Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 64653545556
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Default Re: Rate the last Movie you watched

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post

5/10 - Best thing about this was Madds Mikkelsen

Terrible story otherwise.
    I tossed up Mision Impossible or this one .... Thanks I didn't miss anything.

please sticky this thread ... We all use it

Doctor Sleep (Director's Cut)

Me and my friend didn't realize how long this phukkin movie would be. Anyways, it's a sequel to The Shining, which is a much superior movie. Entertaining enough if you're high and with good company but nothing special really, way too long.

Doctor Sleep (Director's Cut)

Me and my friend didn't realize how long this phukkin movie would be. Anyways, it's a sequel to The Shining, which is a much superior movie. Entertaining enough if you're high and with good company but nothing special really, way too long.

well done : double post

FINAL WARNING FOR MODS / JEFF:

MERGE, or else...

Im gonna be reaaaaal pissed tonight.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Watched the 1st PREDATOR, for maybe the 50th time recently:

I give it a 100/10.

It’s the best 80’s action film (saying a lot)

A decent (if inauthentic) jungle warfare film, especially visually, with no CGI at all.

Also a decent sci-fi film, encapsulated within an 80’s action film.

FYI: Predator 2 is also highly under-appreciated.
    Checks most of the same boxes, but in an urban warfare setting instead of jungle.

western : Ballad of Cable Hogue

plot 10
    scenes 10
    acting 8.5
    Jason Robards
    Absolutely awesome movie

bump sticky this please

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I went to see Civil War in the theatre. First thing I've seen in the theater in a long while on my own, not counting taking a kid or something. It's a pretty visually engaging movie. Particularly the battle in DC has some stuff that just looks pretty jarring. I like the story telling mechanism. Maybe because I come out of a video game background. This story beats remind me of The Last of Us, where they play sections at a time then jump somewhere else. Garland's 28 Days Later uses the structure to a degree. Apocalypse Now is the oldest thing I can think of that used the structure, although I'm sure there's earlier, where they float along the river running into one unpredictable setting after another on their way to some endgame. I know AN is basically a re-skin of Dante's Inferno.
    And there are parts of the worldbuilding I really enjoyed, without getting into any details. However ... I know there was an attempt to keep this very a-political ... but this could've really used some context. Who the president is and why there's an uprising against him is just left too much in the ether. The opposition uprising ... The Western Forces ... which is a union of Texas and California, almost seem specifically designed as such real life political opposites, to completely limit any reading into why politically we're in this position. The viewpoint is very much from the reporter's point of view, which is outright stated that they're job to "report" not to make judgement (I'm paraphrasing ... it was maybe three weeks ago), and perhaps that's part of the statement of leaving everything unexplained. But it feels like there's more here.

It's funny, because Alex Garland, the writer and director, has also written several other things that had this open endedness on both ends of the story, like Sunshine, and particularly 28 Days Later, which later had a sequel built that expanded this sort of vague world building he's done.

I really liked it, but I'd probably stick to a high 70s because of the amount of unanswered stuff left in my head. Which I suppose could be seen as positive.

Just the other night I sat down and watched Ex Machina, my favorite of Garland's stuff. It's so simple, it really could have been a Black Mirror episode. I love the FX, and moral conundrum of it all. That I'd give a mid to high 80s to.

NBA Superstar

I actually really appreciated the apolitical nature of a film centered around a political uprising. Couple reasons for that. First, it allows for the human aspect to shine through, and being ambivalent about which side caused what allows us to take a step back from all of that and focus on the characters and the world that's been built.

Second, it prevents really annoying online banter where one side hates it and the other loves it because of whatever stance it takes. Smart to leave that out.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    I actually really appreciated the apolitical nature of a film centered around a political uprising. Couple reasons for that. First, it allows for the human aspect to shine through, and being ambivalent about which side caused what allows us to take a step back from all of that and focus on the characters and the world that's been built.

Second, it prevents really annoying online banter where one side hates it and the other loves it because of whatever stance it takes. Smart to leave that out.

Generally I agree with this ... I just would've liked something, even something small, that would've provided some context. The problem is it appears half the country is still in support, so it's hard to put something so egregious that it doesn't feel like the half the country standing by him doesn't seem like morons. Because both California and Texas have southern borders, something with border control would've made some sense. And it would've put some context on the Plemons character. But even that has become a massive party driven issue. They hint at some radicalized event at one point, but it seems like it would've predated him. It just feels like it'd have to be pretty extreme to warrant the response it gets. Something like not ceding the position, weaponizing the intelligence agencies, spying on US citizens, all would've seemed like reasonable plot points 12 to 20 years ago.