Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Question is College the biggest scam in the states?

they are constantly telling the youth you have to go to college to have a career. This has been going on the past 20 years. Thoughts?

Default Re: is College the biggest scam in the states?

If i'm having surgery done on my tooth or on my liver I sure as hell hope the dentest/surgeon went through a highly strict collegiate program prior

College to be a camp counselour or pharm technician though? Nah

2 year Associates degree even at a community college is doable for many decent careers

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    If i'm having surgery done on my tooth or on my liver I sure as hell hope the dentest/surgeon went through a highly strict collegiate program prior

College to be a camp counselour or pharm technician though? Nah

2 year Associates degree even at a community college is doable for many decent careers
    Well yeah there are no ways around that with medical/engineering/law careers. They have to go to school. But for people going to school strictly to make more money without a passion dream field there are much better alternatives than starting a career in 10's of thousands of dollars in debt

Quote Originally Posted by Vino24
    Well yeah there are no ways around that with medical/engineering/law careers. They have to go to school. But for people going to school strictly to make more money without a passion dream field there are much better alternatives than starting a career in 10's of thousands of dollars in debt
    The problem even with a bachelors though is many want 4-5* jobs want mandatory experience to get hired, which means either interning part time throughout college or shacking back at home with mom/pops even after college until you build resume.

High schools don't really prepare you for college. Hell they don't even prepare you for SAT/ACT's

US education is just wack.

It's all fake it until you make it

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Only Trump's poorly educated base thinks college is a scam.

Getting a college education isn't a scam it's the cost that is the scam. I'm in engineering school and just paid $2700 cash for 10 credits.

Ridiculous. The problem is that students get grants and loans so school just raised prices. It sucks. I wish the government would step in an regulate prices. School is outrageously priced. I'd rather just get the books and teach myself. I shouldn't have to attend useless lectures.

I learned Calculus I and II on youtube lol. Almost any subject can be leared on youtube and with the right pdfs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Getting a college education isn't a scam it's the cost that is the scam. I'm in engineering school and just paid $2700 cash for 10 credits.

Ridiculous. The problem is that students get grants and loans so school just raised prices. It sucks. I wish the government would step in an regulate prices. School is outrageously priced. I'd rather just get the books and teach myself. I shouldn't have to attend useless lectures.

I learned Calculus I and II on youtube lol. Almost any subject can be leared on youtube and with the right pdfs.
    Where are the students getting the grants and loans for school from the first place? Yet you want the government to regulate prices?

College isn't a scam for engineering but in general, college is absolutely a scam.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

College is an asset if you're looking at a particular skillet to master.
    Ultimately networking gets you farther. Being an entrepreneur who's got a large networking system and a savy to communicate requires little to no college and no student loan debt to set them back.

I have done everything I've done in business without going to a prestigious university. And I'm more successful than anyone I know who has. No student debt. Gained experience. Learned business. Ultimately ran my own.

Realtors, brokers, business owners....all are networking over education. Only education required is certifications that can be done in days for a few hundred dollars.

That past 20 years? How old are you? 18. It's a legit question, not making fun.

Life goes back beyond 20 years ago. The youth have always been told that they should go to college. It's not like doctors and dentist all had high school diplomas, and then 20 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Where are the students getting the grants and loans for school from the first place? Yet you want the government to regulate prices?

College isn't a scam for engineering but in general, college is absolutely a scam.
    Yes, the government is giving out the money. They should probably stop doing that or have strings attached to the money. Having an educated population is important. It isn't a great thing when all that interest is going to banks.

Federal Pell Grants helped me a lot. Really. But school is just insanely overpriced for what these school actually provide. The lecture method is so outdated. Online lectures are superior because you just find the best possible one and can replay it 100 times. Why do I need some unethusiastic professor putting me to sleep for 4 hours a week?

By the way. Engineering education can be a bit of scam. All my texts I found in free PDF but the Portland State bookstore literally wants 200 for each text. Even the professors are telling students just fine any book close to the new edition and they will post the homework problems from their copy.

On average, people who graduate with a bachelors degree make more than those who don’t

So no, it’s not a scam. Schools push college degrees because they do get you a better job. The scam is these liberal arts schools having these expensive ass programs like drama or arts that do not guarantee you a good paying job

Certain colleges are most definitely scams.

Stop choosing majors like marine biology or liberal arts and then you’ll actually find a job. Not good at math, physics, chemistry, or programming languages?

Better learn to get good because that’s where the respect is at.

The amount of people I talk to who are 40+ thousand in debt while they work at a grocery store is waaaayy too high.

Then the college has the balls to call you and ask for donations.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    Stop choosing majors like marine biology or liberal arts and then you’ll actually find a job. Not good at math, physics, chemistry, or programming languages?

Better learn to get good because that’s where the respect is at.
    Pretty much this

I'd add marketing/advertising/sales to the list though. Companies with great technology but poor marketing still fail, whereas companies with great marketing and average technology succeed