NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Jonathan Kuminga, a top HS prospect

My goodness... ..

he's already the #1 prospect for 2021 but I hadn't seen him play yet.. now that I have - good god....

Best set of skills and athleticism in a high school kid that I've seen.. ever i think

He's elite at taking off in all the ways a player can take off

good jumper .. can bang down low... powerful physique .. assassin mentality.... guard handle... Superb drop-step.. explosive player.. intimidates guys .. a beast

I think he's the next big thing

NBA sixth man of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Default Re: Kuminga

I'll check him out bro

Best mix of athleticism and skills since lebron would you say?

If so, those are enormous shoes to fill

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc.
    I'll check him out bro

Best mix of athleticism and skills since lebron would you say?

If so, those are enormous shoes to fill
    tremendous athleticism

skills-wise, I now see some issues..

his repertoire off-the-dribble is weak.. he's a somewhat mechanical ballhandler that doesn't get low enough sometimes with the dribble; doesn't step into his crossovers sufficiently to create distance; and his live dribble footwork isn't the optimal cadence that gets him by the defender..

he should watch brandon ingram, steve nash, or paul pierce and the way they set up defenders quickly off the dribble with optimal cadence footwork, and are never really in a spot where they can't get by the defender.. pierce/nash's slower speed and ingram's size make it so they must use textbook, optimal cadence footwork to get by defenders, and they do it to perfection.. he should emulate them off-the-dribble.

also, it's hard to tell if his pull-up jumper will be good.. he's athletically superior at this level, so he doesn't need to pull-up for jumpers and can just get to the rim through physicality.. the couple times I've seen him pull-up on the highlights, it looks somewhat mechanical and possibly a line-drive/almost a knuckleball, aka not good.. but he almost never takes them because he doesn't have to at this level, so it's hard to tell.. his 3-point shot looks very solid, but it's more of a stand-still, mechanical shot because he isn't used to shooting pull-ups.. his handle needs work imo…

and like all modern players, he should work on his post and triple-threat footwork - with that physique and athleticism to cover tremendous ground with few steps, and with his already-exceptional drop-step ability, his post and triple-threat game should be literally unstoppable.
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-16-2019 at 10:03 PM.

7-time NBA All-Star

Boom baby