College superstar

Default Why do we support teams and not players? It's a new era.

Quite honestly, I'm a little fed up as a Laker fan.

I don't like Lebron, never have. I recognize his greatness as a player, I just don't like how he conducts himself and how thin skinned and petty he can be.

That being said, Lebron pretty much started this whole movement of players being in control of free agency. Players are the ones forming teams now and controlling where they go. Truthfully, I like Kawhi and I hate that he's on the Clippers. The Laker fan in me wants to resent him for it but I fully respect the guy for this move. He is the anti-Lebron.

I was never a Clipper fan, and truthfully I can't say I'm all that much of a Laker fan anymore .

The Clippers are run well, nothing was leaked, they got the job done and won Kawhi over. This is the way I would the franchise I support to operate.

I think the Lakers are actually the favorites to win it all this season. We have AD and Lebron and we have a legit 11 players who can all contribute. I don't see how the Clippers can compete with that with the front court they currently have. This is not me hopping off one bandwagon to go to another, I actually think the Clippers being the favorites is completely overblown.

That being said, I don't like Lebron. I don't like the way the franchise is being run. It's a circus. Yes, there's history and tradition, but this Lakers franchise is not the same one that was run by Jerry Buss. It's an abomination.

Default Re: Why do we support teams and not players? It's a new era.

who cares if you support teams or players. Do what you like

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Quite honestly, I'm a little fed up as a Laker fan.

I don't like Lebron, never have. I recognize his greatness as a player, I just don't like how he conducts himself and how thin skinned and petty he can be.

That being said, Lebron pretty much started this whole movement of players being in control of free agency. Players are the ones forming teams now and controlling where they go. Truthfully, I like Kawhi and I hate that he's on the Clippers. The Laker fan in me wants to resent him for it but I fully respect the guy for this move. He is the anti-Lebron.

I was never a Clipper fan, and truthfully I can't say I'm all that much of a Laker fan anymore .

The Clippers are run well, nothing was leaked, they got the job done and won Kawhi over. This is the way I would the franchise I support to operate.

I think the Lakers are actually the favorites to win it all this season. We have AD and Lebron and we have a legit 11 players who can all contribute. I don't see how the Clippers can compete with that with the front court they currently have. This is not me hopping off one bandwagon to go to another, I actually think the Clippers being the favorites is completely overblown.

That being said, I don't like Lebron. I don't like the way the franchise is being run. It's a circus. Yes, there's history and tradition, but this Lakers franchise is not the same one that was run by Jerry Buss. It's an abomination.
    Nothing wrong with that, but I'm curious what would classify Kawhi as an anti-lebron. Looks to me like he just did what Lebron has already done aside from the injury fiasco in San Antonio.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by keep-itreal
    who cares if you support teams or players. Do what you like
    I guess what I'm trying to say is... Lebron is a bitch* and I respect Kawhi and everything he's done.

*apologies to Lebron's wife and kids.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
    Nothing wrong with that, but I'm curious what would classify Kawhi as an anti-lebron. Looks to me like he just did what Lebron has already done aside from the injury fiasco in San Antonio.
    Dude made it clear he wanted to play in LA from the day he requested a trade from San Antonio.

He gave Toronto everything, played hurt, won Toronto its first NBA title. He's the first FMVP to leave a Championship team for another, he did it to go home. Can't hate him for that.

At the same time, he's a competitor. He knew where he was going, he just wanted to make sure he could compete there. The Clippers as-is is far from being a stacked team and quite frankly, I don't understand why they're the title favorites right now.

The man knew where he wanted to go, how he wants to go, used his leverage to get him what he needed. He didn't take the easy route to championships. It's a far cry from Lebron's Heatles.

Honestly, a huge part of me has started to agree more and more with the general sentiment of rooting for players over teams. Nets and Yankees are the only sports teams I still care about. I love LeBron and root for him anytime he's not facing BKN. I root for the Pats because I like Bill and Brady, but when they're gone... meh.

Other sports I could give a crap. But basketball in particular is very player-focused. I think the movement away from front office control and "loyalty to organizations" is a good thing in general, even if it has been a radical change from how we used to see the game.

Root for whoever you want to root for, player or team. Who tf cares?

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Dude made it clear he wanted to play in LA from the day he requested a trade from San Antonio.

He gave Toronto everything, played hurt, won Toronto its first NBA title. He's the first FMVP to leave a Championship team for another, he did it to go home. Can't hate him for that.

At the same time, he's a competitor. He knew where he was going, he just wanted to make sure he could compete there. The Clippers as-is is far from being a stacked team and quite frankly, I don't understand why they're the title favorites right now.

The man knew where he wanted to go, how he wants to go, used his leverage to get him what he needed. He didn't take the easy route to championships. It's a far cry from Lebron's Heatles.
    So you're telling me aside from faking an entire season worth of injury and the clippers only having enough cap for 2 stars vs. Miami's 3 nothing is different?

And let's be really real about Kawhi's exit from San Antonio, everything was all good until it came time to re-up the Jordan brand endorsement and Mj didn't give him a number he expected. Not long after that he was "suddenly" ready to bolt. Funny coincidence for sure....

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
    So you're telling me aside from faking an entire season worth of injury and the clippers only having enough cap for 2 stars vs. Miami's 3 nothing is different?

And let's be really real about Kawhi's exit from San Antonio, everything was all good until it came time to re-up the Jordan brand endorsement and Mj didn't give him a number he expected. Not long after that he was "suddenly" ready to bolt. Funny coincidence for sure....
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/11/28/...t-jordan-brand

Jordan brand offered him $20m+/4 yrs because he had only played 9 games that season.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    Root for whoever you want to root for, player or team. Who tf cares?
    Just asking a question while at the same time taking shots at Lebron.

I still can't believe he's a Laker.

so OP respects Kawhi for quitting on the Spurs and begging for a trade mid season with a phantom injury

makes sense