Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What are your thoughts on aging and passage of time?

So you believe that because I reject the Islamic teachings, I deserve to suffer for eternity?

Let me be clear - I am not simply asking you if you believe I will suffer eternal hell for this, I want to know if you believe that is a proper punishment for such an act.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Does it ever make you a bit sad to know that the average human life is short, and time seems to fly by so fast? I feel like just yesterday I was a little kid with no responsibilities except to have fun. I had nothing to worry about, and everything came easy. That's no longer the case in my late-20s.

I feel nostalgia too often and bit sad to reflect back to my childhood. Where did it all go? Most of the kids I grew up with went different paths, have their own lives now, and I lost touch with most of them. I don't even know what sort of people they are now or what the hell they look like. There were many girls I had crushes on at different points in life, but who knows what happened to them? Many of them are probably married by now or in serious relationships. I have no idea about my teachers and professors - are they retired or still teaching or (god forbid) passed away?

It sometimes makes me sad to think back. I'm sure there are older people than me. What makes you be happy? What drives you to stay optimistic from day-to-day? How do you deal with nostalgia and aging?
    I think this is one of the experiences which is most common to all of us.

How long does it take to come to terms with mortality? One lifetime.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    So you believe that because I reject the Islamic teachings, I deserve to suffer for eternity?

Let me be clear - I am not simply asking you if you believe I will suffer eternal hell for this, I want to know if you believe that is a proper punishment for such an act.
    Doesn't matter what "I" believe.

God is All-Just and will deal with you and I justly.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Doesn't matter what "I" believe.

God is All-Just and will deal with you and I justly.
    But it's ridiculous, and that's why you can't answer me. It should be no problem for you to say "yes, you deserve to go to hell for that" if you believe it... but instead, you're confused. You somehow must assume God's judgment is beyond your own comprehension on this point, because I'm sure you recognize how unreasonable it is. No person with any compassion would say that is a just punishment... are you really so foolish as to believe that God has less compassion than most people?

Traditional theist religions "god" doesn

But it's ridiculous, and that's why you can't answer me. It should be no problem for you to say "yes, you deserve to go to hell for that" if you believe it... but instead, you're confused. You somehow must assume God's judgment is beyond your own comprehension on this point, because I'm sure you recognize how unreasonable it is. No person with any compassion would say that is a just punishment... are you really so foolish as to believe that God has less compassion than most people?
    Logically, if God created the universe, then God must be far beyond our understanding. Imagine an ant trying to understand human, only in this case the difference is much farther than that.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Logically, if God created the universe, then God must be far beyond our understanding. Imagine an ant trying to understand human, only in this case the difference is much farther than that.
    Yes of course. But eternal punishment for simply not believing in Islam is not "beyond our understanding". It's beneath our understanding. We fallible, imperfect humans have greater compassion and judgment than to believe in such a terrible punishment. It's nonsense.

meh it's all bullshit .. all these thoughts people have about this and that .. as if it any of it matters .. we'll all be dead soon .. humans will die out one day .. none of this really 'means' anything .. it only means something in your head

Very good NBA starter

if you have 50 years left, you only have about 18,250 days to go.

if 40 years, about 14,600 days.

for me, somehow converting time to days sounds a lot less than years even though they are obviously the same, but the idea having less than 20000 days to go, even if you have that many left, just doesn't sound very long. each day goes by so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    if you have 50 years left, you only have about 18,250 days to go.

if 40 years, about 14,600 days.

for me, somehow converting time to days sounds a lot less than years even though they are obviously the same, but the idea having less than 20000 days to go, even if you have that many left, just doesn't sound very long. each day goes by so fast.

putting it like that is fkd up lol .. puts it in another perspective .. that really is a short time .. 18k days and that's if you have '50' left .. imagine if it's 30-35

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    putting it like that is fkd up lol .. puts it in another perspective .. that really is a short time .. 18k days and that's if you have '50' left .. imagine if it's 30-35
    Or 12

Very good NBA starter

yup, it does sound kinda fked up. that's why i try to avoid measuring in days. lol

if people didn't get a good feeling reading my last post skip this one...

for reference, 9/11 happened about 6400 days ago. i' m only using 9/11 as a time reference because it's an event that most people probably remember vividly.

now take the length of period between 9/11 and today, and then multiply that number by only 3, that's about how much time we have left.

Yes of course. But eternal punishment for simply not believing in Islam is not "beyond our understanding". It's beneath our understanding. We fallible, imperfect humans have greater compassion and judgment than to believe in such a terrible punishment. It's nonsense.
    I'm not sure about that. If we think about ants, is it capable of understanding why even kindest humans sometimes stomp on them? Or set fire to their homes?

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

meh it's all bullshit .. all these thoughts people have about this and that .. as if it any of it matters .. we'll all be dead soon .. humans will die out one day .. none of this really 'means' anything .. it only means something in your head

[QUOTE=iamgine]I'm not sure about that. If we think about ants, is it capable of understanding why even kindest humans sometimes stomp on them? Or set fire to their homes?