Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Charles Barkley's Post Up Moves (15:48 Minutes)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Moses Malone was arguable the GOAT mentor

Yup, mentored Dream and Sir Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    McHale has the most moves ever. Hakeem had the best feet of any center ever. And then you got Wilt and Shaq as the most dominant inside scorers. Barkley? He was a mix of the first two mentioned skill wise but also had the power of the last two mentioned. Never will we see again someone so small doing what he did. As Dr. J said regarding Barkley: "Some parts of the game where a little to easy for him"

This is why I get upset with Chuck when he doesn't consider himself the GOAT PF. I've never seen a man his size do the things on the court he used to--score with ease, banging with big men in the post, beating them for rebounds, directing the offense, taking the ball from one end of the court to the other, etc.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    This is why I get upset with Chuck when he doesn't consider himself the GOAT PF. I've never seen a man his size do the things on the court he used to--score with ease, banging with big men in the post, beating them for rebounds, directing the offense, taking the ball from one end of the court to the other, etc.
    He says Duncan is the best but he considers himself better than Karl Malone. This is despite the fact that Duncan spent most of his career playing at center.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    I think he knows that he is. He just can't say that about himself when TD has 5 rings. He'd get roasted.

I think most objective people would acknowledge that peak Barkley was the best that a PF has been. He lacks the success and longevity of TD, and to a lesser exent Karl and Dirk, but this is entirely due to being on bad teams, then coming up against the GOAT, then suffering a prime-ending back injury at a relatively young age.

But seriously... give Barkley Pop and those spurs rosters, and he'd be winning rings too.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

2003 removes a lot of the roster discussion. Tim won with a team that was just a bunch of washed up veterans and unproven fairly non-productive future good players. Hersey Hawkins in Philly was better than anyone Duncan had on the spurs in their 2003 form. Though I grant you Barkley was playing in a tougher league to win a title in at the time.

What is really interesting is that a crippled, injured and oveweight Barkley held is own against Duncan in their last meetings. Now a 1989-93 Barkley? That dude was the 2nd best player in the league!

High School Varsity 6th Man

What is really interesting is that a crippled, injured and oveweight Barkley held is own against Duncan in their last meetings. Now a 1989-93 Barkley? That dude was the 2nd best player in the league!
    What he said.

Zion should make this his bible.

Quote Originally Posted by colts19
    What he said.
    Yes. He said Duncan is the GOAT PF. But...he considers himself better than Karl Malone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V846w8P_9OE

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    have fun researching the efficiency of a quick shot over drawing doubles
    Barkley was among the players that recieved more double teaming in NBA history. If you don't double Barkley in between the mid range and painted post area you where dead. He was amazing against double teams.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    2003 removes a lot of the roster discussion. Tim won with a team that was just a bunch of washed up veterans and unproven fairly non-productive future good players. Hersey Hawkins in Philly was better than anyone Duncan had on the spurs in their 2003 form. Though I grant you Barkley was playing in a tougher league to win a title in at the time.
    I don't know about this.

1991 Hersey was a pretty good 2nd option in 91. Better than 2003 Parker? Sure. But the rest of the roster was so trash. Just really awful. And the coach? He was no Pop. And the opposition who beat them? They went 15-2 in the playoffs, including a sweep of the two time defending champs.

1990 was Barkley's best roster at Philly. 1990 Hersey was a sophomore and not better than 2003 Parker. Then you have Jackson, Bowen, Ginobli, DRob... these are all quality role players. Sure Barkley's role players scored more ppg, but this is due partly to pace, and partly to Barkley himself, who lifted everyone's scoring, as I have shown in a previous thread.

I've seen my share of Chicago-Philly games circa 89-91 when Barkley was the dominant player on the floor....and that was with peak MJ sharing the court with him. Dude was a flat-out dynamic talent.

In a league with the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    I've seen my share of Chicago-Philly games circa 89-91 when Barkley was the dominant player on the floor....and that was with peak MJ sharing the court with him. Dude was a flat-out dynamic talent.
    Indeed: he was physically better in Phily than in Phoenix. But...in the Suns he was a smarter player in the post and all. Sadly that laste only 4 years and many people only know the Houston Barkley which is not close to prime or peak Sir Charles.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve
    I don't know about this.

1991 Hersey was a pretty good 2nd option in 91. Better than 2003 Parker? Sure. But the rest of the roster was so trash. Just really awful. And the coach? He was no Pop. And the opposition who beat them? They went 15-2 in the playoffs, including a sweep of the two time defending champs.

1990 was Barkley's best roster at Philly. 1990 Hersey was a sophomore and not better than 2003 Parker. Then you have Jackson, Bowen, Ginobli, DRob... these are all quality role players. Sure Barkley's role players scored more ppg, but this is due partly to pace, and partly to Barkley himself, who lifted everyone's scoring, as I have shown in a previous thread.

Hawkins in his second season was pretty much who he was gonna be. He was 23 and put up 24ppg on good shooting in the playoffs. He outscored Barkley in the Cavs series and dropped 39 in the deciding game.

https://youtu.be/Er_2Us-vkhc

Hawkins killed the cavs. Drives. Off ball. 3s from all over.

Tony Parker was years from being an all-star player in 03. He was a 20 year old sophomore player himself but we talking about Hawkins being young? He was getting benched for speedy Claxton in plenty of key moments. That spurs team was Tim Duncan and a bunch of names.

David Robinson out there giving you five points a game for an entire series versus the defending champions. David had 14 points in game one and then 14 points for the entire rest of the series. That is not David Robinson. That