Default Why do motorists allow tickets to increase their insurance rates?

As in speeding tickets. It doesn’t cost insurance companies a dime if you get a speeding ticket, yet millions of drivers insist on giving away their money for no reason. Only accidents should result in an increase, since that does result in the insurance company having to pay.

Time to lobby against this shit. Let’s make it illegal for speeding tickets to increase insurance rates. Just because I haven’t gotten a ticket in 10 years doesn’t mean my fellow ISH motorists should have to tolerate this shit.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Why do motorists allow tickets to increase their insurance rates?

Three things.

1: There are a lost of unfair things about insurance and insurance companies. For example, "subrogation." Allegedly it's your insurance company going toe-to-toe with the opposing insurance company when you have an accident with another motorist (that's not the definition, just what is supposed to happen) with them making sure justice is done and you getting whatever compensation you are rightfully due. But in reality...well, I can't tell you what happens because I have no idea. Back in 2016 some idiot hit my parked truck in a mall lot drove the car he was driving (it probably wasn't his) a hundred feet away jumped out of it and ran into a Home Depot. I wasn't in the truck at the time but I know this because it was all caught on security video. Hit and run with the vehicle that hit mine abandoned in the lot. I filled out an accident report, immediately contacted my insurer, blah, blah, blah. There is absolutely no way that that accident could have been my fault. I got my deductible back from Progressive but I have yet to receive compensation for the rental I took out for a week because the opposition, Esurance, is still claiming to be reviewing the details.

Progressive tells me that they are in "subrogation."

This has been going on for two and a half years. I call around every month or so to make sure everyone involved (including myself) stays pissed off. I should probably just take it to court but it's "just" 300 dollars, which makes it not truly worth missing a day of work.

2. This is not one of those things. Sometimes I go over 70 mph on the highway so I won't get too preachy but excessive speeding absolutely kills. If you are doing 50 in a residential area you're an asshole.

3. Good luck taking on the insurance lobby. There's a reason they can operate the way that they do: Oligarchy, which is the true nature of our government and always has been.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Yea at this point you might as well ask why people allow income taxes. Technically it would take 66% of congress, the president, then 38 state houses to remove them and you would probably get 90% of the people to support it...but it wont happen.

The will of the people should rule in theory but people wont stick together to get these things done or hold their politicians responsible for not doing what they ask. You would have to trust one party or the other to do it because no 3rd party would ever get the votes to get something like this done....

And too many of both parties are bought by insurance companies.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Yea at this point you might as well ask why people allow income taxes. Technically it would take 66% of congress, the president, then 38 state houses to remove them and you would probably get 90% of the people to support it...but it wont happen.

The will of the people should rule in theory but people wont stick together to get these things done or hold their politicians responsible for not doing what they ask. You would have to trust one party or the other to do it because no 3rd party would ever get the votes to get something like this done....

And too many of both parties are bought by insurance companies.
    State income taxes should exist.

Federal income taxes should not.

The reason that federal income taxes are allowed to exist, ultimately, is because people are too fat and happy.

The United States has a lot of wonderful things going for it, but it is beyond financially broken in terms of its operating model. The only thing that is going to change this is a significant dip in standard of living for the entire US populace. So far, we haven't seen that... even in hard times.

I think we do get there in my lifetime, but who knows, they've been able to kick the can this far down the road, maybe they just keep kicking it.

Best as I can tell, the only reason the world hasn't told us to go **** ourselves as far as the dollar being the reserve currency is because if one of these small countries try to pull away, they're going to get freedom, if you know what I mean.

[QUOTE=egokiller]As in speeding tickets. It doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    State income taxes should exist.

Federal income taxes should not.
    Which, in our modern society, would lead to the instant collapse of the nation, and many states...

Good discussion here boys. We can talk about health insurance and taxes also as it's all in the same boat of bullshit, but when it comes to the justification of "at risk", that pretty much goes out the window if you are going to raise someone's insurance who's been driving 20+ years with no accidents. How the fvck can you justify that person being "high risk" because they got a speeding ticket for going 8 over in a 50 mph zone when they were driving 20 years with no accidents? No matter what, their insurance goes up. Again, it's all bullshit and it needs to be fixed just like the other issues we have. Gotta start with the low hanging fruit first.

I have a 855 credit score. Why should I pay lower rate than someone with a 720 credit score? How the fvck does better credit make me a better driver? Again, it's all bullshit.

We can't have a simplified tax code because H&R Block will spend millions to fight against it because of what they stand to lose.
    Last edited by egokiller; 03-28-2019 at 10:05 PM.