Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2835363738

Thread: 2019-20 season - Been waiting two decades for this one!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2019-20 season - Been waiting two decades for this one!

Friday, The Athleticís Shams Charania reported that the league sent a memo to teams to begin preparation to play in arenas without fans and only with essential personnel present. This was the latest, most drastic step. They have already sent instructions about which quotidian precautions to take, and players have tried to follow suit and follow along. Each, though, has their thoughts on how cautious they should be. Emmanuel Mudiay, a Jazz guard, has stopped shaking hands. Mike Conley walked through Utahís locker in New York City Wednesday elbow bumping a teammate. Elfrid Payton is trying to fist pound more and wash his hands frequently.
    Ė via Mike Vorkunov @ The Athletic

The NBA is a touchy sport. Teammates share elaborate handshakes. Players dap and fist bump and sometimes trade jerseys. They give fans autographs using their markers. Hugs are a constant. Itís not unusual for players to enter and leave the court through a tunnel draped by fans with their arms extended, all looking for some kind of physical and personal contact. ďI always hated doing that just because people are nasty, man. You know what I mean?Ē the Jazzís Ed Davis said, stretching out his hands. ďYou donít know who washes their hands, the type of nasty só people doing.Ē

Davis is informed but not overly worried. ďI think itís just more everybody is in panic mode,Ē he said. ďThe flu is way worse than this new virus. It is what it is. Itís not really going to get serious until somebody in the NBA catches it. Thatís when itís going to be a problem. Thatís when itís going to alert móóóĖ or if it started doing what theyíre doing overseas with no fans at the games and stuff like that. I guess in things like this it doesnít really get serious until it hits home or something like that. So it is what it is. I canít live my life stressing over a virus. Itís going to be what itís going to be.Ē

Eric Walden: Joe Ingles, upon hearing some sniffles: ďAre you blowing your nose? If youíve got this, Iím out of here. If someone coughs, Iím out of here, just so you know.Ē And on the points-off-turnovers issues: ďWe missed a lot of shots we have made for a lot of the year.Ē pic.twitter.com/olhdGADxx7

-Some terrible mental defensive lapses on the perimeter in this game. At the end of the first, I think, we werenít paying attention to the two-for-one and gave up a three, which happened again in the second quarter. When you figure in a Kyle Lowry bomb at the end of the shot clock in the fourth, those nine points are the game. Guys need to pay attention to clock and situation. Every team shoots those threes with any airspace.
    -There was a real hesitation to attack the length and athleticism of the Raptors. Multiple times in transition we didnít even attempt the shot, like when Conley got the steal and had Siakam behind him, or when Jordan Clarkson attacked a weak Susie closeout from a four-foul Siakam and then botched the layup with Pascal semi-closing space behind him, or when Bogie went for some weak sauce, two-footed layup for no reason and wanted the refs to bail him out with a foul on a two-on-one fast break. Plus, you figure some bad luck with finishing in the paint from several Jazz players and we left at least 12-14 points at the rim tonight.
    Even worse was them going back to the floaters that killed them to start the year

-Great defensive and offensive games from Joe and Royce. These two are the key to us winning a playoff series because of their defense.
    -A lot of missed open threes that could have swung this game.
    -Donovan was straight MIA for this one. He seemed to be feasting when ASB ended and the rest of the team was still in the Caribbean or Mexico. Now heís deferring, not being aggressive, and putting up some stinkers. When heís not really attacking the rim hard, heís taking away some of our Rudy advantage. Teams donít want to come help off of Rudy because it leaves the rim open to offensive rebounds and they donít want to send the secondary wave of help from the corners either. When heís deferring, heís helping out the defense.
    -Bogie and Clarkson with some MIA games as well.
    Overall, this was a great game defensively from the Jazz. Iím not worried about the offense. Had we been aggressive in some spots, I think we win this game. You sky-falling people need to check yourself. A week ago it was the defense you were worried about. Itís picked up significantly and looks to be really encouraging, actually. The offense put up a stinker which is an outlier for this team, and Toronto is really good.

Posted by Karl Stalone 32 on Mar 10, 2020 | 3:24 AM
    Yep if they play D like that they are a tough out

Why I was frustrated when twice Q just didnít roll with the bench longer in both halves when they were playing well. Letís use our depth at altitude against a team on a b2b.
    Iím not an advocate of load management as practiced by Kawhi but when there are clear examples where it can be done in game just based on production and energy Q should take advantage. He doesnít have to worry about chemistry or egos, etc as players clearly know their roles.

Posted by SKMike on Mar 10, 2020 | 4:19 AM
    the common theme seems to Quin for some reason. I thought he was one of the best?

No secret that I'm not a Rudy fan

I think that Rudy is not a great piece for the Jazz.
    If the Jazz want to be better, they need a better foundational guy.
    As it is the Jazz try to force the team to play around him, heís not skilled enough in ALL areas to do that.
    So the Jazz will keep doing the same thing in the same ways, and get confused when they get the same mediocre results

Posted by AdMan59 on Mar 10, 2020 | 5:14 AM
    what piece are they getting? He's the only reason they aren't one of the worst teams in the league!

The Jazz would be better without Rudy, addition by subtraction.

Posted by AdMan59 on Mar 10, 2020 | 6:17 AM
    all the evidence points to them being horrible without for 5 plus years
    Also Quinn Snyder needs to take some blame here. If Mitchell is not playing defense and not playing well overall, its okay to sit him at the end. Sloan would have. We have a lot of weapons and a lot of shooters and sometimes if someone if playing like this, just sit him down. IT builds a lot more "team respect and unity". The thing I loved about Sloan (and my coach in Israel Ė Rami Hadar) was that if your were not playing defense, you were sitting quickly. The other thing I dont like about Mitchell is at the beginning of games it looks like he is just half assing it or trying to save energy. Man these possessions are important. Start hard, Start intense, or else come off the bench.

Posted by Erin Green on Mar 10, 2020 | 12:11 AM
    but get rid of Rudy and let Mitchell carry them!

The defense was really good tonight against the five-out lineup. What really hurt the Jazz defensively was Rudy being pulled away from the rim all night long. I donít understand why we run some zone with Tony Bradley against some no-name five who probably canít shoot from three, but we donít do it with Gobert against a legit stretch five so we can keep him close to the paint. For real, Iím baffled.
    nothing baffling just Quin

https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/3/9/211...020-game-recap

Tony Bradley has really come into his own the past few games. His timing and defensive reads have been improving dramatically. And yet he still gets one of the worst whistles Iíve ever seen. Apparently someone had to pick up that slack with Dante Exum now in Cleveland. Utah getting positive bench minutes has been a huge difference maker. I think Quin finally found a bench rotation that works. If only the starters wouldnít come back and let the lead slip away.

Bojan shouldn't have been in the game at the end. He had a bad night and brings little if he's not scoring. They have too many other options for him to be playing on an off night.

There are only 2 players in the entire NBA that have at least as high a USG% as Donovan Mitchell and at least as low an AST%: Dion Waiters and Joel Embiid. Donovan Mitchell is a special offensive talent. He can take over games and score in bunches. I love when he gets in that mode because heís unstoppable. But Iíd also love him to realize that sometimes the best shot is the one that your teammate took because your drive into the lane got them open. Facilitate the ball a little more rather than taking really difficult floaters and contested runners. This team is lethal from 3. Use that.

Put the ball in Conley or Ingles hands and it won't be a problem

I think the Jazz have 7-8 really good players, lack size and athleticism.
    The team as a whole lack mental toughness and focus.
    Also their style/identity doesnít mach their talent level.
    Your also correct that the Jazz donít have a top 10 player. Neither do the Raptors but they have the other things needed to contend.
    Jazz are and will be mediocre as they keep doing the same things, in the same ways.

Posted by AdMan59 on Mar 10, 2020 | 5:07 AM
    Might be as athletic of a Jazz team as they've ever had. They have a top player. Get him the ball! Snyder will keep doing the same things. He isn't going anywhere either!

Maybe Rudy has been sick lately? This could give Tony a chance to show he can be the man like many seem to think now

Conley struggled out of the gate. He shot 28.6% from three in October. He shot 37.4% from the floor in November. He missed floaters, a bread-and-butter shot. He wasnít efficient in pick-and-rolls. His assist-to-turnover ratio stunk. His defense wasnít very good. In early December, he strained a hamstring. Without him, the Jazz improved. Conley doesnít hide from questions about his problems. Heíll just tell you he doesnít have all the answers. Sitting at his locker in Boston last week, Conley admitted the early adjustments were rough. He played 12 seasons in Memphis. He played mostly one style. Like everyone else, he heard how he was supposed to be the player to push Utah further into the postseason. Like everyone else, he believed it.
    Ė via Sports Illustrated

ďWhen I came into this thing, I was like, Ďman, weíve got a lot talent.íĒ Conley told SI.com. ďI got a lot of players here. I donít know if Iím going to do the same things Iím going to be able to do. We have five, six guys that can start, three or four of them that can average 20 points a game. I donít even know when Iím going to have the ball. In Memphis I always had the ball. So itís just a change of my role and, and Iím okay with that but it was hard. The public could look at it and say, ĎOh, heís not doing the same things heís normally doing. He canít do it anymore.í But itís like, man, Iím just trying to play the role I can play for this team that best helps us win with the talent that we have.Ē
    Ė via Sports Illustrated

Is Conleyís recent upswing sustainable? ďI guess I would ask the question differently,Ē said Jazz coach Quin Snyder. ďIs there something that would make someone think that itís not sustainable? Because I think this is who he is Ö early on, there were so many things that were new to him and then as heís beginning to kind of get comfortable, he gets hurt Ö him finding a rhythm with Donovan [Mitchell] and then with Joe [Ingles] and then with Bojan [Bogdanovic]. Rudy [Gobert] is probably as different a player that heís played with as anybody. There was just a confluence of things.Ē
    Ė via Sports Illustrated

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...virus-covid-19

Thanks for everything Rudy. Sure beats tanking!

https://thejnotes.com/2020/03/16/uta...opportunities/

May have been Morgan not Davis and Rudy wanted to play before they found out what he had

https://thejnotes.com/2020/03/18/uta...-appreciation/

If you drop him on any team in the league, even the New York freakin Knicks, I guarantee you that team can make the playoffs. Thatís the kind of overall impact Rudy brings to an NBA team, and thatís something we should never take for granted as Jazz fans.

We've already seen that they are one of the worst teams in the league without him

According to NBA sources, three prominent organizations — the Jazz, Bucks and Warriors — are expected to show some interest in Dotson, who made $1.6 million this season as a “3-and-D’’ prototype. “He’s got a great work ethic, leadership qualities and toughness,’’ former Knicks coach David Fizdale told The Post this week. “He’s extremely coachable and dedicated teammate. Totally committed to the culture with a consistently good attitude regardless of his minutes.’’
    – via Marc Berman @ New York Post

“He plays with a high motor,’’ another NBA talent evaluator said. “He lacks athleticism but he’s improved as a 3-point shooter since his rookie year. He probably has more shot-creating ability than he’s shown.’’
    – via Marc Berman @ New York Post

https://thejnotes.com/2020/03/26/uta...dley-playoffs/

Do I dare dream that he could handle the physicality of Dwight Howard and JaVale Mcgee in a playoff setting? Howard definitely has the edge with athleticism, and McGee has the height and weight advantage.

who cares about height. Bradley's length is over 7'5 and he's not an idiot like McGee

All of this is assuming that the Jazz would have made it past the Oklahoma City Thunder or the Houston Rockets in the first round of the playoffs. In that case, TB would have had to match-up against either Nerlens Noel (underrated in my opinion) or Jeff Green (small ball 5 for Houston), his former teammate.

or they go small with Morgan who's looked good when he's played