supply stat line!

Default Re: What would Michael Jordan's stats look like if he didn't play in the triangle offense

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    You're right; no one's motor could handle DPOY-level defense for a career. I said nothing about DPOY defense for his career. But, I mean, he averaged nearly 3 steals and a blocked shot a game through 93, that's almost 700 games. That's longer than a lot of careers.:roll eyes:

MJ cared about D from the moment he stepped on an NBA court in Oct 1984 to the moment he retired at 40 years old in 2003. That's one factor that made him GOAT. He cared enough to truly try on both ends of the court. Because this is just needed if you want to give your team the best chance to win and MJ knew it instinctively. It's called PRIDE. So I disagree that he didn't bring it consistently because he truly did.

Layman ignore defense. They blow it off as not important. People in the know, know D is just as important as O.

Is this versus John Starks and Craig Ehlo or Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green?

Look no further than DeMar Derozan, we practically have MJ in the modern era right before our eyes...

Good dunker
    Good passer
    No range
    There it is

Well, this thread certainly triggered the Three 6 Mafia crew

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    MJ cared about D from the moment he stepped on an NBA court in Oct 1984 to the moment he retired at 40 years old in 2003. That's one factor that made him GOAT. He cared enough to truly try on both ends of the court. Because this is just needed if you want to give your team the best chance to win and MJ knew it instinctively. It's called PRIDE. So I disagree that he didn't bring it consistently because he truly did.

Layman ignore defense. They blow it off as not important. People in the know, know D is just as important as O.
    Thank you. I know that. I said DPOY-level defense. Actually, you're kinda right, he did always bring the D. But I don't think his motor could put up 3 steals and 1 blocked shot for a career if the offense were to run through him.

He did not bring it consistently post 93. Even the commentators would mention it. 98 was the most obvious. No need to get mythical. And even if MJ went all out on that end today, he would simply have a smaller impact than he used to. Perimeter defenders are handcuffed today or do you deny this?
    Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    It's hard to say. MJ would play very differently. The closest stylistic guys to MJ I've seen are Wade and Kawhi. Not Kobe. Kobe used a lot of 2nd threepeat MJ and then went to another level by adding more and more moves on the block. MJ wasn't doing any of that in his prime and he kept it simple, deliberate but effective towards the end. MJ was attacking the basket and slithering out of the way of defenders in his way on the way to dunking on the other defenders in his way. The closest thing to that was Wade. Kawhi has the big hands and his mid range is a more mechanical version of 2nd threepeat MJ. Well I got carried away with comparisons and still didn't give you numbers
    Last edited by FKAri; 03-26-2019 at 11:43 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    Is this versus John Starks and Craig Ehlo or Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green?

Look no further than DeMar Derozan, we practically have MJ in the modern era right before our eyes...

Good dunker
    Good passer
    No range
    There it is
    Dude Draymond greens were a dime a dozen in the 90's. Early 90's Knicks had like 3 of them on there team, Plus a Hof center and mj still put it on them. You have no idea what your talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23
    Dude Draymond greens were a dime a dozen in the 90's. Early 90's Knicks had like 3 of them on there team, Plus a Hof center and mj still put it on them. You have no idea what your talking about.
    You're insane.

This is your modern day MJ, then:

He did not bring it consistently post 93. Even the commentators would mention it. 98 was the most obvious. No need to get mythical. And even if MJ went all out on that end today, he would simply have a smaller impact than he used to. Perimeter defenders are handcuffed today or do you deny this?

It's hard to say. MJ would play very differently. The closest stylistic guys to MJ I've seen are Wade and Kawhi. Not Kobe. Kobe used a lot of 2nd threepeat MJ and then went to another level by adding more and more moves on the block. MJ wasn't doing any of that in his prime. MJ was attacking the basket and slithering out of the way of defenders in his way on the way to dunking on the other defenders in his way. The closest thing to that was Wade. Kawhi has the big hands and his mid range is a more mechanical version of 2nd threepeat MJ. Well I got carried away with comparisons and still didn't give you numbers
    Well, obviously, you're not going to be as devastating on D when you're 25 compared to 35. But to me, D has always been about effort/pride, that simple. It's a mindset. And MJ always had that mindset to stop the guy he's guarding. And that translates any era.

does he still play against used car salesmen and carpenters?

Well, obviously, you're not going to be as devastating on D when you're 25 compared to 35. But to me, D has always been about effort/pride, that simple. It's a mindset. And MJ always had that mindset to stop the guy he's guarding. And that translates any era.
    Yes but there are such things like chasing a man full steam who just got a break away steal behind you or running out to contest a man who has a sure-fire dunk and things like that which a lot of players, even MJ, skip on from time to time. Not because of laziness (though some do it for that reason too) but because it might not be the best use of energy when your team needs you to put them on their shoulder in the 4th quarter. There are plenty of moments to expend energy on a basketball court. You pick and choose your spots. It's a marathon. MJ knew this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Hemmingway
    does he still play against used car salesmen and carpenters?
    Exactly. Is it Kawhi/Butler/Draymond/Iggy on the perimeter or auto mechanics and 6'2 shoe salesmen

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    You're insane.

This is your modern day MJ, then:

Your comparing derozen to mj but I'm insane. You lose credibility when you say dumbass shit like that. Even mj haters wouldn't say something this stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23
    Your comparing derozen to mj but I'm insane. You lose credibility when you say dumbass shit like that. Even mj haters wouldn't say something this stupid
    3ball has LeBron out of his top 25

Nothing tops that so I have to balance the forums in some way

Yes but there are such things like chasing a man full steam who just got a break away steal behind you or running out to contest a man who has a sure-fire dunk and things like that which a lot of players, even MJ, skip on from time to time. Not because of laziness (though some do it for that reason too) but because it might not be the best use of energy when your team needs you to put them on their shoulder in the 4th quarter. There are plenty of moments to expend energy on a basketball court. You pick and choose your spots. It's a marathon. MJ knew this.
    Are you referring to a game as a marathon or a career as one?

What would be your top ten players of all time list?
    Last edited by 72-10; 03-27-2019 at 12:11 AM.