Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 323940414243 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2019-20 season - Been waiting two decades for this one!

The one guy I would go crazy targeting if I were the Nets is Rudy Gobert, especially with all the assorted whispers out there that he and Donovan Mitchell aren’t feeling each other. Gobert can be a free agent after the 2021 season if he doesn’t sign an extension with the Jazz. Presumably the Nets would need to put a pile of assets on the table to get interest from Utah — Dinwiddie, LeVert, picks, etc. would all need to be on the table. But man, he’d be a pretty amazing third pillar for this franchise.
    – via Alex Schiffer and John Hollinger @ The Athletic

Schiffer: Gobert fits a lot of their needs, especially defensively and would make for an interesting addition. I could see the Nets sending Allen to Utah if a trade were to take place between those two teams. To me, Allen’s future with the organization has gotten really interesting in light of Atkinson’s departure, which was tied to Jordan coming off the bench. Allen is eligible for an extension this summer and I think it would hurt the Nets if they don’t keep him, unless they make a trade for a player such as Gobert. What do you think of his situation in light of recent developments?
    – via Alex Schiffer and John Hollinger @ The Athletic

Again pretty much every team in the league ought to be lining up. Pass on Dinwiddle. Prince and Kurucs for the tank. Than you have to look to dump Conley, Bogie and Ingles as well

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...e-hall-of-fame

1) Andrei Kirilenko
    deserves to be in the rafters over some of them up there

3) Deron Williams
    If his number isn't retired it's a joke.

Adrian Dantley was with the Jazz for 7 seasons, and only had a winning record in 2 of them (45 wins was the best they ever got). He got his jersey retired based entirely off personal accolades with no winning at all. He was an all star 6 times with the Jazz and led the league in scoring twice. So I guess that’s impressive enough of a resume that they had to include him.
    But Pistol Pete is the weirdest choice. He played 6 seasons for the Jazz although all but 17 games were in New Orleans. And those Jazz teams were awful. They were today’s suns, and he was the 1970’s Devin Booker. He put up numbers and looked stylish doing it, but there was no substance behind it. He was an all star 3 times with the New Orleans Jazz, and led the league in scoring once. I guess they had to put his name there because he has that name recognition. Idk. He didn’t do much for the franchise. They were so bad with him as their star that the team was sold and moved to Utah. Then he gave up on them and left them for Boston.
    By the precedent set already, AK and DWill should have their jerseys retired. They’ve both done more for the team than some of those jerseys up there. If you value individual greatness, they were better players than Horny. If you value winning, they led the Jazz to more wins than AD and Pistol. However you slice it, the choices are weird.

Posted by cchappell18 on Apr 22, 2020 | 10:39 AM
    Jazz had never been in the playoffs til Dantley led them there improving 15 victories over the year before and winning the division. He deserves his place in the rafters with Stockton, Malone, Pistol, Deron and Rudy. That's it!

https://thejnotes.com/2020/04/24/uta...-gobert-trade/

Do any of these guys have the impact of Rudy though? Might as well get young guys and picks and tank of you can't get someone as impactful as him and there are few in the game

https://thejnotes.com/2020/04/26/uta...rdan-clarkson/

The Utah Jazz can’t afford to lose Jordan Clarkson
    rubbish! They have bigger needs than him so depending on the price it's debatable especially if they are tanking without Gobert. Not a big fan of 1 on 5 myself

Conely recently showed off his ambidextrous abilities when he won ESPN’s HORSE tournament, using offhand shots to make things difficult for his opponents. During the Q&A session a fan asked how Conley trained his offhand so effectively. “Honestly it takes a lot of work and starts as early as you can grab a ball,” Conley said. “Try to implement both-hand dribbling and not straying away from using that offhand. As you get older it becomes harder and harder but it doesn’t mean you can’t accomplish equal hand dominance.”
    – via Sarah Todd @ deseret.com

“Salt Lake has been unbelievable to me,” he said. “My family loves it. Obviously some of the best fans in the world. Truly a different experience for us, I think being in the mountains and altitude has been an adjustment. But, everywhere you go everyone is a diehard Jazz fan and truly care about you and your family.”

“Michael Jordan is No. 1,” Conley said. “His competitive nature, that’s the one thing I try to bring every night.” In a later response to a question about his favorite players growing up, Conley said he was a huge Seattle SuperSonics fan and in turn a big fan of Gary Payton, who spent 13 years with the Sonics. He also again mentioned Jordan along with Isiah Thomas.

The lower-level Eastern Conference talent evaluator suggested that if the Utah Jazz are forced to deal center Rudy Gobert, the Warriors might reconsider the idea of standing pat. The Athletic reported that Jazz star Donovan Mitchell’s relationship with Gobert is not “salvageable” after the two tested positive for the coronavirus. Gobert was caught on video mocking protocol by touching all of the reporters’ tape recorders at a press conference before the test results were reported.
    – via Ric Bucher @ Bleacher Report

A Gobert-for-Green deal meets salary-cap trade requirements, and the Jazz would get a former Defensive Player of the Year for the reigning one. The Warriors, meanwhile, would get a younger (and physically more imposing) one. Several executives consider moving Green as something the Warriors should at least consider, whether it is for a proven talent or a potential one.

While league sources stopped short of referring to the relationship as “irreconcilable,” they did confirm that Mitchell remains unhappy with Gobert. That poses a potential problem for the Jazz because Mitchell will enter the fourth year of his rookie contract next season and is eligible to sign a long-term extension. If he doesn’t, he becomes a restricted free agent in 2021 and an unrestricted free agent a year later.

Can't see them wanting Green. They'd want their lottery pick

https://thejnotes.com/2020/04/28/uta...-mudiay-steal/

Utah Jazz: Once deemed an afterthought, Emmanuel Mudiay was a FA steal
    end of the bench isn't exactly what I'd call a steal

His rebirth on the court helped the Jazz in a major way but may have hurt their chances of re-signing him during the summer. Utah doesn’t own his Bird Rights and can only sign him with cap space.

so he's probably gone. Need a 4

https://thejnotes.com/2020/04/29/uta...atest-trios/2/

The reason they get an honorable mention here is because their two playoff runs were preceded by three seasons of 30 wins or less. That’s a rarity in Utah Jazz culture and ultimately keeps them out of the top five.

The worst franchise in the league before these guys saved the franchise
    Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell, Ricky Rubio, 2017-2019

Frankly I should have put Andrei Kirilenko in there since him and Okur were interchangeable as the third and fourth best players on the team.

AK was probably the 2nd most important player on the team

Karl Malone, John Stockton, Mark Eaton, 1986-92
    Eaton!

This trio only reached the conference finals once, in 1992. It’s fun to imagine how far they could have gone if Eaton was born a few years earlier and his prime years coincided better with his All-Star teammates.

Imagine if Eaton had been gone sooner since they were better after he was gone

https://thejnotes.com/2020/04/30/uta...nt-directions/

Ric Bucher of Bleacher Report details a potential Gobert/Green swap in his latest article, while Greg Swartz, also of Bleacher Report, proposes a large haul of Thomas Bryant, Rui Hachimura, Jerome Robinson and Ish Smith in return for the 2x Defensive Player of the Year.

Maybe. I'd want their lottery pick as well

One keeps you competitive in the wild Western Conference, while the other bumps you down the pole significantly.

Can't see them remaining competitive without Rudy unless they get another of the top players in the league which I don't see happening. There are only a few that can carry a team at both ends like he can and Draymond nor Mitchell are among them. Can't see them doing anything but tanking without Rudy.

“The thing I keep hearing is the whole competitive advantage idea,” said one player on a team that could resume individual workouts next week. “If we open up half the teams’ facilities when it’s safe, what’s a team like Brooklyn going to do? That’s a question because I certainly have no idea what that looks like.” According to the league’s tracking of state-by-state government orders related to the virus, the Suns, Nuggets, Magic, Hawks, Pacers, Timberwolves, Hornets, Cavaliers, Thunder, 76ers, Grizzlies, Rockets, Mavericks, Spurs, and Jazz all live in states where stay-at-home orders will expire on or before May 8.
    – via Sam Amick and Joe Vardon @ The Athletic