Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I

Default Re: I

Btw Draz, when you say it's the "least hardest" language to learn I'm not sure what you mean by that. Yes, it's pretty straight forward when it comes to the simple stuff like querying tables and such, but there is so much more to it that school never even approaches. I don't think I did ANY procedure/function work in school, yet I use those almost everyday at work. I definitely wasn't creating SSIS packages at school, nor did they teach me how to create my own data types or apply extended properties. Like yea, it's straight forward if you're looking at a book with a step by step guide. It's a whole other thing when you're on the job and a data manager asks for x, y and z and it's your job to figure out how to get them what they want.

The language itself is easy to understand, sure. But there is so so much more to it, that's why I said the best way to learn it is to apply and accept an entry level role. Even if it's in the 30's, take that shit and look at it as if it were school. Within a year you'll be ready to apply for jobs paying $50k plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Yes I finished MIS at the end of 2018. I worked as a programmer for about 6 months (very low paying, entry level..) before I accepted the role of assistant DBA around March, which is paying me what I was expecting to get coming out of college. Not a database consultant, gotta have some experience before you can become a consultant...which btw pays very handsomely from what I've heard, but get ready to travel a lot if that's your goal.

I hear Investment banking you can make good money but it's stressful and long hours...I refuse to work more than 40hrs per week for someone else unless there is overtime involved or they paying me stupid cash (6 figures, got a ways to go before I get that). SQL roles (especially entry level) are lax asf.
    There's a lot of jobs in investment banking. the Front Office (client facing jobs) is where the $200k+ "80 hours a week during busy period" is. There's other jobs in the middle and back office that also pay very well if the bank/hedge fund is doing well, and they don't work those crazy hour. For example I work in the middle office for an asset management company of an insurance company and I don't work those 80 hours(though I have worked 60 a lot this years)

I'm tired of it though, I want to become a consultant and then settle at a f500 company as a vp or something lol

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    There's a lot of jobs in investment banking. the Front Office (client facing jobs) is where the $200k+ "80 hours a week during busy period" is. There's other jobs in the middle and back office that also pay very well if the bank/hedge fund is doing well, and they don't work those crazy hour. For example I work in the middle office for an asset management company of an insurance company and I don't work those 80 hours(though I have worked 60 a lot this years)

I'm tired of it though, I want to become a consultant and then settle at a f500 company as a vp or something lol

"settle at a f500 company as a vp or something" lol. That doesn't sound like settling to me, that's the dream for a lot of people. Gotta keep expectations realistic my man, it'll lead to less disappointment and a happier life.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make in investment banking?

I made 85k after bonus last year, north eastern high COL area though

I haven't been in the company for that long either, and before that I was doing regular accounting stuff. So that's pretty much an entry level salary

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    I made 85k after bonus last year, north eastern high COL area though

I haven't been in the company for that long either, and before that I was doing regular accounting stuff. So that's pretty much an entry level salary

Jeeezeee. That's pretty awesome, but like you said you are working more hours. Regardless, I'd do it for $85k. North east (not counting New York) is basically the same expenses as SoFlo, both are expensive asf.

If I were you, I'd keep doing that for the next 3-4 years, stack cash, and buy property. My goal isn't to be a corporate America slave for long. 10 years max, stack cash and buy real estate. Live off of the land you own

Bos you in NYC?

Nah, like I mentioned earlier I'm in Southern Florida.