Local High School Star

Default Start a new job tomorrow which will be an adjustment for me because..

1. I will only see my cell phone 1 time between 9am and 5:30pm...LUNCH

2. I can't eat lunch at my desk and have to go to the lunch room......."May go out to eat"

3. I won't control the flow of my day since I will be in training/orientation

4.I can't talk about the NBA news that happened today because I don't know anyone

5. I don't know if my supervisor will be a Man or a woman, young or old

BUT it's a job that is 10 mins away from home, same salary as the job that laid me off in June and it's 2 across the street from a supermarket,

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Start a new job tomorrow which will be an adjustment for me because..

Did you have any prior work experience?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Start a new job tomorrow which will be an adjustment for me because..

Jesus christ you seem coddled. Cant talk NBA? Poor baby.

Anyway, just because you don't know anybody doesn't mean you cant talk NBA. Meet new people. Training/orientation is the best time since you all have something in common already.

Besides all that, congrats on the new job dude.

what is the job? hard to care about this thread without any details

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Jesus christ you seem coddled. Cant talk NBA? Poor baby.

Anyway, just because you don't know anybody doesn't mean you cant talk NBA. Meet new people. Training/orientation is the best time since you all have something in common already.

Besides all that, congrats on the new job dude.

Funny you mention orientation. I didn't get a new employee orientation yet which is why I am trying to figure out why the f*ck did I start today at the worksite and not at headquarters? So do I go into tomorrow and inquiry about when will I be going to new employee orientation? How the f*ck do you have me start today and not tell me anything about what time I go to lunch, when I will be in orientation or my schedule for the rest of the week. Just have me sitting in a cubicle all f*cking day ? My email is not setup which I know takes time but this really p*ssed me off today.

They better hope by some miracle I don't get a job offer from the govt job I interviewed with last week because I would go to lunch and not come the f*ck back at all

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Did you have any prior work experience?

yes they put me right to work but I don't want to do shit until I complete enrollment paperwork for healthcare and attend the orientation. I never expected to be working on day 1 of the ****ing job. I just knew i would be in training

Quote Originally Posted by PWB15
    Funny you mention orientation. I didn't get a new employee orientation yet which is why I am trying to figure out why the f*ck did I start today at the worksite and not at headquarters? So do I go into tomorrow and inquiry about when will I be going to new employee orientation? How the f*ck do you have me start today and not tell me anything about what time I go to lunch, when I will be in orientation or my schedule for the rest of the week. Just have me sitting in a cubicle all f*cking day ? My email is not setup which I know takes time but this really p*ssed me off today.

They better hope by some miracle I don't get a job offer from the govt job I interviewed with last week because I would go to lunch and not come the f*ck back at all
    ****ing chill out dude. You got PAID to sit on your ass all day and do nothing? SWEET. That's a ****ing win. Some companies don't have their shit together initially or maybe it's a small company and their HR sucks. It happens dude. Just enjoy having low stress for 1-2 weeks if that's what's happening.

It's perfectly acceptable to ask about your new employee orientation - just have the social skills to not come off as needy. Be adaptable.

If you're at the worksite, maybe show some initiative and ask if there's anything you can do in the meantime to kill time? Strategically go get some coffee and introduce yourself?

And while in conversation say, "hey, it looks like I came in a bit earlier than my employee orientation which HR is sorting out but do you know anyone or anybody that would be in my department I can talk to and get a head start?"

If you're at the worksite and they can't have you do anything, I would kindly ask them about speaking to HR and see if you can go to the office or something. This probably isn't the first time it's happened.
    Last edited by Hawker; 07-02-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PWB15
    yes they put me right to work but I don't want to do shit until I complete enrollment paperwork for healthcare and attend the orientation. I never expected to be working on day 1 of the ****ing job. I just knew i would be in training
    You need to relax man. You're not going to last with this kind of attitude. Be more adaptable.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with calling HR and requesting some info about healthcare packages before you get going. In America, you can't have a break in health insurance so I fully support you on that.

Talk to your supervisor ASAP and I bet they would understand. Duck into the HR office for a quick visit - sort out the healthcare shit and get back to work. Express to him that you DO want to get right into it and help but getting health insurance is a priority to you. And your 401k shit before your first paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    what is the job? hard to care about this thread without any details
    Def seems like a Call Center.

"We are calling you about your vehicles extended warranty"