Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The GOAT List 2019: Tenth Anniversary

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]The GOAT List:
    The Greatest Players in American Professional Basketball History[/FONT]

In recognition of ten years passed since I first posted the GOAT List on Inside Hoops, I wanted to revisit the concept and present a new list ranking the players on a season-by-season basis instead of evaluating their entire careers. This allows for a more thorough and ever-green discussion to emerge and is less likely to be influenced by recency bias.

I will begin with the 1954-55 season, the first in the shot clock era. The number of players ranked will vary from year to year depending on the number of teams in the league or leagues.

Additionally I will share the information and insights I find most relevant to each season to help provide a context as to what the league was like at the time and why certain players or types of players may be more or less valuable than they are today, or were a generation before or after they played.

As with the previous iteration of this list, I enthusiastically encourage participation, feedback, criticism and commentary from anyone and everyone and hope we can all learn something and enjoy the discussion on the history of the sport we all love.

1955 - #1 Dolph Schayes
    1956 - #1 Bob Pettit
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by G.O.A.T; 05-01-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Default 1954-55

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]1954-55[/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"]NBA Finals: Syracuse Nationals defeat Ft. Wayne Pistons in seven games
    MVP: not awarded
    Finals MVP: not awarded
    Rookie of the Year: Bob Pettit, Milwaukee Hawks
    [/FONT]

[FONT="Arial Black"]Top Players
    1. Dolph Schayes - Syracuse Nationals
    2. Bob Pettit - Milwaukee Hawks
    3. Neil Johnston - Philadelphia Warriors
    4. Bob Cousy - Boston Celtics
    5. Larry Foust - Ft. Wayne Pistons
    6. Harry Gallatin - New York Knickerbockers
    7. Vern Mikkelsen - Minneapolis Lakers
    8. Clyde Lovellette - Minneapolis Lakers
    9. Paul Arizin - Philadelphia Warriors
    10. George Yardley - Ft. Wayne Pistons
    11. Ed Macauley - Boston Celtics
    12. Bill Sharman - Boston Celtics
    13. Paul Seymour - Syracuse Nationals
    14. Bobby Wanzer - Rochester Royals
    15. Slater Martin - Minneapolis Lakers[/FONT]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"] AT A GLANCE...

This was the first year of the shot-clock era and it saw a dramatic change in the way the game was played. Scoring jumped from just under 80 points per game to over 93 per game. The increased pace and flow also led to better shooting as the league average rose from 37% to 39%. It would continue to rise over the next three decades peaking at just over 49% in 1984.

In addition to the change in style of play, the previous decades dominant team, the Minneapolis Lakers were entering a new era after the retirement of star George Mikan (he would return briefly the next season). The Lakers, winners of the previous three titles and five of the last six were still the leagues third best team, but they fell to the Pistons in the Western Finals.

It was an eight team league, evolving to be sure, but still a far cry from where the sport was headed in the coming decades. This was a man's league. Paul Arizin, a star forward for Philadelphia had sat out the previous two years fighting in the Korean War. As you can imagine. toughness was as essential as talent for the first generation of players post-WWII. The shot clock had been introduced to open things up and put an end to the incessant fouling and stalling that plagued the sport and made it's marquee match-ups almost unwatchable. Guards rarely looked to be scorers, though Bob Cousy was changing that. Centers were the dominant position, though most still played a plodding, below the rim style. The Forwards were called corner men because they, well, stood in the corners on offense. There were more fights than dunks and probably, more enthusiasm for the former than the latter. But that was all going to change and this crop of stars were the first to put that change in motion.[/FONT]

Default Re: The GOAT List 2019: Tenth Anniversary

I still remember your last thread. I hope it wasn't deleted but have any of your opinions of the 1955-2009 seasons really changed in the last 10 years?

That being said, Non Lebron threads are not allowed on the board but this one shouldn't get locked since it does implicitly reference Lebron (references GOAT).

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    I still remember your last thread. I hope it wasn't deleted but have any of your opinions of the 1955-2009 seasons really changed in the last 10 years?

That being said, Non Lebron threads are not allowed on the board but this one shouldn't get locked since it does implicitly reference Lebron (references GOAT).

Without a doubt my opinions have changed. There is just a massive amount of new information available that was not at that time. From all the new video available on youtube, to the evolution of advanced box score stats and impact metrics and even all the new books that have been written and the number of former NBA players on social media who will engage with fans and talk about the sport and their careers, there is a whole new understanding available if you're willing to look.

Back in 2009 I was trading old VHS tapes with guys online and writing to teams asking for media-guides, video and anything else they'd share.

Also, this list is much different than a top 100 players list.

I'm going season by season and sort of doing a chronological cliff notes version of NBA history with some lists mixed in because they are good discussion/debate starters.

Default 1955-56

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]1955-56[/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"]NBA Finals: Philadelphia Warriors defeat Ft. Wayne Pistons in five games
    MVP: Bob Pettit, St. Louis Hawks
    Rookie of the Year: Maurice Stokes, Rochester Royals
    [/FONT]

1. Bob Pettit - Milwaukee Hawks
    2. Paul Arizin - Philadelphia Warriors
    3. Neil Johnston - Philadelphia Warriors
    4. Dolph Schayes - Syracuse Nationals
    5. Bob Cousy - Boston Celtics
    6. George Yardley - Ft. Wayne Pistons
    7. Larry Foust - Ft. Wayne Pistons
    8. Clyde Lovellette - Minneapolis Lakers
    9. Maurice Stokes - Rochester Royals
    10. Bill Sharman - Boston Celtics
    11. Tom Gola - Philadelphia Warriors
    12. Chuck Share - St. Louis Hawks
    13. Ed Macauley - Boston Celtics
    14. Harry Gallatin - New York Knickerbockers
    15. Vern Mikkelsen - Minneapolis Lakers[/FONT]

A couple of major changes happened in 1955-56. Geographically, Milwaukee moved to St. Louis, retaining the Hawks moniker. Demographically, the league had its first Black superstar. Maurice Stokes, won rookie of the year while averaging 17 points, 16 rebounds and 5 assists for the Rochester Royals. A 6

i would've suggested you do what realGm does with some of their lists and start with most recent years first. Those will get the most interest. This is fine however and really appreciated

were your old threads deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    i would've suggested you do what realGm does with some of their lists and start with most recent years first. Those will get the most interest. This is fine however and really appreciated
    I'm going for a chronological narrative. I agree to drum up the most interest I'd start with the most recent years, but I think this works better if you start from the beginning. Seeing the rise and fall of players over the years based on their ranking is a pretty good way to get a sense for their career as a whole if you have some understanding of them going in.

I think if it does get interest, it will be later and all the previous posts will provide effective context to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri

ThickAri

Welcome back and thanks for posting, G.O.A.T.!

I always enjoy reading your posts, unlike 99% of the dreck here. Which is why I stick to posting my 2 cents for the playoffs. But every now and then, a classic thread emerges from the usual dreck.

But what I am really looking forward to is what opinions of yours have changed over these past few years. Unlike most of us who get older, we get more stubborn and set in our ways.

Moreover, you have some competition in this regard:
    http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/11/...n-nba-history/

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    Welcome back and thanks for posting, G.O.A.T.!

I always enjoy reading your posts, unlike 99% of the dreck here. Which is why I stick to posting my 2 cents for the playoffs. But every now and then, a classic thread emerges from the usual dreck.

But what I am really looking forward to is what opinions of yours have changed over these past few years. Unlike most of us who get older, we get more stubborn and set in our ways.

Moreover, you have some competition in this regard:
    http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/11/...n-nba-history/

I'm pretty sure I know Ben from the last two decades online and I am pretty sure we don't like each other. But there is no doubt he is a brilliant basketball mind and I loved the back picks Goat list.

Default 1956-57

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]1956-57[/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"]NBA Finals: Boston Celtics defeat St. Louis Hawks in seven games
    MVP: Bob Cousy, Boston Celtics
    Rookie of the Year: Tom Heinsohn, Boston Celtics
    [/FONT]

1. Bob Pettit - Milwaukee Hawks
    2. Dolph Schayes - Syracuse Nationals
    3. Bill Russell - Boston Celtics
    4. Bob Cousy - Boston Celtics
    5. Paul Arizin - Philadelphia Warriors
    6. Neil Johnston - Philadelphia Warriors
    7. George Yardley - Ft. Wayne Pistons
    8. Maurice Stokes - Rochester Royals
    9. Clyde Lovellette - Minneapolis Lakers
    10. Harry Gallatin - New York Knickerbockers
    11. Bill Sharman - Boston Celtics
    12. Tom Heinsohn - Boston Celtics
    13. Jack Twyman - Rochester Royals
    14. Slater Martin - St. Louis Hawks
    15. Ed Macauley - St. Louis Hawks
    [/FONT]

As much as 1954-55 is a clear line between how the game was played and how it will be played going forward, 1956-57 was the realization of that change. The arrival of Bill Russell in January of 1957, fresh off the 1956 Olympics, changed the landscape of the NBA forever. Over Russell

National High School Star

What is this shit ain

Fun read, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T

Bird, Magic and Jordan, always my starting 5 in any era.