Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do you have a completely different passwords?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Check how secure that password is.

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

I have variants of the same letter, number, symbol password based on the website or service I'm using.
    I use a password manager..

So I inserted my master password in that site.. My result:

It would take a computer about
    19 SEPTILLION YEARS
    to crack your password

I have no idea how big of a number that is, but I know it is MUUUUUUUUCH longer than the age of the universe

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

300 microseconds for my original from 2000 and 4 weeks on my usual now.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Nah, but I was just pointing it out. Probably shows more about how my cynical mind works than anything else. But I would be careful. PW strength is important in this day n age, of course it doesn't matter when someone lets their whole database be lifted haha like what happened to me.
    You're not being cynical. You're actually right...

Almost no website or service of note stores your password without some form of encryption and hashing and salting. When those databases are lifted, hackers still have quite a bit of work to do in figuring out what passwords stored after they've been hashed with an algorithm correspond to regular plain text passwords. However, the simpler your password, the easier and more likely it will be for hackers to happen upon the password for your account using brute force attacks, lookup tables, reverse lookup tables, and rainbow tables.

It's always in your best interest to create a convention unique to you, but not easily identifiable to you. You're a Celtics fan... Something like BC#lts2008-InHoops is going to take awhile for a hacker to get even if the database is compromised.

^ Yea it wasn't a site that did much to protect unfort. Doesn't matter anyway. I blame myself for using one of my quality pws.

Ya live ya learn. I take mistakes super hard; even if it's due to someone else's incompetence I put it out there. Just warning Kblaze posting about how you only have two simple pws on a forum that gets traffic is a bad look. To me, who is paranoid.

-Smak

phishing is the bigger threat, especially if you use the same PW everywhere. All the major websites has good protection against brute forcing and you can setup two way factor authentication with your phone #. Even a crappy website like ish has some kind of protection.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    phishing is the bigger threat, especially if you use the same PW everywhere. All the major websites has good protection against brute forcing and you can setup two way factor authentication with your phone #. Even a crappy website like ish has some kind of protection.
    Shit it's be 34001 years before I ever got phished. We were doing that stuff on AOL when we were 15.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Shit it's be 34001 years before I ever got phished. We were doing that stuff on AOL when we were 15.

-Smak
    It's still the most simple trick to get a pw, make a website that looks like the real one.

That's how the icloud celeb leaks happened.

"What Collins did to gain access to at least 50 iCloud accounts and 72 Gmail accounts between November 2012 and September 2014 was rather simple. He sent his victims emails that looked like they originated from Apple or Google, fooling them into handing their credentials over."

Apple started two factor authentication after that.

It's still the most simple trick to get a pw, make a website that looks like the real one.

"What Collins did to gain access to at least 50 iCloud accounts and 72 Gmail accounts between November 2012 and September 2014 was rather simple. He sent his victims emails that looked like they originated from Apple or Google, fooling them into handing their credentials over."

yup

it's how everyone still gets their accts wacked on DNM's and entire cyrpto balance washed

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    yup

it's how everyone still gets their accts wacked on DNM's and entire cyrpto balance washed
    Only dumbasses keep their crypto on an exchange or a third party site.

Get a hardware wallet. Your operating system can be absolutely packed to the brim with viruses, so long as you validate the address you're sending to, there's nothing that a hacker can do to steal your crypto from a hardware wallet. The only exception to this would be if they're actively controlling your mouse and keyboard remotely, which is unlikely... and you would see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    Only dumbasses keep their crypto on an exchange or a third party site.

Get a hardware wallet. Your operating system can be absolutely packed to the brim with viruses, so long as you validate the receiving address you're sending to, there's nothing that a hacker can do to steal your crypto from a hardware wallet.

Vendors that trade on there, no they all keep lump sums on there specifically due to transanction fees and dozens of orders/trading daily is counter productive with ripping it back and forth between wallets

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    Vendors that trade on there, no they all keep lump sums on there specifically due to transanction fees and dozens of orders/trading daily is counter productive with ripping it back and forth between wallets
    I hear what you're saying, but... not your keys, not your Bitcoin. Pretty simple.

Also, some of the hardware wallet manufacturers/developers are working on bringing the lighting network to those hardware wallets somehow... which will essentially mean there's really no longer an excuse to not keep hold of your own coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    I hear what you're saying, but... not your keys, not your Bitcoin. Pretty simple.
    That's the risk you play gambling on the dark web, anyone that holds weight can get touched

No I feel ya. It just is something we dudes who grew up in the net age should be immune to. If people are getting phished, that's on them. That's why I didn't feel that bad for Podesta haha.

You don't have to be a cpu genius to be wary of stuff like that. If it's suspect, you can google it. If it's suspect and you can't find anything about it online, then you can call the company directly and ask them.

People just don't pay attention. Or they are senile.

-Smak

Yup... phishing and other attacks via fraudulent e-mail links are responsible for many of the compromises we see now. People have to be very wary of which what they click on.