View Poll Results: Anthony Davis or Draymond Green?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anthony Davis

6 66.67%
  • Draymond Green

3 33.33%

Default Who would you rank higher- Anthony Davis or Draymond Green?

We all know who's who and what they bring to the table.

One's a "first option " type who is constantly depended on to produce monster offensive numbers to win while providing solid defense but next to no leadership and other intangibles. Has not proven much as the first option, hasn't won much. Hasn't elevated his teammates much if at all.

The other we have only seen in a third option role whose team does not rely on him to score the basketball but rather to do everything else on the floor from rebounding to playmaking to defending to being the leader and to do it all at an incredibly high, winning-caliber, elite level. He has won 3 chips performing his role masterfully.

Very different players, very different careers.

Gun to your head, who are you ranking higher all time? I'm not asking who is better, but who would you rank higher as a player?

Default Re: Who would you rank higher- Anthony Davis or Draymond Green?

I disagree with very little of what you said. This is a real comparison before we even get to durability.

You see, I was mocked mercilessly by friends when before Draymond Green ever took the starting job from David Lee back in 2014, I accurately foretold that he would ultimately become a top 200 player of all time. There are no ISH receipts to back me up, but it happened. And this Nostradamus-esque prophecy came after my having seen some of what he brought to the table in the previous year's playoffs. I never would've guessed that I'd be shortchanging him in making that prediction.

Having said all that, the answer is Anthony Davis. It's closer than a lot of people think it is. But the answer is still Anthony Davis. I believe he can do 90% of what Dray does if he sets his mind to it (like the clear #2 that he is should do), while being a far better scorer and shooter. But yes. Dirk is the last big man who will "lead" a team to a title under the current NBA rules.

All-time rank is closer, but I guess I'd still go with Davis if they both retired today.

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    I disagree with very little of what you said. This is a real comparison before we even get to durability.

You see, I was mocked mercilessly by friends when before Draymond Green ever took the starting job from David Lee back in 2014, I accurately foretold that he would ultimately become a top 200 player of all time. There are no ISH receipts to back me up, but it happened. And this Nostradamus-esque prophecy came after my having seen some of what he brought to the table in the previous year's playoffs. I never would've guessed that I'd be shortchanging him in making that prediction.

Having said all that, the answer is Anthony Davis. It's closer than a lot of people think it is. But the answer is still Anthony Davis. I believe he can do 90% of what Dray does if he sets his mind to it (like the clear #2 that he is should do), while being a far better scorer and shooter. But yes. Dirk is the last big man who will "lead" a team to a title under the current NBA rules.
    You don't think Embiid or Jokic win one as the man/best player?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    I genuinely don't, man. If it were not for Simmons' playoff disappearing acts, I wouldn't even think Embiid is a more positive real-life impact than he is. I know it's kind of conventional wisdom-ish to say this, but I just think the era of big men is over (as lead dogs/ball-dominator types). The 3-point shooting has become so prevalent, and think there are better ways to run an offense, in order to get those shots up.

Sure, some of them have developed playing styles which are more versatile than bigs from even 4-5 years ago did which allow them to translate their games a bit better, I just don't think it's enough to justify centering an offense around them. I think Gobert is more likely to win as the "best player" than Embiid is, even if he is unlikely to ever be "the man". To me they're two different things.

Jokic is one of my favorite players in the NBA and I'm not sure it's possible to pass better than he does, so I hope I'm wrong about all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    I genuinely don't, man. If it were not for Simmons' playoff disappearing acts, I wouldn't even think Embiid is a more positive real-life impact than he is. I know it's kind of conventional wisdom-ish to say this, but I just think the era of big men is over (as lead dogs/ball-dominator types). The 3-point shooting has become so prevalent, and think there are better ways to run an offense, in order to get those shots up.

Sure, some of them have developed playing styles which are more versatile than bigs from even 4-5 years ago did which allow them to translate their games a bit better, I just don't think it's enough to justify centering an offense around them. I think Gobert is more likely to win as the "best player" than Embiid is, even if he is unlikely to ever be "the man". To me they're two different things.

Jokic is one of my favorite players in the NBA and I'm not sure it's possible to pass better than he does, so I hope I'm wrong about all of this.
    Thing is though someone who is dominant in the paint and demands constant double teams (possibly Embiid/Jokic) would leave 3-4 people wide open at the 3. It would be very similar to Dwight's Magic that went to the finals, that similar type of style can still win. Embiid doesn't have that vision yet and his post moves/decisions need to get better. Jokic does have that vision but he doesn't have the mindset to constantly look at the rim, he's always looking to pass first. But using the Dwight Magic teams formula, big men can definitely still win as the best player on the team, just the rules are slightly against them now.

I'll take the guy who has played more than one meaningful game and dropped 32/15/9 on 73% shooting in a Game 7 of the Finals please.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Who you got higher Sou?

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    Who you got higher Sou?
    That's the classic ability vs. accomplishment question. If the Warriors had held on in 2016 and Dray had won FMVP, I'd have probably gone with him. But for now I think I gotta give the edge to AD.

What bout you?

I