Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Are T2 and Aliens the only sequels arguably better than the originals?

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Winter Soldier > original Captain America
    cmon now

those franchises are left out of this

Default Re: Are T2 and Aliens the only sequels arguably better than the originals?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    One final note on T2; it has a gigantic plot hole/logic error that's hard for me to overlook. At the end, when the T-1000 is threatening Sarah and tells her to"call to John". Why did he even bother doing that? He could have killed her, disguised himself as her, and used her voice to call John himself. Like he did earlier on the phone after he killed John's parents. Just some lazy writing there.

I dunno, hopefully that doesn't ruin the movie for anyone.
    I don't know if that's true. He might have known and not come. I never felt it was safe, and yea it had some epic action scenes. It actually sealed up a lot of shit in a way sequels usually don't. I admit I haven't seen t1 fully in a grit but I saw t2 pretty recently. That scene where that black dude is shot and holding the trigger for that bomb, all the police are out there... I dunno. Or the fight at the end, or the liquid nitrogen truck.

I mean, it's kind of the same idea with Alien 1 though, but think about it this way: alien 1 and t1 laid the groundwork for people to be kicking ass and taking names in the sequels. So I mean, yea the originals were good, but what made them a good sequel, to me, was that they took it deeper. Like for instance if you compare it to blade runner sequel, that, to me, didn't really offer near as much.

t2 seemed like it handled biz and gave a happy ending in a believable way, but maybe it's just the kid in me talking. Aliens just had some epic chars, but shout to paul riser in a1. The fight w/ the queen tho... I dunno. Yea, I guess I am more of a sucker for action, and a lot of the horror/thriller part of the first movies was lost on me because it was more like zzz. Different people, I guess.

-Smak

The Dark Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    cmon now

those franchises are left out of this
    Lmao MCU are not ok but the shit show that has been the terminator franchise is?

Okay, so we're all just gonna act like Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls isn't a GOAT tier sequel?

Okay..

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    T2 is better than T1

Aliens is debatable

Is there any other franchises that improved as sequels went on?

Shout out to Die Hard 3, perhaps the goat 3rd installment
    Godfather 2

Empire Strikes Back

The Dark Knight

Spiderman 2

Wrath of Khan
    Last edited by Facepalm; 11-03-2019 at 07:34 PM.

T1 and Alien 1 were both better than the sequels.
    You are one of the few people who feel that way. I would assume 75% of people would disagree. And they'd be right too.

Terminator 2
    Aliens
    The Dark Knight
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Captain America: The Winter Solider + Civil War
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    The Godfather Part II
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

There's plenty of them IMO...

One final note on T2; it has a gigantic plot hole/logic error that's hard for me to overlook. At the end, when the T-1000 is threatening Sarah and tells her to"call to John". Why did he even bother doing that? He could have killed her, disguised himself as her, and used her voice to call John himself. Like he did earlier on the phone after he killed John's parents. Just some lazy writing there.

I dunno, hopefully that doesn't ruin the movie for anyone.
    Just an FYI on this. I looked this up because I wondered about it as well years and years ago. The T-1000 could only replicate voices that it had heard. And in the theatrical release of the movie the only contact Sarah and the T-1000 had up until the point she says "F*ck you..."when he asks her to call for John is when she was shooting at him in the psychiatric ward which you could say he never heard her voice. Amongst all the shooting and such it was probably difficult to pick up her voice.

Also a lot of fans say that it probably would be assumed that John and Sarah probably had some sort of code for each other to figure out if the other had been replicated by the T-1000 to verify if it was them. So maybe the T-1000 was assuming that they had a code word or something. That's assumed though. There's literally no clue of this in the film whatsoever.

I like the voice explanation though. Although I guess in a deleted scene the T-1000 goes through a bunch of recorded tapes of her from when she was locked up.
    Last edited by Meticode; 11-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.

I don't think Godfather 2 is better than the original.

The first Godfather is one of the only flawless, perfect movies I can think of. Godfather 2 gets a tad muddled for me. Granted, the story has more moving parts but the pacing of The Godfather is ****ing sick, and to be able to get so much character development...

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Terminator 2
    Aliens
    The Dark Knight
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Captain America: The Winter Solider + Civil War
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    The Godfather Part II
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

There's plenty of them IMO...

Ragnarok is not the sequel.
    LOTR Fellowship is better than The Two Towers. The ROTK> both though
    Godfather 1 > 2

Agree with the rest

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    You are one of the few people who feel that way. I would assume 75% of people would disagree. And they'd be right too.
    Well, 75% of people also like all the Hollywood drivel comic book/superhero stuff too. Doesn't mean anything to me. I formulate my own opinions.

T2 and Aliens were great sequels, but by and large, they are popcorn action flicks. The originals get brownie points for being original, first of all. And they had more depth, better atmosphere, more tension, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
    That's a good one that nobody has mentioned.

I'll add Hellraiser 2 because it delves more into the mythology of the cenobites

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Good mentions so far

I get the whole T1 and T2 thing, I like them both but I