Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Marvel Confirms Phase 4 Movies/Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm
    Those are TV shows on the new Disney streaming service. The others are actual movies in the theatre
    That makes WAAAAAYYYYYY more sense. Thanks.

I was sitting here like, lmaoo... no way does a "Wanda Vision" movie do that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    According to Terrance Howard, he personally played a large role in Downey getting the role. That's getting lucky. Unless Terrance exaggerated, which he totally could have.
    Howard is just trying to get credit. The director wanted Downey and fought for him

Favreau chose Downey,

because he felt the actor's past made him an appropriate choice for the part, explaining "The best and worst moments of Robert's life have been in the public eye. He had to find an inner balance to overcome obstacles that went far beyond his career. That's Tony Stark."

Favreau faced opposition from Marvel in casting Downey, but would not take no for an answer, saying, "It was my job as a director to show that it was the best choice creatively ... everybody knew he was talented [and] certainly by studying the Iron Man role and developing that script I realized that the character seemed to line-up with Robert in all the good and bad ways.

While preparing for filming, Favreau and Downey were given a tour of SpaceX by Elon Musk. Downey said, "Elon was someone Tony probably hung out with and partied with, or more likely they went on some weird jungle trek together to drink concoctions with the shamans."
    Hiring RDJ was a huge gamble at the time. He was in and out of rehab, had been fired from projects, and couldn't even get insured for some movies. Favreau hit this one out of the park.

NEWS
    Jon Favreau Details His Fight With Marvel Studios To Cast Robert Downey Jr. As Iron Man

While Robert Downey Jr. is now easily one of the most beloved movie stars in the world, prior to taking on the role of Tony Stark in 2008's Iron Man the actor had a very different public image. Despite years and years of putting on fantastic performances in great films, the star was much better known for his drug and alcohol habits and as a result was considered by many in the studio system to be an extreme risk. Despite Downey Jr. cleaning up his act, this behavior continued all the way up until Marvel Studios began carving out plans for their Marvel Cinematic Universe - which is why Jon Favreau really had to go to bat for him in the casting process for Iron Man.

Favreau opened up about casting Robert Downey Jr. during a recent interview with the Texas radio station 100.3 Jack FM, and revealed to the hosts that while Iron Man he brought up the idea of casting Downey Jr. in the lead role and was rejected multiple times. Despite all the negativity and wariness surrounding the suggestion, however, the director didn't take "no" for an answer and instead made it his responsibility to show the people at Marvel Studios that he knew exactly which actor he wanted to play the starring role. Said Favreau, "It was my job as a director to show that it was the best choice creatively…and now the Marvel Universe is the biggest franchise in film history."

So why exactly did Favreau insist on having Downey Jr. as his Iron Man? The answer to that question has two parts. One half of it was what Favreau says is his "really special ability" to see talent in other people. The other half, though, was the fact that the director simply saw far too many similarities between the journey the character takes in the film and what his actor friend had gone through during his time on the big screen.
    “Everybody knew he was talented… Certainly by studying the Iron Man role and developing that script I realized that the character seemed to line-up with Robert in all the good and bad ways. And the story of Iron Man was really the story of Robert’s career.”

Of course, Jon Favreau was eventually able to convince the folks at Marvel Studios that Robert Downey Jr. was the perfect Tony Stark, and it turned out to be one of the greatest decisions in blockbuster history. Not including The Avengers, the Iron Man franchise has made over $2.4 billion at the global box office, and there's no denying that a great deal of that success comes from the magnetism and charisma of the franchise's main star. Explained Favreau in summation, "That was a big gamble on whether or not he was really serious about it… and now history has definitely proven that he was dead serious about it and now he is the biggest star in the world."
    Last edited by Facepalm; 07-21-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Howard is just trying to get credit. The director wanted Downey and fought for him
    Ok so whether it was Howard or Favreau, it boils down to one guy that isn't the decision maker insisting on getting RDJ cast. That's luck, either way.

For the record, Howard claimed to have willingly given up $1 million to try to get him cast...

He was the first of the leading roles to be cast, and says that he took a $1 million pay cut to help persuade Marvel to hire Robert Downey Jr. for the Iron Man role when the studio was having doubts.
    Either way, it wasn't this grand mastermind at Marvel saying "this is our guy" the whole time... they lucked into him.

Ok so whether it was Howard or Favreau, it boils down to one guy that isn't the decision maker insisting on getting RDJ cast. That's luck, either way.

For the record, Howard claimed to have willingly given up $1 million to try to get him cast...

Either way, it wasn't this grand mastermind at Marvel saying "this is our guy" the whole time... they lucked into him.

How do you read this quote

the director didn't take "no" for an answer and instead made it his responsibility to show the people at Marvel Studios that he knew exactly which actor he wanted to play the starring role. Said Favreau, "It was my job as a director to show that it was the best choice creatively…and now the Marvel Universe is the biggest franchise in film history."
    and still come to the conclusion that they lucked into him? The director had him in mind and fought against the suits at Disney to consider him. RDJ then went and auditioned and blew every one away, confirming Favreau's stance. That's not luck.

How do you read this quote

and still come to the conclusion that they lucked into him? The director had him in mind and fought against the suits at Disney to consider him. RDJ then went and auditioned and blew every one away, confirming Favreau's stance. That's not luck.
    On Favreau's end it wasn't luck, but Favreau wasn't the ultimate decision maker. Favreau isn't the MCU.

On Favreau's end it wasn't luck, but Favreau wasn't the ultimate decision maker. Favreau isn't the MCU.
    Yes, but Favreau is the director. He has plenty of influence. He's the one that convinced Feigan to give RDJ a look, RDJ nailed the audition, the rest is history.

Luck would be if they hired someone to play Wolverine (Dougray Scott), the actor has to pull out last minute because his current film's production runs late (MI2), they settle on an alternate (Hugh Jackman), and he proceeds to own the part for 17 years and 9 movies. THAT'S luck
    Last edited by Facepalm; 07-21-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Yes, but Favreau is the director. He has plenty of influence. He's the one that convinced Feigan to give RDJ a look, RDJ nailed the audition, the rest is history.

Luck would be if they hired someone to play Wolverine (Dougray Scott), the actor has to pull out last minute because his current film's production runs late (MI2), they settle on an alternate (Hugh Jackman), and he proceeds to own the part for 17 years and 9 movies. THAT'S luck
    They didn't want to consider him... they happened to have a director that was adamant. If it was a different director, it goes a different way. There are varying degrees to luck.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Hes the executive producer of like 7 billion dollars of movies. Hes one of the people we mean when we say "They" know what they are doing. How is the EP of a quarter of their movies not gonna be considered part of the MCU?

He produced Ironman, ironman 3, and all 3 avengers and directed the first 2 Ironman movies. Who is the MCU if not him?

Hes at least one of the top guys who shaped the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Hes the executive producer of like 7 billion dollars of movies. Hes one of the people we mean when we say "They" know what they are doing. How is the EP of a quarter of their movies not gonna be considered part of the MCU?

He produced Ironman, ironman 3, and all 3 avengers and directed the first 2 Ironman movies. Who is the MCU if not him?

Hes at least one of the top guys who shaped the thing.
    I didn't say he wasn't part of the MCU... I said he wasn't the MCU.

The majority of those movies his name gets tossed on as an afterthought. Not to say he didn't contribute, but his role and title are vastly overstated.

Iron Man 1 was his baby and maybe Iron Man 2 and that's about it.

There is no one director. No one guy. Its dozens of projects going on over a decade+. But he has in fact had more to do with it than most of them.

Who do you think people mean when they reference a track record that suggests they know what they are doing? Marvel has not had a misstep yet. Their biggest mistakes make 600 million. John and many others are the reason for that...and they are still around.

Doesnt mean any one of them have to direct every movie. Nobody would have time for that.

You just gonna keep predicting their decline because its inevitable like all things decline?

Ali already played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage, looks like they want to distance themselves even more from Netflix. Jane Foster Thor is pissing a lot of ppl off(for good reason, it sucked). The best thing on this list looks like Dr. Strange w/ Scarlet Witch tbh.

As far as the females who have had the power of Thor in the comics I

[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]As far as the females who have had the power of Thor in the comics I

Infinity War was probably the best movie of the entire franchise. It's not often we straight up get to see a villain win and see a story told almost entirely from their POV.

RDJ was their best actor.

I wouldn't say they suck dick... I will say they become awfully repetitive and the longer any major protagonist/major hero goes on the more that character trends towards being very similar to Iron Man/RDJ with the quick witted dialogue. The movies also follow very, very similar patterns and as such they have become quite stale as a collective, with some still fun individual movies.

I will also say... part of the magic of these movies was/is the audience/a packed house on opening night. I typically don't like noise in theaters whatsoever... let's just watch the damn movie... but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that a packed theater on opening night amplified the ability to enjoy all of these movies and made them feel significantly more hyped.
    Maybe it's just knee jerk reactions, but everyone I've talked to liked Endgame more than Infinity War. I think what does it for everyone is the Avengers Assemble scene. It's just the complete essence and accumulation of all the movies you've followed to that moment you've been waiting for that you didn't think in the back of your mind they'd pull off, but they pulled it off really well.

The recent comics run that gave Thor's hammer to Jane was actually pretty good. It was dumb that Thor became her name though, as if it was a title. Portman is just too petite imo, they need a woman with more physical presence to play the female Thor, but she was already cast as Jane years ago so

Valkyrie should have been the female Thor if they wanted to go in that direction.
    We don't know what direction they'll go. People are just assuming it'll be Jane Foster as Thor. Maybe it'll be Valkryie, maybe someone else. Maybe no one will be Thor since Thor is slated to be in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and someone only temporarily has his powers.