Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Good article from Kris Humphries in the players tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...to-be-that-guy

Has some nice stories. Apparently he was the best youth swimmer in America at one point. One thing stood out to me though....

[QUOTE]From that moment, my whole identity, my whole life, was basketball. I didn

Default Re: Good article from Kris Humphries in the players tribune.

Good article. He definitely played with a lot of effort and was really good on the boards. For his career he averaged 11 rebounds per 36 minutes.

Local High School Star

Nice article. But KBlaze, maybe one of the reasons many superstars are as great as they are is because of their work effort? If they are practicing, watching film, strategizing at close to human capacity, how are lesser players going to outwork them? Maybe they could hope to match their effort?

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elosha
    Nice article. But KBlaze, maybe one of the reasons many superstars are as great as they are is because of their work effort? If they are practicing, watching film, strategizing at close to human capacity, how are lesser players going to outwork them? Maybe they could hope to match their effort?
    It's one of the reasons SOME of the superstars are as good as they are.

But I feel like I should point out that not all of them have that same mentality. And not all of the non-superstars aren't as hard working as the absolute hardest working superstars.

At this point I've a lot of basketball books and listened to a lot of testimony. The personalities and work ethics in pro basketball vary which sort of emulates the real professional world from my experiences with that

Think Shaq and Kobe. Both achieved an elite level of impact but not through strictly work ethic... Kobe was all about the work ethic Shaq not so much. Heck, Bill Russell didn't touch basketballs in the off season where as many others always use the off season to work twice as hard on polishing certain aspects of their game
    Last edited by hiphopanonymous; 03-28-2019 at 10:32 AM.

[QUOTE]He said,

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    It's one of the reasons SOME of the superstars are as good as they are.

But I feel like I should point out that not all of them have that same mentality. And not all of the non-superstars aren't as hard as the absolute hardest working superstars.

Read a lot of basketball books and listened to a lot of testimony. The personalities and work ethics in pro basketball vary which sort of emulates the real professional world from my experiences with that

Thank Shaq and Kobe. Both achieved an elite level of impact but not through strictly work ethic... Kobe was all about the work ethic Shaq not so much. Heck, Bill Russell didn't touch basketballs in the off season where as many others always use the off season to work twice as hard on polishing certain aspects of their game
    I agree. That's why I said "many" superstars not all of them. Shaq is a prime example of a superstar with less than necessary work ethic. As to Russell, since his job was never really geared to the offensive end of the court, maybe he didn't need to focus as much on skill focused efforts in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...to-be-that-guy

Has some nice stories. Apparently he was the best youth swimmer in America at one point. One thing stood out to me though....

It goes on to cover his Kardashain run. But that part doesnt interest me as much.

Always seemed odd to me that role players let superstars out work them. You always hear about Dirk, or Kobe, or Jordan....Bird...whoever....getting to practice before everyone. Staying later. Working harder.

If I could make the NBA id find out whenever my teams hardest worker got there and show up an hour before to let him in. All these scrubs(relative) show up hours after people who are already miles better than them?

I know they are already rich but...**** that. Why make 80 million in career earnings when you can make half a billion?

Id be downright ashamed if Dirk out worked me as a young player. Hes already better than im ever gonna be but hes still working harder? Gotta have some pride.....
    Great article and quote posts Thank you for adding value to the forums KBlaze, for that I thank you. I always love hearing these little mini stories.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Good read. I especially liked the snippet where he dismisses the grind and the business of it and reminds us 'Hey, playing in the NBA is ****ing awesome.'

Seems like a very grateful and respectful dude.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    This part....I'm not sure is accurate. Does anyone find which game he meant?
    The funny thing is I tried to search for it but found this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBxB73U-7U

[QUOTE]He was my idol, but he was so cool that I got comfortable enough to start joking around with him in practice. Then, one day, we were laughing about something, and Rick Carlisle turns to me out of nowhere and goes,