Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

Default The magic word that keeps the Mandela Effect alive...

Dilemna. There's no satisfactory explanation.

Default Re: The magic word that keeps the Mandela Effect alive...

Most of you have no idea to what I am referring. It appears that a great deal of people have been taught to spell the word dilemma as dilemna. The issue? This variation never existed. The former is the only spelling of the word. The Mandela Effect can usually be chalked up to a false memory. In the case of dilemna, we are misremembering something that shouldn't even exist. It follows that children were actually taught the incorrect spelling of the word, from the '50s through to the '90s. How could this be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbo Coles
    Most of you have no idea to what I am referring. It appears that a great deal of people have been taught to spell the word dilemma as dilemna. The issue? This variation never existed. The former is the only spelling of the word. The Mandela Effect can usually be chalked up to a false memory. In the case of dilemna, we are misremembering something that shouldn't even exist. It follows that children were actually taught the incorrect spelling of the word, from the '50s through to the '90s. How could this be?
    Yeah, I remember having to memorize the "incorrect" spelling as dilemna as a kid.........because I spelled it as it sounded and was told that was wrong.

Had problems with several of the notorious ones like Berenstein and definitely thought Mandela died several times........

Cern f'd us over and gave us Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco 50
    Yeah, I remember having to memorize the "incorrect" spelling as dilemna as a kid.........because I spelled it as it sounded and was told that was wrong.

Had problems with several of the notorious ones like Berenstein and definitely thought Mandela died several times........

Cern f'd us over and gave us Trump.
    Cheers for the reply. This one's legitimate. Berenstein could be a false memory, dilemna isn't. It was most definitely taught. Very strange.

The Berenstein bears spelling was definitely similar to the dilemna situation in my case. I was a pretty good speller so when a word gave me problems, I remembered it. I remember purposely memorizing Berenstain, because that's how it was spelled despite that spelling not making phonetic sense.

It's entertaining to read/think about the theoretical physics that could be at play with something like this.

https://mandelaeffect.com/category/t...antum-science/

Did we somehow become entangled with an alternate "quantum packet?"

This would involve us blinking out of the reality we were familiar with into one we were connected to, but unaware of.

Did time streams somehow converge instead of what when we assume they diverge far more often?

This would explain why the memories exist in some, but not all.

Trippy stuff. Fun to talk about with psychedelic users, because they're up for the challenge whereas sober people don't often have the imagination.

Theoretical physics is really fun stuff.

The Berenstein bears spelling was definitely similar to the dilemna situation in my case. I was a pretty good speller so when a word gave me problems, I remembered it. I remember purposely memorizing Berenstain, because that's how it was spelled despite that spelling not making phonetic sense.

It's entertaining to read/think about the theoretical physics that could be at play with something like this.

https://mandelaeffect.com/category/t...antum-science/

Did we somehow become entangled with an alternate "quantum packet?"

This would involve us blinking out of the reality we were familiar with into one we were connected to, but unaware of.

Did time streams somehow converge instead of what when we assume they diverge far more often?

This would explain why the memories exist in some, but not all.

Trippy stuff. Fun to talk about with psychedelic users, because they're up for the challenge whereas sober people don't often have the imagination.

Theoretical physics is really fun stuff.
    Sure, but you weren't instructed to remember Berenstein as you were dilemna. Both qualify. Dilemna is unique; it was actively taught. With the others, you're at the mercy of memory. If we're going to take it up a notch, Madonna's real name is... Madonna? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbo Coles
    Sure, but you weren't instructed to remember Berenstein as you were dilemna. Both qualify. Dilemna is unique; it was actively taught. With the others, you're at the mercy of memory. If we're going to take it up a notch, Madonna's real name is... Madonna? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
    Fair point and if being 100% honest my memory has been less than pristine lately, but yeah dilemna was taught and in dictionaries.

I don't know anything about Madonna or pop. Was her name something else that you recall?

Fair point and if being 100% honest my memory has been less than pristine lately, but yeah dilemna was taught and in dictionaries.

I don't know anything about Madonna or pop. Was her name something else that you recall?
    Wait, this is weird. Do you actually remember consulting a dictionary during your schooling? You found dilemna? See, I don't think most people did. They simply trusted the teacher. No dictionary contains the word dilemna, not in this reality.

Maria Louise Ciccone is known by the mononym Madonna. But, as far as life is concerned, Madonna was always Madonna. She's never changed it. Madonna's real name is Madonna Louise Ciccone; Kurt Cobain never wore the pink fuzzy jacket; it's Sex and the city, not in the city; Kit Kat never had a hyphen; Mickey never had suspenders; and mother****ers like Frank Langella, Alan Alda, Gene Wilder and Jerry Lewis have ****ed around with our understanding of death.

OP shattered my world.

Keeping in mind that we just agreed that memory is faulty and that I've no way of proving that this occurred, yeah, that's what I remember.

I remember being docked on a paper for spelling dilemma as it sounds, like this. The teacher corrected it to dilemna. I'm not one to take the teacher's word as 100% truth so I'm sure I would have looked it up, especially if it would have proven her wrong. I was one of those kids....I remember purposely mispronouncing the word, so that I learned the "correct" spelling.

Anyway correct, no dictionary has the word dilemna in it today, but this is where it gets trippy.

Picture time as a river. Time as far, as we know, only progresses forward/down the river. The river develops a fork or event where two paths separate/diverge, say Mandela's death.

One fork progresses in a reality with Mandela being dead, while in the other he's alive.

Theoretically, if we could travel backwards down river in both time streams and he's alive prior to that fork, correct?

However, what if the time streams merged, or hell, were not even from the same river? Two separate, alternate realities if you will.

What if they were parallel and something catastrophic (CERN?)caused them to collapse/merge together. Realities then become distorted because both contain events that are binary. One exists, therefore the other cannot.

Schrodinger's cat/aka Mandela, has to be alive or dead. Can't be both, but you have merged realities that had two different outcomes, so how do we resolve this?

Quantum entanglement? Did we just blink into the other reality like a particle versus it's anti-particle? Quantum entanglement allows for both actions to exist, but not in the same reality. However, it also theoretically allows for the two events, death vs life, in this case to flip-flop occasionally which would obviously cause all kinds of downstream effects and chaos.

False memories could theoretically be a remnant of that action, but as I think this out, if this were actually occurring why only minor, insignificant events? Again chaos will be the result of any change to reality as we know it, so we'd definitely be aware of any significant change.

Therefore, Occam's razor says, it ain't happening, it's our brains screwing with us.

I dunno. Things get complex and weird, but like I said fun to think about once in a while.

PS: Never paid any attention to Madonna, but yeah I could have sworn that was her show name and not her real name....and the Mickey stuff rings true. I'll have to read up on the other references.