Page 61 of 167 FirstFirst ... 11515859606162636471111161 ... LastLast

Thread: NPR: Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry into Trump

Default Re: NPR: Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry into Trump

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Ok, thanks Maxfly...

Trump White House should really be alarmed that right now a majority of Americans want Trump out of office And we barely started.

MAGA
    Senate Republicans were supposed to meet yesterday to discuss talking points/strategy. If the poll numbers keep increasing I wonder if it can sway enough of them to vote for removal.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    That's obviously the reason, but is it good "optics" for the Dems to be doing this behind closed doors?
    I don't think there are really any optics to be concerned about. Republicans haven't done a good job of making an issue of the fact that these interviews have been behind closed doors, and people don't really seem to care. The administration has also neutered their argument on transparency by trying to block testimony and defying subpoenas both now and in the past. Not a lot of people are bound to take them seriously when they complain about a lack of transparency from these committees.

The general expectation seems to be that once evidence has been gathered, it will be publicly presented. We're pretty sure to get the transcripts of the witness testimonies, minus redacted material, as well as information from any documents that are collected. A lot of administration officials and staffers seem very eager to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Trump White House should really be alarmed that right now a majority of Americans want Trump out of office And we barely started.
    I'm sure there's a bit of consternation, but I get the sense that they are less concerned about the poll numbers right now than they are the fact that a lot of administration officials and people in government are eager to talk about what happened with Ukraine.They're probably not sure who knows what and who is going to testify to what.

The administration likely feels that though the current polling numbers aren't great, that Republican Senators will stick with Trump anyway. If they can get Republicans Senators to stay home, they'll attempt to spin an acquittal in the Senate as an exoneration and characterize the whole controversy as a witch hunt waged by corrupt Democrats who, themselves, need to be investigated. But if more and more officials come forward, Republican Senators may start to question whether defending Trump is worth it and their loyalties could be tested.

That said, swing state Republicans should pay special attention to the impeachment poll numbers in their states as well as their polling numbers.

Hey Max, you got any good West Indian recipes you can contribute to the Bistro Rufus thread?

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Hey Max, you got any good West Indian recipes you can contribute to the Bistro Rufus thread?
    Have you ever had sorrel or ginger beer?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Have you ever had sorrel or ginger beer?

Ginger beer yes, sorrel no.

NBA rookie of the year SomeBlackDude's Avatar

Breaking News: Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, said the U.S. froze aid partly to pressure Ukraine to investigate Democrats. He undercut President Trump's denials of a quid pro quo.
    [QUOTE]WH Chief of Staff Mulvaney says Ukraine aid was tied to Trump's desire for investigation. When reporter noted his explanation sounds like a quid-pro-quo, Mulvaney said:

[QUOTE=SomeBlackDude][QUOTE]WH Chief of Staff Mulvaney says Ukraine aid was tied to Trump's desire for investigation. When reporter noted his explanation sounds like a quid-pro-quo, Mulvaney said:

Decent college freshman Facepalm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
    where are we moving the goal posts to next, folks?

Trump's team isn't happy.

Donald: "I barely knew Mulvaney. I may have seen him once or twice in the West Wing"

these dudes.

"If the White House was withholding aid in regards to the cooperation with any investigation at the Department of Justice, that is news to us," said a Senior DOJ Official.
    not like the cia told them in a criminal referral or anything.

CIA's top lawyer made 'criminal referral' on complaint about Trump Ukraine call

The move by the CIA's general counsel, Trump appointee Courtney Simmons Elwood, meant she and other senior officials had concluded a potential crime had been committed, raising more questions about why the Justice Department later declined to open an investigation.

breaking news. the deadline for him to answer crooked nancy's subpoena is tomorrow.

BREAKING: Energy Sec. Rick Perry informed Pres. Trump that he plans to resign
    wonder snitch powers- activate.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
    these dudes.
    "If the White House was withholding aid in regards to the cooperation with any investigation at the Department of Justice, that is news to us," said a Senior DOJ Official.
    That's an interesting statement. It initially sounds like a denial, but when you read a little more closely, realizing that there was actually no investigation at the Department of Justice into Ukrainian matters, it sounds like this official is acknowledging that none of this, including whether aid was withheld, had anything to do with the DOJ. The administration has made attempts to rope Barr and the DOJ into this mess, but Barr has been pretty adamant that neither he nor the DOJ were involved.

That's an interesting statement. It initially sounds like a denial, but when you read a little more closely, realizing that there was actually no investigation at the Department of Justice into Ukrainian matters, it sounds like this official is acknowledging that none of this, including whether aid was withheld, had anything to do with the DOJ. The administration has made attempts to rope Barr and the DOJ into this mess, but Barr has been pretty adamant that neither he nor the DOJ were involved.
    aye, who does that remind you of?

Quote Originally Posted by Late September
    When reached for comment, a State Department spokesperson said, "Mr. Giuliani is a private citizen and acts in a personal capacity as a lawyer for President Trump. He does not speak on behalf of the U.S. Government."
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday
    Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland intends to testify Trump told him in the Oval that Ukraine requests had to go through Giuliani & that Rudy wanted a written statement promising Biden probe. Giuliani says Sondland "was in charge."
    people already forgot- the transcript has the emperor saying both rudy and crooked barr were the point men on this scheme. it wasn't ambiguous either.

The President: Good. Well, thank you very much and I appreciate that. I will tell Rudy and Attorney General Barr to call.

The President: Well, she's going to go through some things. I will have Mr. Giuliani give you a call and I am also going to have Attorney General Barr call and we will get to the bottom of it.

The President: I would like you to do us a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it. I would like you to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say Crowdstrike... I guess you have one of your wealthy people... The server, they say Ukraine has it. There are a lot of things that went on, the whole situation. I think you're surrounding yourself with some of the same people. I would like to have the Attorney General call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it.

The President: Good because I heard you had a prosecutor who was very good and he was shut down and that's really unfair. A lot of people are talking about that, the way they shut your very good prosecutor down and you had some very bad people involved. Mr. Giuliani is a highly respected man. He was the mayor of New York City, a great mayor, and I would like him to call you. I will ask him to call you along with the Attorney General. Rudy very much knows what's happening and he is a very capable guy. If you could speak to him that would be great... The other thing, There's a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great.
    if i was directly implicated in a criminal scheme by the dude running said scheme, i most likely wouldn't investigate it either.

So....

Not only did they just cut an embarrassing cease fire deal but Trump has awarded his own business the summit next year?

This administration is embarrassing. How does anyone even joke about supporting it?

Lil Donny administration is trying to find a scapegoat clearly, but I must admit that neither Barr nor Rudy have their hands clean. I hope they all go down to jail together with neighborning cells

Decent college freshman Facepalm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Lil Donny administration is trying to find a scapegoat clearly, but I must admit that neither Barr nor Rudy have their hands clean. I hope they all go down to jail together with neighborning cells
    Just like old times