Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

  1. #1
    College superstar Shogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,797

    Default Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...ficit-for-2019


    Unreal. When will we ever get someone who will balance the budget?

    Oh wait, we won't... because half of Washington wants big military and the other half wants a welfare state for a lazy populace that doesn't understand that life isn't fair.

    Be grateful we print the world's reserve currency at will.

    I hate Washington D.C.

  2. #2
    College superstar Shogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,797

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Also... Trump's dumb ass seems to believe that the trade war was ever going to result in anything other than a zero sum game for the states and a lose lose for the people which actually ends up as a negative for the state.

    Been listening to Lou Dobbs too long.

  3. #3
    Atkinson Fam Head ScalsFan21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,979

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    The answer is no. Many of these things could easily be fully paid for if our politicians were willing enough to tax the rich like they should. The entire Sanders agenda, for instance.

    So many of the debt hawks are only willing to shrink the debt on extreme libertarian terms. The popularity of the welfare state and (unfortunately) having a big military that laps the next 12 combined likely aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so the most likely avenue to addressing the deficit and debt is higher tax rates. But that's theft.

  4. #4
    College superstar Shogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,797

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    The answer is no. Many of these things could easily be fully paid for if our politicians were willing enough to tax the rich like they should. The entire Sanders agenda, for instance.
    **** off, you wealth redistributing dumbass.

    Truly rich people already pay significantly more in taxes on an annual basis than you will pay in your entire life.

    Federal income tax shouldn't even be a thing.

  5. #5
    Atkinson Fam Head ScalsFan21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,979

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    **** off, you wealth redistributing dumbass.

    Truly rich people already pay significantly more in taxes on an annual basis than you will pay in your entire life.
    You're not going to find anyone in the 99.5% who deny this. What you say is obviously a fact. LeBron paid more tax this year than almost anyone on the planet will before they die.

    It's just that an ever-growing percentage of us think they should still be paying significantly more.

    Would you reconsider your position about wealth redistribution if the workforce was shrunk by 30% thanks to automation? 40%? I'm just asking if there's a cutoff in your mind. Do you have a solution for that impending problem (which already impacts the world in a big way) that does not involve gov "handouts"? Charity gonna take care of that?

  6. #6
    College superstar Shogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,797

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    You're not going to find anyone in the 99.5% who deny this. What you say is obviously a fact. LeBron paid more tax this year than almost anyone on the planet will before they die.

    It's just that an ever-growing percentage of us think they should still be paying significantly more.

    Would you reconsider your position about wealth redistribution if the workforce was shrunk by 30% thanks to automation? 40%? I'm just asking if there's a cutoff in your mind.
    LeBron James shouldn't be taxed more because Amazon is gobbling up as much of the retail market and eliminating as many jobs as possible. The **** does that have to do with him?

    As far as automation goes... yes, we are ****ed. Something needs to be done. Discussions need to be had. I don't have an answer for that.

    To be clear, wealth redistribution by people like LeBron James absolutely SHOULD happen, but it SHOULD NOT be because the federal government forced his hand. Federal governments don't do much of anything except mismanage money and breed corruption. Even at the state level it's usually a problem... look at Cali.
    Last edited by Shogon; 07-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.

  7. #7
    Atkinson Fam Head ScalsFan21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,979

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    LeBron James shouldn't be taxed more because Amazon is gobbling up as much of the retail market and eliminating as many jobs as possible. The **** does that have to do with him?

    As far as automation goes... yes, we are ****ed. Something needs to be done. Discussions need to be had. I don't have an answer for that.

    To be clear, wealth redistribution by people like LeBron James absolutely SHOULD happen, but it SHOULD NOT be because the government forced his hand. Federal governments don't do much of anything except mismanage money and breed corruption.
    I just don't see the evidence that private charity could ever replace the welfare state in a way that sustains a society, particularly as we move further into a future that will discard more and more skillsets in favor of AI. If I thought it would actually solve the problem, I would be all in for it. I think on average, the poor will almost certainly get LESS than they would from like a giant UBI system.

    But I also think if progressive taxation is viewed as actual stealing, that's a bridge that is going to be tough to mend. I will never see taxation that way, and vice versa I'm sure. If there is one thing that will make 2060's potentially massive unemployment rate create MORE misery than the unmitigated reliance on gov't intervention (which I admit, it's no replacement for real purpose in life), it'd be the reliance on the generosity of the super wealthy to survive.

    I can only imagine the inequality at that point if Uncle Sam doesn't step in, putting it bluntly. We can chalk all this up to envy all we like, but I think there's a human nature element that needs to be factored in when we're talking about sustaining civilization. This is, along with climate change, such a major problem that seems just "far off" enough to keep kicking down the road. Kind of like the debt, ironically.
    Last edited by ScalsFan21; 07-17-2019 at 08:45 AM.

  8. #8
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,479

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    **** off, you wealth redistributing dumbass.

    Truly rich people already pay significantly more in taxes on an annual basis than you will pay in your entire life.

    Federal income tax shouldn't even be a thing.

    They also made enough money for 100s or 1000s of lifetimes.

    This stuff is relative, not absolute.

    The only way out the great depression and wealth gap back then was socialism...

    a healthy economy cannot exist with a certain tilt were approaching. That seems to fly over your head.

  9. #9
    Big Booty Hoes!! NumberSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Internets
    Posts
    28,533

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Tax the rich and use that money to give people military jobs, not welfare.

    #solved

  10. #10
    Bucks Brigade Jasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    13,730

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...ficit-for-2019


    Unreal. When will we ever get someone who will balance the budget?

    Oh wait, we won't... because half of Washington wants big military and the other half wants a welfare state for a lazy populace that doesn't understand that life isn't fair.

    Be grateful we print the world's reserve currency at will.

    I hate Washington D.C.
    Dem's said they would not of had this projection occur back in 2018.
    Trump never even spoke of it = Make America Great again.

  11. #11
    Bucks Brigade Jasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    13,730

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Tax the rich and use that money to give people military jobs, not welfare.

    #solved
    so we can concur the world.. Make America Great Again

  12. #12
    King Heno qrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tucson/520!
    Posts
    25,047

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    I just love how some people think that giving the government more control over individual lives is the way out

  13. #13
    for your health Prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7,847

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    ok suppose automation does eliminate enough jobs to form a true crisis

    the lower classes wont have money to buy the efficient services provided by the automation, which will hurt the pigs

    eventually we would face sweeping socialist reform/revolution not out of idealism or class war... but out of hard necessity and the interest of the wealthy and poor alike

  14. #14
    Local High School Star Rolando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,720

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    This happens every time the Repbulicans take over.

    They reduce taxes and regulations on businesses.
    The ecomony gets pumped up. Wall Street goes nuts.

    The deficit grows.

    At some point, like it always does, the economy comes crashing down. Democrats come in, raise taxes, tighten up regulations and slowly rebuild.

  15. #15
    Local High School Star Rolando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,720

    Default Re: Federal deficit to surpass $1 Trillion in 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Tax the rich and use that money to give people military jobs, not welfare.

    #solved
    Agreed. But also, return the military to the States and put them in charge of rebuilding infrastructure. Go at it like it's a war.

    Everyone would benefit from this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •