Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

Default 5/11/19. . . . Moving Forward. . . .

So, it looks as if the Lakers have thrown some fire suppressant on top of their most recent four-alarm dumpster fire.

Personally, I was hoping that Ty Lue would not become the coach. Mostly because I was hoping that they would infuse some fresh blood into the organization rather than more inbreeding just because of familiarity.

Not sure the fire will die out, but the night sky will have a little less glow on the horizon.

Default Re: 5/11/19. . . . Moving Forward. . . .

I definitely like Vogel signing. I trust his judgment as it pertains to rotations and defense. I do have questions about how he plans on running the offense. He is a halfcourr guy who likes to slow it down and spread the ball, which I like. I hope he has good assistant coaches, we will need that certainly. I want to see someone who specializes in fast pace style offense to help make Vogel's offense more electric and hybrid for modern nba.

I think we have the right personnel for his style but I do want us to make some changes. I would trade either Ingram or Kuzma for a Bradley Beal or someone if we can't pull off Davis trade. I also think we badly need to sign an elite player like kawhi/kd/klay/kyrie if we want to make a playoff push. It seems like KD will leave Warriors to go East (or Clippers), and Warriors will pay max to keep klay. Kawhi may be our best shot. I don't exactly want kyrie because I don't think he is reliable across 4 quarters and I prefer sticking to Lonzo running the point. I don't think Kyrie would be smart at shooting guard even though it may work.

NBA lottery pick

I think it's a bad signing. There's clearly issues with the upper management in the organization. All these mediocre people they interviewed and then to force them to take Jason Kidd as an assistant is odd. It's a sad day when the Cavaliers hire a better coach than the Lakers lol.

Well, this certainly throws a lot of water on that fire. Credit where it's due. Glad they didn't give up Kuzma, and I kinda wish Ball could have stayed, but I think a good FA pickup will take care of that.

Acquiring Davis with LBJ and Kuzma already here makes them a force to be reckoned with going forward.

It's not out of the question that they could land Kemba Walker as a FA too. . . .

Anthony Davis
    Kyle Kuzma
    LeBron James
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
    Kemba Walker

The bench could be a little thin though depending on who wants to go along for the wild ride for a reduced paycheck.

I only wish we could have kept Hart and traded Wagner instead..

Then we could have focused our main resources on getting a pg. Hart would be good enough to start at sg as 5th option. Now we have to get both a starting pg and sg..

I posted this in general forum..

How about this scenario.. Sign Butler to $28m. Fill up cap to enter luxury tax threshold to activate mle, which is 9mil in 2019-20. Sign Beverley for $6m of the MLE. Use remaining MLE to sign Danny Green or some vet who plays guard. You next still have bi-annual exception, which is $3m so you can still get another player for BAE (use it by splitting it to keep Caruso/Johnathon Williams imo). Then you can go into veterans minimum like Vince Carter..

AD/Williams
    LeBron/Wagner
    Kuzma/Green
    Butler/Carter/Bonga
    Beverley/Caruso

Source for mle: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/...xceptions.html

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I posted this in general forum..

How about this scenario.. Sign Butler to $28m. Fill up cap to enter luxury tax threshold to activate mle, which is 9mil in 2019-20. Sign Beverley for $6m of the MLE. Use remaining MLE to sign Danny Green or some vet who plays guard. You next still have bi-annual exception, which is $3m so you can still get another player for BAE (use it by splitting it to keep Caruso/Johnathon Williams imo). Then you can go into veterans minimum like Vince Carter..

AD/Williams
    LeBron/Wagner
    Kuzma/Green
    Butler/Carter/Bonga
    Beverley/Caruso

Source for mle: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/...xceptions.html
    I wish I have your optimism bec I don't see any of those players you mentioned agreeing to the pay you envision them getting.
    It's been rumored Green, Beverley are looking for 10 mil/yr, Butler looking for max. There are many teams with good enough cap rooms to outbid the Lakers.

NBA lottery pick

In a way I would say Wagner still has more upside than Hart. And I actually like Hart. I just think Wagner could be a very good big off the bench with his shooting. And shooting is what this team clearly needs. Hopefully when summer league starts we can see if he has improved his game. Hart is a guy that will play a bunch of years in the league and be productive. He still needs to take that next step to be a solid starter. He could be more of a 6th man type, which is totally fine.

With the Lakers FO screwing up the small details of the AD deal (that turned out to be CRUCIAL), it looks like that dumpster fire in the alley behind headquarters isn't out after all.

I hate to say it, but this can only be attributed to the Lakers neglecting to do their due diligence to know EXACTLY how the trade would impact the team's cap space. Somebody needs to be held accountable for this. Multi-billion dollar organizations cannot survive long if this is 'business as usual'.

Looks like the hope for another max player has been fubar'd. Is there a workable, realistic way for them to recover for the upcoming season? By recover, I mean fill out their roster with a cohort that is capable of making the playoffs, and possibly making it to the conference finals?

What are the long term implications?

Will AD be compelled to resign with a team that screws up like that?

Quote Originally Posted by EllEffEll
    With the Lakers FO screwing up the small details of the AD deal (that turned out to be CRUCIAL), it looks like that dumpster fire in the alley behind headquarters isn't out after all.

I hate to say it, but this can only be attributed to the Lakers neglecting to do their due diligence to know EXACTLY how the trade would impact the team's cap space. Somebody needs to be held accountable for this. Multi-billion dollar organizations cannot survive long if this is 'business as usual'.

Looks like the hope for another max player has been fubar'd. Is there a workable, realistic way for them to recover for the upcoming season? By recover, I mean fill out their roster with a cohort that is capable of making the playoffs, and possibly making it to the conference finals?

What are the long term implications?

Will AD be compelled to resign with a team that screws up like that?
    We need to do any 2 of the following 3 things to get to max money level:
    1) salary dump wagner+bonga
    2) AD waives trade kicker
    3) Convince NOP to wait until July 30

That still does not stop us from signing say Butler or kyrie or someone elite to 1+1 deal then re-up to max next summer once we have their bird rights. Other option is to sign 2 mid-level freeagents & just build bench depth.

Honestly I prefer holding onto Wagner. He can be a solid backup. I would try to dump Bonga to the Hawks or someone to clear $1.5m then ask AD to waive $4m trade kicker. Gets you to $29m, which is respectable. All before the MLE, BAE and vets minimum unlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    We need to do any 2 of the following 3 things to get to max money level:
    1) salary dump wagner+bonga
    2) AD waives trade kicker
    3) Convince NOP to wait until July 30

That still does not stop us from signing say Butler or kyrie or someone elite to 1+1 deal then re-up to max next summer once we have their bird rights. Other option is to sign 2 mid-level freeagents & just build bench depth.

Honestly I prefer holding onto Wagner. He can be a solid backup. I would try to dump Bonga to the Hawks or someone to clear $1.5m then ask AD to waive $4m trade kicker. Gets you to $29m, which is respectable. All before the MLE, BAE and vets minimum unlocks.
    Good to know. Thanks for clarifying!

I hope we can bring in Beverley or Seth Curry to go with Butler. Beverley might get 13-14mil so maybe tough to get. Seth may be gotten for 8. Then give the rest to Butler on a 1+1 deal so he opts out after year 1, and you give him close to max but bit less. I would use mle, biannual exemption and vets minimum to round out roster with players like Korver and whomever else willing to come.

If Seth is gone then I guess you target Darren Collison. He plays crap defense unfortunately but he fits this team well. There is George Hill and possibly Ricky Rubio but I don't know his contract info

I don't want to go after Kemba if Butler is an option. We need 1 elite defender at guard. Kemba is a terrible defender to max out imo. Kyrie would be a good option but gets injured too much. I just hope we don't lose our way and target razzle-and-dazzle over defense