Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do you have a completely different passwords?

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    No I feel ya. It just is something we dudes who grew up in the net age should be immune to. If people are getting phished, that's on them. That's why I didn't feel that bad for Podesta haha.

You don't have to be a cpu genius to be wary of stuff like that. If it's suspect, you can google it. If it's suspect and you can't find anything about it online, then you can call the company directly and ask them.

People just don't pay attention. Or they are senile.

-Smak
    I have sympathy for people who get fooled in phishing attacks.

You have a google account and you access your e-mail via one of many apps on your phone. You receive an e-mail that is purportedly from Google noting that there has been suspicious activity on your account from someone outside of the country. The e-mail gives you the option of clicking on two links... one noting that the activity was indeed you, and the other noting that it was not you.

When you click on the link indicating that the activity was not you, the link takes you to what looks like a google page that gives you the option of changing your password to make sure your account remains secure, first putting in your old password. You "change" your password and whoever is behind the ruse now has your username and password. That is something a significant number of people will fall for... especially older individuals who are not technologically savvy or read up on the techniques often used to hack accounts.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Does OP as a moderator know our passwords?

If so, his question is legit concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    Does OP as a moderator know our passwords?

If so, his question is legit concerning.
    No.

He doesn’t even have your IP... only the admin(s) does(do)... and even they don’t have your password.

This board is old but the software isn’t storing unencrypted passwords lol.

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Here's another password strength analyzer, along with a better description of what makes a strong password.

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

My password strategy is pretty simple. For most websites, I use the same password. It's a non-dictionary word and a single digit. It wouldn't be that difficult for someone to hack, but I don't care because I only use it on websites where I don't care if my account is compromised. I need to create an account on a website in order to download a mod for a game I'm playing. I need to create an account on a recipe website to save that pesto recipe for later retrieval. If those accounts are hacked, I don't care.

The accounts I do care about, where I have stored banking information or other stuff I don't want compromised, are more complicated. I use song lyrics, padded with a number generated by certain characteristics of the password itself. I keep a text file with hints for each password that trigger an "Oh yeah, I remember now" from me, but wouldn't mean anything to anyone else.

Example: For Amazon.com my password hint might be "current raisins". Could mean anything to other people, but to me it reminds me immediately of the Electric Prunes, a psychedelic rock band from the 60's. That leads me to their biggest hit "Too Much to Dream", and a certain lyric from that song that I particularly like... "You were gone, gone, gone." There's my password: "YouwereGone,Gone,Gone4". The 4 is the number of capital letters in the password, which just an example, not the number generator I actually use.

The trick is that the password hint leads my mind down a very specific path that other people won't get.

Hint: Asimov. (Famous writer. So my password is related to one of his books? Nope!)

My mind goes like this:

As a mauve

Mauve is a shade of purple

Purple = Prince

Little Red Corvette

"BabyYou'reMuchtooFast4"

Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma
    Here's another password strength analyzer, along with a better description of what makes a strong password.

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

My password strategy is pretty simple. For most websites, I use the same password. It's a non-dictionary word and a single digit. It wouldn't be that difficult for someone to hack, but I don't care because I only use it on websites where I don't care if my account is compromised. I need to create an account on a website in order to download a mod for a game I'm playing. I need to create an account on a recipe website to save that pesto recipe for later retrieval. If those accounts are hacked, I don't care.

The accounts I do care about, where I have stored banking information or other stuff I don't want compromised, are more complicated. I use song lyrics, padded with a number generated by certain characteristics of the password itself. I keep a text file with hints for each password that trigger an "Oh yeah, I remember now" from me, but wouldn't mean anything to anyone else.

Example: For Amazon.com my password hint might be "current raisins". Could mean anything to other people, but to me it reminds me immediately of the Electric Prunes, a psychedelic rock band from the 60's. That leads me to their biggest hit "Too Much to Dream", and a certain lyric from that song that I particularly like... "You were gone, gone, gone." There's my password: "YouwereGone,Gone,Gone4". The 4 is the number of capital letters in the password, which just an example, not the number generator I actually use.

The trick is that the password hint leads my mind down a very specific path that other people won't get.

Hint: Asimov. (Famous writer. So my password is related to one of his books? Nope!)

My mind goes like this:

As a mauve

Mauve is a shade of purple

Purple = Prince

Little Red Corvette

"BabyYou'reMuchtooFast4"
    That

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

[QUOTE=Shogon]That