Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2532333435
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2019-20 season - Been waiting two decades for this one!

An NBA source said about four teams reached out about Dotson at the trade deadline. Orlando, Golden State, the Nets, Detroit and Utah have shown interest in Dotson in the past.
    – via Marc Berman @ New York Post

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...enix-suns-news

Then there’s Ricky Rubio, whom many Utah fans lament losing in favor of Mike Conley this season.

https://saltcityhoops.com/another-di...azzs-identity/

Last season, Jazz Nation would have been beyond ecstatic to have a 36-20 record at the 56-game mark. But this season, the collective feeling is disappointment. Partially, the expectations have probably been set at an unattainable level. And the disappointment should be tempered a little. The Jazz aren’t nearly as bad as they seem right now, but are also not nearly as good as fans believed them to be. Who are they really?

A talented offensive team, a mediocre defensive team in need of a starting PF and more veteran depth and a new coach

If you choose portions of nearly any game this season, you could say they have the potential of being a top 3 team in the league. The trouble is they can’t string together multiple quarters, let alone single quarters, of consistent high-octane play. There’s energy, intensity, focus, rhythm. And there’s really a lot of nuance to what makes this happen. Rotations and lineups are a factor. But maybe this has been mitigated somewhat through Quin’s adjustments throughout the season as well as the roster tweaks pulled off by the front office (yes, this means you Jordan Clarkson).

haven't been a lot of adjustments. Keep the same guys doing the same thing. Why not?

https://saltcityhoops.com/salt-city-...off-race-more/

They added Emmanuel Mudiay, hardly a defensive stopper, at backup point guard. Mudiay has a big body and has gotten better defensively since joining the Jazz, but still winds up in opposing guards’ rear view mirrors way too often. They promoted Georges Niang and Tony Bradley up the depth chart, both minus defenders overall. The additions of non-paint protecting big men Jeff Green (later waived) and Ed Davis (out of the rotation) didn’t pan out.

Mudiay isn't in the rotation and Niang barely is

And yet, for all the Jazz’s troubles, they still reside just inside the top 10 for both offensive (9th) and defensive (10th) efficiency. The L.A. teams are the only other Western Conference teams in the top 10 in both, along with the Eastern elite of Milwaukee, Toronto and Boston. They also own the league’s eighth best Net Rating at +3.8.

that shows you how little D is being played anymore because the Jazz are awful at that end

It might be time for Utah’s fans to move on from the rancor around Hayward. The team has smartly retooled since he left, currently has a pair of charismatic All-Stars, and has used the flexibility of not having Hayward on their books to go after the likes of Conley and Bogdanovic. Of course, being a fan is an emotional experience, and some will still harbor some resentment over Hayward opting off of a rising team with a unique identity. There will be some boos. That’s fine. But sooner or later, the still-jilted few will realize the Jazz are in great shape without their former All-Star and the sharp feelings will fade.

You're not too familiar with Jazz fans if you think they will stop booing Hayward or Kanter. I get to boo Ricky tonite at the game though!

One thing’s for sure: you can’t write the modern history of the Utah Jazz without including the words Hayward and Rubio.

sad but true. Ricky the latest in mind boggling Jazz moves over the decades

Eric Walden: Donovan Mitchell: “We talk the talk, we gotta walk the walk. We do it in spurts, and that’s what’s frustrating. We’re there, and then I don’t know what happens. … It’s all defense. It doesn’t matter how many points you score; we can’t guard anybody.” pic.twitter.com/RvRMXXpf51
    – via Twitter tribjazz

Eric Walden: Joe Ingles, on if the Jazz have lost their identity: “Right now we’re not the exact same team who we’ve been for a lot of this year. … I thought we started off reasonably well tonight and kinda slowly trickled down to where we didn’t want to be.” pic.twitter.com/72bYq8xYwO
    – via Twitter tribjazz

StatMuse: The last 4 weeks have been rough for the Jazz. 4-8 record -58 point differential 25th in defense Only the Pistons and Wolves have more losses in that span. pic.twitter.com/W9Yixb4Jiq
    – via Twitter statmuse

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2...s-analysis-by/

Juwan Morgan was the hardest one to find a mistake for, because he played five minutes and the Suns baskets during that stretch weren’t really his fault. On this one, you can argue that he should have stopped the cutter after Royce O’Neale closed out recklessly, I suppose.
    Maybe he should play more?

There’s nothing else to say, now it’s just about going out there and doing it. Otherwise we’ll be home in May.

make that April

We won 25 games my first year, so I’ve been through worse than that. Every time you have a rough time, you get together and go past that. We had some rough times earlier this year, too, and I think it brought us closer together as a team. Like I said, we have to take some time to watch film, listen to the coaches, listen to each other and see what we can do better.

they were tanking your first year though

One of Quin Snyder’s key jobs is to motivate his players, and clearly that hasn’t been effective recently. So I suppose there’s criticism there. Tonight, he looked like a man that had tried everything, and couldn’t believe that nothing had worked. He seems like he’s shocked this is happening — but we are too.

He's hardly tried everything. Does the same thing over and over

And I think, if this continues, significant blame has to be assigned at the feet of Dennis Lindsey, Justin Zanik, and the front office. They gave up two first round picks, Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, and Grayson Allen for a player that hasn’t contributed much and realistically looks to be on the downside of his career. That’s a lot of chips given up for not much return.

Conley is far from their biggest problem. Signing Ed Davis instead of a starting PF is. Having 6 rookies and little depth on a team that you say is playing for a title is. Conley at least made sense on paper

Bojan Bogdanovic has worked out well, and Emmanuel Mudiay’s been fine, but Jeff Green and Ed Davis were horror-show fits from day one. Ideally, the front office should have been able to see that coming, that they were square pegs in round holes. In their defense: I didn’t see it coming, and neither did most Jazz fans. But part of that job is avoiding landmines, and they haven’t avoided these ones.

You're talking about the guys that thought Rubio was a good idea!

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...icky-rubio-nba

“I know their game. I played with them for a long time, so I know their game — the same way they know mine,” Rubio said.

and yet they were fouling you on 3 point shots!