Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default car salesmen, scummiest people in the sales industry

been shopping for a new truck. i started by emailing several dealerships. i was pretty direct, i.e. "i want this exact truck, stock # at invoice with no add ons, if you can't meet my requirements i will not budge, thank you"

got a response from 2. one is willing to deal but there wasn't enough time to get a deal done Saturday and they are closed Sunday.

the 2nd dealership, "we can definitely do invoice on this truck". i asked them again, "just to be clear, i don't want any dealership add-ons or i will walk". they assured me none were added. once i was there in person, ready to sign...they throw me a "truck comes with mandatory dealership added window tint and door guards, etc".

i told them goodbye. they just called me to try to negotiate the window tint for free. i just said goodbye once again and hung up.

m'fers, wasting my entire day.

Default Re: car salesmen, scummiest people in the sales industry

cut throat job

not quite as brutal as 25 years ago doing 9 hrs @ Daugherty Used Auto then playing 34min at United Center that same night

I feel you but if they don’t do add ons they don’t exist.

If all they’re getting is msrp or below it’s not enough to keep the lights on. They aren’t staying in business with manufacturer incentives for moving vehicles at cost.

Which hey that’s not your problem but that’s why you’re never not going to face it.

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh
    cut throat job

not quite as brutal as 25 years ago doing 9 hrs @ Daugherty Used Auto then playing 34min at United Center that same night

[QUOTE=Shogon]I feel you but if they don

In the Phoenix area?

I got a dude that will help you find what you need brodie

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    In the Phoenix area?

I got a dude that will help you find what you need brodie
    yes. ford dealership?

i got a truck i want at a particular ford dealership, already talked to gm on saturday but they were closed today. gonna hit him up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    yes. ford dealership?

i got a truck i want at a particular ford dealership, already talked to gm on saturday but they were closed today. gonna hit him up tomorrow.
    He's more of an....bird dog seeker you can say

Works with a few dealerships and has helped a bunxha people I know out

Wtf are you doing OP?

Tell them $300 under invoice and they can keep the dealer hold back. If they don

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    He's more of an....bird dog seeker you can say

Works with a few dealerships and has helped a bunxha people I know out
    i see. i'll let you know, i got a good feeling from this dealer, we just didn't have time to get anywhere on saturday since i contacted him late.

Cobra Kai Commander Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Buying a car is the worst.

Helped my mother buy her car a couple of years ago and we were in the market for a Dodge Durango. Went to one dealership that had the perfect one, but they had this mysterious $800 undercoat charge. So I told my Mom not to say a word and let me do the negotiating. I wrote the guy a price on a piece of paper and I told him that we would buy it today at this price.

Long story short, he goes back and says that the car has been discounted to its best price and that the only thing they can do is cut the $800 charge in half. So I told the guy that we weren't paying anything "extra" for the car and that we would agree to buy the car at the asking price if they just waived that extra charge and that was it. Guy comes back and says nope, that's it, no more discounts. I got up and told him and his sales manager who was in hearing distance that you guys just lost a sale. He comes back with, "well, we have to make money too". Imbeciles didn't care that I was willing to pay the asking price for the car!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Buying a car is the worst.

Helped my mother buy her car a couple of years ago and we were in the market for a Dodge Durango. Went to one dealership that had the perfect one, but they had this mysterious $800 undercoat charge. So I told my Mom not to say a word and let me do the negotiating. I wrote the guy a price on a piece of paper and I told him that we would buy it today at this price.

Long story short, he goes back and says that the car has been discounted to its best price and that the only thing they can do is cut the $800 charge in half. So I told the guy that we weren't paying anything "extra" for the car and that we would agree to buy the car at the asking price if they just waived that extra charge and that was it. Guy comes back and says nope, that's it, no more discounts. I got up and told him and his sales manager who was in hearing distance that you guys just lost a sale. He comes back with, "well, we have to make money too". Imbeciles didn't care that I was willing to pay the asking price for the car!
    Wait so if you buy at that price that means they don't make money?

Damn, that's tough.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

Damn, that's tough.
    Most cars, namely CPOs and used don't have much gross in them. I'm talking at legit dealerships, not BHPHs or small lots. With new, often the amount of rebates also hurts gross.

Dealers literally live off of the $500 armor-all wipes and $250 floor mats that would cost you a combined $40 at Ross.

Also, if you are a cash buyer or have outside financing and won't be signing up for the extras, such as gap, they also lose profit.

I can't be bothered trying to negotiate because I'm not cheap and I just don't care

Before buying a car or anything else, I'll check online what the real price is before I go, and that's the price I'll pay

Cobra Kai Commander Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

Damn, that's tough.

I think it's all bullshit, but qrich may be right. I've worked in Sales my whole life, but that is one Sales job that I wouldn't wish on anyone.