Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What are your thoughts on aging and passage of time?

wait until people around you start dying. People always say life goes by quick or time goes by quick, but they never say the first half of your life you are meeting people and bringing people into your life, and the second half you are saying goodbye to them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I'll voice my opinion on aging , cause I am older than most of you (61)

When you are in your teens , you want to be older, but I knew this was fun times in my life.
    I was already working at 12 , and by 18 had my first house , but another story.
    20's for me was finding what the world and my self was all about.
    New job ( career) and believe it or not , my life had direction as well as realizing I wanted a 'quiet' life. (It seemed my life actually slowed down)
    30' s I was into the long term plan , built a home on a lake and all that goes with it.
    40's I then felt incomplete and that was based on relationships , was not married. Life seemed to go faster as well.
    50's found my wife , thought I had everything , until I saw my mother wilt away. (Very time consuming)
    60's I am monitoring what I eat more so, and feel I might be able to live till 80...Original goal was 70-75.
    You have to be careful about these thoughts , because like any animal survival is very strong ,, Mom proved that this February when she passed away at 86 and was sick for all most 50 years.
    Wife is a hospice RN and the stories are not all that good...
    Smoking and drinking are listed as number 1 & 2 killers.
    I basically quit drinking , and really never smoked.

It depends on a 'quiet' life or a Loud Life.... which do you pick , could impact how long you live.
    I am not a couch spud , but have been athletic pretty much my whole life.. it helps , as well as it did for my mom.

* you'll know when life is over when you can't wipe your as$ anymore.
    Last edited by Jasper; 03-29-2019 at 11:33 AM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    But it's ridiculous, and that's why you can't answer me. It should be no problem for you to say "yes, you deserve to go to hell for that" if you believe it... but instead, you're confused. You somehow must assume God's judgment is beyond your own comprehension on this point, because I'm sure you recognize how unreasonable it is. No person with any compassion would say that is a just punishment... are you really so foolish as to believe that God has less compassion than most people?
    Disbelieving in Islam is
    - calling God a liar
    - calling 124000 Prophets liars
    - calling 1240000000 scholars liars
    - calling every Muslim ever a liar
    - making yourself above God in matters of right and wrong
    - devaluing the sacredness of human life
    - not giving the proper value to human welfare in the Hereafter
    - calling God a liar
    - making your intellect so above the Creator of the cosmos that you think you get to choose what is good or evil instead of recognizing God's sovereignty
    - completely rebelling against the reason why you were created for
    - breaking the sacred contract your soul long ago did
    - denying God's greatness
    - denying the purpose for which all of creation was made
    - dehumanizing human beings into being a bunch of chemical reactions instead of servants of the Divine with a true and noble purpose
    - calling God Almighty a liar
    - insulting God and God's justice
    - making your own arrogant soul a god above God

Prometheus, how on earth are you going to have the same fate as someone who respected God and heeded His warning ?

5-time NBA All-Star

Just use your own sense of right and wrong. It's not complicated. Nothing done in a mortal lifetime warrants eternal punishment.

If God created humans and then banishes most of them to Hell forever, then God is a wretched and vile being. Evil. But of course... that's not really God. It's what has been told of God by men. And that's it.

P.S. please stop quoting scripture to defend the validity of scripture. It's retarded. Like exonerating a defendant with his own testimony as evidence.
    God banishes men to Hell forever.. said in a way that removes man's agency?

Uhb, man has the power to submit to God's will and do right or disobey and destroy himself.

You don't get to claim what God is or isn't.
    . There's a specific way we are to know Him and that's what he revealed to the Messengers (PBUH)

The only unforgivable sin is Shirk--that is to ascribe rivals to The Almighty and you've done that in this post by denying that He is All-Wise, All-Just and sent down Scripture for mankind's guidance. You also did that by putting your sense of right and wrong above God's Justice.

Moreover had you read the Quran you would know the majority of men are disobedient, ungrateful, wrongdoers, rebellious. They chose to fail the test.

PS - Don't call yourself compassionate and God evil when your arrogance knows no bounds. Have you given anyone the gift of life? Have you fed billions? Have you given anyone hearing or eyesight?

God feeds all His creatures.
    God gives life and death fo all His creatures.
    God gave senses to His creature.
    God gives family to His creatures.
    God gives every single gift anyone had ever gotten and ha's saved much better in the life to come.

And before you retort with what about the starving people --- well that's within human capacity to fix with proper administration of resources.

Or whatever difficulties people undergo, that is good for them in the long run and there's a wisdom behind it.

And whatever compassion humans have is a reflection of the One who created them.

Even if we offered all our life savings would it be enough to pay for the precious gift of eyesight we enjoy on a daily basis? Let alone literacy, the sweet taste put water, the comfort of having a home ?

The only thing man has to do to secure eternal life and salvation is to worship Him alone. That's hardly a price to pay for eternal life.

It's not too late to repent.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 03-29-2019 at 02:35 PM.

How do you guys balance physical activity with long term health? I mean every minute that I'm spending preparing a healthy meal, or lifting, or running or playing ball is a minute that I'm not doing something that I'd rather enjoy more. That shit adds up. I've toned it down but I used to be at the Y every Mon-Thurs from 5-9 and then I would shoot for 2 hours every Sat and Sunday before mid day league games. It sucks losing what you built up through injury so once you get back in form you tell yourself to keep at it as long as you are healthy but then you look back and realize there's only so much time in a day. 4 hours in a damn gym is 4 hours you aren't seeing of sunlight. Ya it's great being able to run 15 miles a week no problem and hit shots like it's 2nd nature but at what cost? This is why I find what professionals do so impressive. They are sacrificing the time in their lives for our entertainment. WWE believe it or not has to be the worst travel schedule of all where those guys see their families less than NBA players do in a given year. Then in a blink, it's all gone.

5-time NBA All-Star

Superjoints by Tsatsouline and Tae Bo are good.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Disbelieving in Islam is
    - calling God a liar [COLOR="Blue"]No, God is not capable of lying... I believe in my own internal relationship with God over a written interpretation of someone else's experiences. That is not calling God a liar.[/COLOR]
    - calling 124000 Prophets liars [COLOR="Blue"]This is closer to the truth. I don't believe prophets (mostly) have lied or misled about their own experience... rather, prophets and their followers commit the error of believing their own experiences and visions to be authoritative. God speaks to everyone... there is ultimately no such thing as a prophet. I do not doubt that Muhammad had profound experiences which contained elements of divine truth. But he was still a human. [/COLOR]
    - calling 1240000000 scholars liars [COLOR="Blue"]Are you implying the scholarly consensus is that Islam is truth? This one is silly. Why am I responding?[/COLOR]
    - calling every Muslim ever a liar [COLOR="Blue"]Wrong. I feel sorry for Muslims. I consider not that they are liars, but that they are those to whom lies are told.[/COLOR]
    - making yourself above God in matters of right and wrong [COLOR="Blue"]This isn't true as I simply have different beliefs about how we are to determine God's will. I reject the Islamic claim to authority over what God wants from us.[/COLOR]
    - devaluing the sacredness of human life [COLOR="Blue"]Not true at all, I simply reject your beliefs.[/COLOR]
    - not giving the proper value to human welfare in the Hereafter [COLOR="Blue"]Not true at all, I simply reject your beliefs.[/COLOR]
    - calling God a liar [COLOR="Blue"]You said this twice you schizo[/COLOR]
    - making your intellect so above the Creator of the cosmos that you think you get to choose what is good or evil instead of recognizing God's sovereignty [COLOR="Blue"]Actually I consider human limitation so deeply that I reject all prophets - no human is capable of speaking with authority on God's behalf... God is beyond apprehension by any mortal being. Therefore the revelations of any prophet may be used as guidelines or inspiration, synthesized with whatever messages God has granted my own soul. This particular point is of great importance in our dialogue... I would genuinely love to debate it with you in greater depth and specificity. I do respect you, after all.[/COLOR]
    - completely rebelling against the reason why you were created for [COLOR="Blue"]What if I simply disagree with you on those reasons?[/COLOR]
    - breaking the sacred contract your soul long ago did [COLOR="Blue"]What?[/COLOR]
    - denying God's greatness [COLOR="Blue"]I believe I hold God in higher regard than you do, since I believe God to be beyond apprehension by mortality thus my rejection of prophets...[/COLOR]
    - denying the purpose for which all of creation was made [COLOR="Blue"]What if I simply disagree with you on those reasons?[/COLOR]
    - dehumanizing human beings into being a bunch of chemical reactions instead of servants of the Divine with a true and noble purpose [COLOR="Blue"]I am not an atheist. Do not confuse me with one.[/COLOR]
    - calling God Almighty a liar [COLOR="Blue"]That's the third time. You're smart enough to get this... if John tells me that Bob said "**** you", and I say "No he didn't", then I'm calling John a liar, not Bob. I believe in God. I just don't believe in Islam.[/COLOR]
    - insulting God and God's justice [COLOR="Blue"]What?[/COLOR]
    - making your own arrogant soul a god above God [COLOR="Blue"]I am humble and insignificant in the face of the Almighty.[/COLOR]

Prometheus, how on earth are you going to have the same fate as someone who respected God and heeded His warning ?
    God loves us all equally

Just use your own sense of right and wrong. It's not complicated. Nothing done in a mortal lifetime warrants eternal punishment.

If God created humans and then banishes most of them to Hell forever, then God is a wretched and vile being. Evil. But of course... that's not really God. It's what has been told of God by men. And that's it.

P.S. please stop quoting scripture to defend the validity of scripture. It's retarded. Like exonerating a defendant with his own testimony as evidence.
    It's not to defend scripture. It's pure logic. We as human are very limited. Limited intelligence capability, sense and data. We like to think we are valuable while we really understand nothing about most of anything, thus your "If God banish us to hell, then God is evil."

If God exist, clearly we must be incapable of understanding even the tiniest bit of an eternal being who created the universe. To think otherwise is just illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    It's not to defend scripture. It's pure logic. We as human are very limited. Limited intelligence capability, sense and data. We like to think we are valuable while we really understand nothing about most of anything, thus your "If God banish us to hell, then God is evil."

If God exist, clearly we must be incapable of understanding even the tiniest bit of an eternal being who created the universe. To think otherwise is just illogical.
    Everything you just said is reason to doubt and question scripture. Why believe what other men have to say about God when they are as limited as you are?

Everything you just said is reason to doubt and question scripture. Why believe what other men have to say about God when they are as limited as you are?
    I think the belief is that the scripture is from God.

5-time NBA All-Star

Alright, well I redact my statement in saying what I said about you dehuamizing human beings into being chemical reactions. That is an unjust representation of your viewpoints. My apologies for that--I clumped you in with people who are usually linked with that.

Now I repeated that disbelieving in Islam is calling God a liar thrice to really hit that point hard.

"The Truth" is an attribute of both God and Quran (22:62, 24:25, 31:30, 47:2, 13:1, 34:6, 35:31). Being the Truth, God and His words are to be highly regarded and reverenced. God, mercifully, swears for us in Quran that His promises are as true as the fact that we speak (51:22-23). His promises for the believers, all over the Quran, are, without a doubt, a part of His absolute truth.
    https://submission.org/friday_believ..._promises.html

If you can't have the necessary reverence, Prometheus, and you "disagree" while claiming things with arguments like "God is beyond comprehension therefore Prophets don't know him" and saying "your internal relationship with God" is better than the Prophets--I have a question. Where would you even start in terms of knowing God?

I can start by describing some traits of the Prophets (PBUH) and you can do research on them later, if you'd like.

Those Prophets were the most obedient to God, grateful, trustworthy, truthful, kind, sincere, loyal, benevolent, self-sacrificial people on the face of the planet--and allow me to explain why.

Some things they had to go through.
    1. Abraham, AS A KID, questioned the traditions of his time period, went AGAINST the status quo, went against his OWN DEAR FATHER, and crushed the idols that people were offering food towards. The people of his village tried to BURN HIM in a HUGE FIRE. The man made a prayer "Hasbunallahu wa ni'amal wakeel" He used to sit alone and while looking at the stars, he asked "Is this my lord?" "is this my lord?" when he saw the sun. And realized that God could not have been created. He waited for children for a looonggg time and he had to leave his son and wife in a wilderness (part of God's plan) and did that. He would offer guests the utmost hospitality. He would be a beacon for monotheism.
    Do you not see how that faithfulness, devotion, loyalty, CONTEMPLATION, courage, and sacrifice for the sake of God would have given him perhaps a BIT more knowledge/spiritual status than someone like you and I?

2. Yusuf (PBUH), was BAMBOOZLED BY HIS OWN BROTHERS and tossed and made to be a slave working for an Egyptian. He was a kid and a slave in a foreign land and was actually COERCED by the wife of his "master" (I lowercased the m to illustrate that no person really owns another person) to have sex with her. She was both wealthy and beautiful. Because Joseph feared God he chose PRISON for long years instead of simply having sex with that woman. Later he was patient and had the opportunity to have revenge on his brothers after years of being away from his dad, but he forgave them completely. Do you not see that his chastity, his patience, his forgiveness, his trust in God, are beloved virtues---and his solitary confinement allowed him to ponder upon his Creator?

That was the level of devotion he had towards The Almighty.

2. Muhammad (PBUH), as a child, never saw his father, lost his mother at 6, lost his grandfather soon after, lost his Uncle, saw his sons die, saw his daughters die, never learned to read, suffered long sleepless nights, suffered days of horrible hunger, was recognized in his community as trustworthy and afterwards was verbally disparaged and had assassination plots sent against him and NOT ONCE was he ungrateful to The Almighty.
    He, even as a young man, completely avoided idolatry, alcohol, women, the rat race for chasing money, and cared deeply for his community's welfare.
    When he was 35, and witnessed a guest have his belongings stolen by locals in a time where pillaging and plundering was rampant he and others FORMED A PACT to protect against oppression.
    He spent YEARS of his life in his late 30's to retreat to a cave for hours at a time to MEDITATE---to think of WHAT could be done to help the social ills.
    Yet later in life even during times of sadness and hardship, he OFFERED up hours of devotion at night to thank God Almighty.
    He spent his ENTIRE LIFE teaching people right from wrong with the best of manners. He was OFFERED WOMEN, MONEY, POWER and all kinds of things from the Quraysh who did not want him preaching about the Oneness of Allah, Heaven, and Hell--and he refused all of those temptations (money, women, power) and stayed true to the mission despite all the hardships he encountered.
    He was STONED until he was bloody by street urchins and was offered to have these people destroyed but he forgave them.
    His entire community was tortured, boycotted for 13 years in their hometown (including a woman being straight up killed), and when they got the upper hand they let them go mercifully. By the way, the son of the guy who killed her requested that they not disparage his father, and Muhammad (PBUH) honored that request.
    In a time of EXTREME WEALTH INEQUALITY, he STRESSED CHARITY.
    He was the FIRST to protect his people in battle. He treated women with the UTMOST respect at a time when they were treated horribly. He was so humble he sat alongside slaves while eating, and slept on a very humble mattress and gave his wealth away. He would share knowledge and show so much affection towards people, especially slaves and women and downtrodden members of society. He would smile at others and spread peace despite having huge burdens placed on him and having witnessed real visions of the Akhirah. He made himself AVAILABLE to people who consoled him for advice. He was kindhearted and protected the rights of camels, and showed compassion even to trees. He FORBADE hunting for sport. When he saw a kid was crying because he didn't have parents to attend the Eid festival, he and his wife Aisha (RA) offered to be the kid's parent.

Do you not see that someone who went through what he did would probably be just a bit more beloved/blessed to God than you and I who chose what we have chosen in our lives?

I'm not saying to sacrifice your intellect or blindly follow someone which you see in some Churches or cults unfortunately, I am only asking you to reconsider whether you are willing to believe that men like the Prophets (PBUH) are liars. For they all unanimously conveyed the message to REJECT FALSE GODS and WORSHIP THE ONE TRUE GOD.

God conveys His message and relates His will through human prophets. They form a link between the earthly beings and the heavens, in the sense that God has picked them to deliver His message to human beings. There are no other channels to receive divine communications. It is the system of communication between the Creator and the created.
    https://www.islamreligion.com/articl...f-in-prophets/

The Prophets (PBUH) possessed the best character, and were the closest to knowing God among mortals, and their knowledge is of course limited being mortals. They were held to stricter standards of ethics than all other people and were tested harshly to see the faithfulness in their character.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 03-30-2019 at 10:42 AM.

5-time NBA All-Star

God loves us all equally
    Justly.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 03-30-2019 at 10:27 AM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Would you like to begin to know your Creator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CB0aCYoa6U

This is getting way too religious imo

Not exactly what I had in mind buuuut alright