Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What music do you guys have on repeat these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    The new Tool record, Fear Inoculum, came out Aug. 30th and I've listened to that at least once a day.
    It's a strange album. I'm still warming up to it.

I almost feel like Maynard is a little detached from the rest of the band.

It's interesting especially because his influence seemed disproportionately large on 10,000 Days... with the several songs about the death of his mother, and his lyrics/vocals being so central to some of the most memorable tracks (Vicarious and Right in Two come to mind).

But on Fear Inoculum, it seems like his input is an afterthought. I hesitate to say this, but he's kind of weak on the album to me. The instrumentation is so dense, moreso than on their other albums. The transitions and odd counts are so relentless... each song ends and I can barely remember what I heard.

IMO:
    Lateralus > Undertow >

[QUOTE=Prometheus]It's a strange album. I'm still warming up to it.

I almost feel like Maynard is a little detached from the rest of the band.

It's interesting especially because his influence seemed disproportionately large on 10,000 Days... with the several songs about the death of his mother, and his lyrics/vocals being so central to some of the most memorable tracks (Vicarious and Right in Two come to mind).

But on Fear Inoculum, it seems like his input is an afterthought. I hesitate to say this, but he's kind of weak on the album to me. The instrumentation is so dense, moreso than on their other albums. The transitions and odd counts are so relentless... each song ends and I can barely remember what I heard.

IMO:
    Lateralus > Undertow >

Just listened to Fear Inoculum, badass song. Gotta listen to it more but so far I like what I hear. Jones guitar tone sounds a bit like the tone he used on

For me right now, after several listens...and I'll catch hell for this.

Lateralus > Aenima > Fear Inoculum > Undertow > 10,000 Days

Lateralus is, for me, one of the most perfect albums of my lifetime. Aenima still holds up. FI comes above UT for me because 15 minutes of UT is Disgustipated, one of the most useless 15 minute songs ever created, and I say that as someone who got into Tool because of UT.

I'm enjoying a little less of Maynard's influence on the melodies, if I'm being totally honest. Hearing Danny (the god), Adam and Justin really just let loose is absolutely gratifying to hear. Every song except FI is in 7 but there's still a groove that gets your head nodding; making music in odd time signatures that is still catchy is not an easy thing to do. These songs get long but they don't meander into weird experimental territory like they did with 10,000 Days with just lots of droning and ambient noise.

One point of criticism on my part: the first 70 minutes of the record all follow the same tempo. If you haven't given the record several listens, you'd be hard pressed to know where one song ends and another begins. But I forgive this when the record gets to Chocolate Chip Trip and 7empest, which I think is one of the best songs they've ever written.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    For me right now, after several listens...and I'll catch hell for this.

Lateralus > Aenima > Fear Inoculum > Undertow > 10,000 Days

Lateralus is, for me, one of the most perfect albums of my lifetime. Aenima still holds up. FI comes above UT for me because 15 minutes of UT is Disgustipated, one of the most useless 15 minute songs ever created, and I say that as someone who got into Tool because of UT.

I'm enjoying a little less of Maynard's influence on the melodies, if I'm being totally honest. Hearing Danny (the god), Adam and Justin really just let loose is absolutely gratifying to hear. Every song except FI is in 7 but there's still a groove that gets your head nodding; making music in odd time signatures that is still catchy is not an easy thing to do. These songs get long but they don't meander into weird experimental territory like they did with 10,000 Days with just lots of droning and ambient noise.

One point of criticism on my part: the first 70 minutes of the record all follow the same tempo. If you haven't given the record several listens, you'd be hard pressed to know where one song ends and another begins. But I forgive this when the record gets to Chocolate Chip Trip and 7empest, which I think is one of the best songs they've ever written.
    Dude, you could remove Disgustipated then and Undertow would still be a masterpiece.

No catching hell though. I prefer your ranking to TheMan's.

Also - I hadn't noticed that they were all in 7... are you sure? I know at least part of Descending is actually 7-7-7-9 in a four-measure cycle. They definitely went out of their way to make it a theme though. All the heptagrams in the liner notes are just confirmation.

Favorite Tool song of all time? For me it's The Grudge.

A
    Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Can’t get into Gibbs no matter how hard I try
    Listen to his two albums with madlib over anything else. They are by far the best things he's done and up the in the annals of hip.hop classic albums.

Bandana is so good that it reinvigorated me as a man. Like, just a complete landmark release in music history. Icouldn't listen to anything else for at least 3 weeks.

Expectations are a bitch though, just come in with an open mind.

Him and Benny were in the studio recently, so expect some complete fire from them soon.
    Last edited by fsvr54; 09-05-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Favorite Tool song of all time? For me it's The Grudge.
    Forty Six & 2 is my shit

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Dude, you could remove Disgustipated then and Undertow would still be a masterpiece.

No catching hell though. I prefer your ranking to TheMan's.

Also - I hadn't noticed that they were all in 7... are you sure? I know at least part of Descending is actually 7-7-7-9 in a four-measure cycle. They definitely went out of their way to make it a theme though. All the heptagrams in the liner notes are just confirmation.
    I hear you. For me, I take the albums as a whole and say

I have been listening to Welcome to Planet Motherfuc[COLOR="Black"]ker[/COLOR] by White Zombie a lot.

Not exactly on repeat, but Heart Full of Soul by The Yardbirds has one of the best riffs I've heard - what an underrated group.

Hopefully Hiter 7

Meh, I like finding new stuff to listen to the past few months...although my goto has been Kid Cudi's Passion Pain and Demon Slayin for like the past 3 years. Never will that album get old, literally every single song was solid.

He needs to release some new shit, though. One of the most inconsistent artists ever. And I'm not talking about a 7 song collab...even tho Kanye x Cudi was dope.