Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: For about 6 years Deron Williams looked like a sure hall of famer.

Deron with another example of why youth is wasted on the young….

Kinda admits he was childish on the jazz but knows better now:

.“Our relationship was definitely strained at the end,” admitted the Jazz star. “I think I held onto that rookie year, not starting — how he didn’t really play me, and would play me a couple of minutes here. I think I took that personally for a while when I was younger and kind of held that grudge. So, I think that affected me a little bit.”

“I was definitely a little s*** at times — a little prima donna. I also, I knew how coach Sloan was, and I think I kind of would poke the bear just to see his reactions, too. It was kind of like a little back and forth thing; s*** that I definitely wouldn’t do now, knowing what I know now. But I always respected coach Sloan; I learned a lot from him. My best years were definitely in Utah. I got a lot of love and respect for him as a coach and as a person.”

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

We all learn as we age so I’m not like calling him out. Just saying….

You can **** up so much just being young and dumb.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Sloan is a GOAT coach. He's probably largely responsible for Stockton as well.

On jerry sloan.

Born and raised in Gobbler's Knob, Illinois, 15 miles (24 km) south of McLeansboro, Illinois,[4] Sloan was the youngest of 10 children and was raised by a single mother after his father died when Jerry was 4 years old. He would wake up at 4:30 a.m. to do farm chores and then walk almost two miles to get to school in time for 7 a.m. basketball practice. Sloan graduated an all-state player from McLeansboro High School in 1960.[5]
    Imagine beefing with that guy.

Local High School Star

I never saw Deron Williams as the kind of guy you could rely upon as your best player to take your team all the way, even though he did a pretty good job with the Jazz. Unless you are a truly special point guard player, like Chris Paul, a PG is just not meant to be that guy. Yes, Deron usually fared well against Paul in their match ups, but Deron was never the defender that Paul was and Paul was always much better at running an offense. Deron could get you open looks and was a great passer but Paul was just an incredible floor general. There are few in the game who are better at executing plays than him.

But the upside with a guy like Williams was that he didn't need to have the ball in his hands to be effective. He was a good spot up shooter and knew how to play off the ball. He would've been the perfect second option but a guy like Boozer isn't meant to be the first option in that scenario, which he was in those first few years of Deron's career.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintzFury13 View Post
    I never saw Deron Williams as the kind of guy you could rely upon as your best player to take your team all the way, even though he did a pretty good job with the Jazz. Unless you are a truly special point guard player, like Chris Paul, a PG is just not meant to be that guy. Yes, Deron usually fared well against Paul in their match ups, but Deron was never the defender that Paul was and Paul was always much better at running an offense. Deron could get you open looks and was a great passer but Paul was just an incredible floor general. There are few in the game who are better at executing plays than him.

But the upside with a guy like Williams was that he didn't need to have the ball in his hands to be effective. He was a good spot up shooter and knew how to play off the ball. He would've been the perfect second option but a guy like Boozer isn't meant to be the first option in that scenario, which he was in those first few years of Deron's career.

Proof you never watched Deron Williams.

He literally was only effective with his high dribble crossover between the legs PnR style.

Dwill was the furthest thing from being good as an off ball player.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Proof you never watched Deron Williams.

He literally was only effective with his high dribble crossover between the legs PnR style.

Dwill was the furthest thing from being good as an off ball player.
    dumbass. A good chunk of his points came from playing off the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtcSThEhAPw

Don't waste my time. Talking to you is the equivalent of talking to a snail.

Prime D-Will was a high dribble crossover player. Everybody whoever saw him knows this.

You may as well tell us Shaq was a 3pt shooter or Reggie Miller was a post player.

back in the day D-will was my favorite PG over everyone.
    However there was most definitely a riff between him and Sloan , and he booked out of there for Jersy.
    IMO it was the start of D-Will's down spilling career... ankle injury , and then lost a step... and then done.
    Utah , should of bent over backwards to retain him , and mend fences between him and Sloan.
    Never - expected him from Illinois to come out and be a PG as a pro , with handles and team control .

i loved dwill, but his immaturity feud with sloan destroyed his career.
    he was a great player, but he was also a system player.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Prime D-Will was a high dribble crossover player. Everybody whoever saw him knows this.

You may as well tell us Shaq was a 3pt shooter or Reggie Miller was a post player.
    I never said he wasn't. But he knew how to play off the ball and did it frequently.

Stop pretending you know the sport of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Yeah don't know what happened with him. Maybe he just got paid and lost the desire.

I'll never forget that draft. I was living in Atlanta and the Hawks had the 2nd pick in the draft. They desperately needed a pg. With CP3 and Deron available they took Marvin Williams.
    Damn ouch

College superstar

Just saw this meme and it made me think of this thread.