Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Poll: Best Metal Band of all time?

[QUOTE=Overdrive]Beethoven had the heavy sound down for sure. I was more talking about influences like use of unusual chords/scales and patterns that were not used in rock until Ritchie and later metal came along.

The first real heavy piece was still before Beethoven imo. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor. Tritone and super heavy at certain parts. H

Ha! The d minor fugue was the piece I predicted you would mention. Love it. But I must say it does leave me wondering if you know precisely which part I'm talking about from Eroica.

It would be a shame to not listen to this piece in its entirety, but the part I'm talking about is from about 8:50 until 9:30.

Of course there was some heavy shit that existed prior, but this feels like a "quantum leap forward". IMO, that whole symphonic movement is the greatest triumph in the history of music.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Cliff was extremely proficient on bass though. Sure, he wasn't as technical as someone like John Myung in his bass lines, but dude could play the shit out of his instrument. James is a really good rhythm guitarist too. Kirk is a solid lead guitarist but there are definitely many better. Lars has always sounded kinda sloppy live but he used to be really energetic and I liked his playing back in the day. Now he sounds like he barely tries and doesn't seem like he's that good anymore. Not that he was ever Dave Lombardo, but he's definitely not the drummer he once was.
    If the goal of a lead guitarist is to play solos which are melodic, song-serving, and sound good, then Hammett is as good as anyone. Speed and precision are not as important as note selection and feel.

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    If the goal of a lead guitarist is to play solos which are melodic, song-serving, and sound good, then Hammett is as good as anyone. Speed and precision are not as important as note selection and feel.
    Hammett is definitely a good guitarist but I wouldn

I think Hammett repeats himself too much personally. Not always a huge fan of his solos tbh. He has some killer ones though. Ride the Lightning is one of his best. I completely get what you mean though and I rank songwriting ability highly in terms of what makes a guitarist great.

Ha! The d minor fugue was the piece I predicted you would mention. Love it. But I must say it does leave me wondering if you know precisely which part I'm talking about from Eroica.

It would be a shame to not listen to this piece in its entirety, but the part I'm talking about is from about 8:50 until 9:30.

Of course there was some heavy shit that existed prior, but this feels like a "quantum leap forward". IMO, that whole symphonic movement is the greatest triumph in the history of music.
    Was just posting songs that I thought were very heavy before Beethoven. I think overall Beethoven was the heaviest. Heavier than Wagner, who I absolutely don't like. 7th symphony, allegretto, that's his heaviest imo.

btw: I love how this again turned into a discussion about classical music between us.

Cliff was extremely proficient on bass though. Sure, he wasn't as technical as someone like John Myung in his bass lines, but dude could play the shit out of his instrument. James is a really good rhythm guitarist too. Kirk is a solid lead guitarist but there are definitely many better. Lars has always sounded kinda sloppy live but he used to be really energetic and I liked his playing back in the day. Now he sounds like he barely tries and doesn't seem like he's that good anymore. Not that he was ever Dave Lombardo, but he's definitely not the drummer he once was.
    Cliff was a virtuoso in the thrash genre. James is definately a very very good to great rhythm guitar player. With most proficient I absolutely meant the aren't shit compared to bands like Dream Theater, but I honestly don't think that's what's needed to be a great band.
    Last edited by Overdrive; 07-16-2019 at 06:03 PM.

I take it we have a bunch of thrash fans here seeing as we got into a big discussion about Metallica, so what are some of your guys' favorite thrash bands and albums (outside of Metallica)? Bonus points for non-big 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Relinquish
    I take it we have a bunch of thrash fans here seeing as we got into a big discussion about Metallica, so what are some of your guys' favorite thrash bands and albums (outside of Metallica)? Bonus points for non-big 4.
    I like Slayer the best besides Metallica as far as Thrash bands I’ve heard. Then Megadeth. Testament is really good too. I also like what I’ve heard from Anthrax, Overkill, Kreator, Sodom, Exodus and Wehrmacht. There are others I’m forgetting I’m sure. I think I liked Nuclear Assault. Oh yeah, Forbidden, Destruction, EvilDead, Xentrix, Annihilator, Death Angel, Sacrifice and Sadus are all good.
    Last edited by RRR3; 07-16-2019 at 09:40 PM.

I like Slayer the best besides Metallica as far as Thrash bands I’ve heard. Then Megadeth. Testament is really good too. I also like what I’ve heard from Anthrax, Overkill, Kreator, Sodom, Exodus and Wehrmacht. There are others I’m forgetting I’m sure. I think I liked Nuclear Assault. Oh yeah, Forbidden, Destruction, EvilDead, Xentrix, Annihilator, Death Angel, Sacrifice and Sadus are all good.
    Great list. Been meaning to check out Wehrmacht, the only band here I haven't heard. I love Annihilator, Kreator and Overkill the most out of these but all of these bands have ace albums that I like a lot. Any love for Coroner, Artillery, Demolition Hammer, Voivod, Morbid Saint, Razor, Sepultura, Heathen, Whiplash, Exumer? Love all of these bands.

Great list. Been meaning to check out Wehrmacht, the only band here I haven't heard. I love Annihilator, Kreator and Overkill the most out of these but all of these bands have ace albums that I like a lot. Any love for Coroner, Artillery, Demolition Hammer, Voivod, Morbid Saint, Razor, Sepultura, Heathen, Whiplash, Exumer? Love all of these bands.
    I have only listened to Sepultura and Voivod from that list. Sepultura are badass, I guess I just don’t think of them when I think of thrash bands. Their earlier stuff is definitely thrashy, but some of it could easily be called death metal too. I loved their groove metal album Chaos AD and Roots is cool. Voivod are good. They are kinda weird. My friend adores them.

I have only listened to Sepultura and Voivod from that list. Sepultura are badass, I guess I just don’t think of them when I think of thrash bands. Their earlier stuff is definitely thrashy, but some of it could easily be called death metal too. I loved their groove metal album Chaos AD and Roots is cool. Voivod are good. They are kinda weird. My friend adores them.
    Yea Sepultura definitely floats into death metal territory a bit while still being predominately thrash. I love their first 4 albums and Bestial Devastation, really great heavy aggressive thrash. Morbid Visions and BD are also very influential to death/black metal. Can't really get into Chaos AD or the stuff after, sadly. Voivod is a great band with such a diverse discog. Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are my favs, but I like a ton of their stuff.

Definitely check out some of those other bands, they all have killer stuff. If you want recommendations for where to start I can hook you up.

Yea Sepultura definitely floats into death metal territory a bit while still being predominately thrash. I love their first 4 albums and Bestial Devastation, really great heavy aggressive thrash. Morbid Visions and BD are also very influential to death/black metal. Can't really get into Chaos AD or the stuff after, sadly. Voivod is a great band with such a diverse discog. Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are my favs, but I like a ton of their stuff.

Definitely check out some of those other bands, they all have killer stuff. If you want recommendations for where to start I can hook you up.
    Sure give me your recommendations man.

Also got any more doom bands? That’s my favorite type of metal if you couldn’t guess

Sure give me your recommendations man.

Also got any more doom bands? That’s my favorite type of metal if you couldn’t guess
    Coroner - Punishment for Decadence, Mental Vortex for more prog
    Artillery - By Inheritance
    Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
    Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
    Razor - Violent Restitution
    Heathen - Victims of Deception
    Whiplash - Power and Pain
    Exumer - Possessed By Fire

For some doom that you didn't mention earlier, check out

Solitude Aeturnus - first 3 albums
    Trouble - first 2 and Manic Frustrations for stoner
    Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead (kind of trad + doom)
    Magic Circle - first 2
    The Obsessed - first 3 (wino project)
    Spirit Caravan (wino project) for some stoner (everything, start with Jug Fulla Sun)
    Down - Nola
    Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know (basically another Sabbath album with Dio but doomy)
    High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings for doomier, Death Is This Communion and De Vermis Mysteriis for a bit thrashier
    Inter Arma - The Cavern (post/sludge/prog single song epic)
    Spiritual Beggars - Mantra III for stoner
    Last edited by Relinquish; 07-16-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

National High School Star

Loved Sepultura, especially the Max Cavalera days

this band, Rage Against the Machine & System of a Down are few metal bands who tackle socio-political issues