Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: car salesmen, scummiest people in the sales industry

Going with my cousin to buy the new Chevy to home last year it reaffirmed my belief that I will never in my life by a brand new car the hassle and deappreciation just doesn't seem worth it

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    Going with my cousin to buy the new Chevy to home last year it reaffirmed my belief that I will never in my life by a brand new car the hassle and deappreciation just doesn't seem worth it
    Yeah buying a new car isn’t worth it

almost everyone I know leases now .. wonder what percentage of people lease nowadays .. lower monthly payment, nicer car, never a worry about repair costs other than maintenance .. it works if you make good money

as far as profit, I've always read they make their money at the service dept ?

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

ever travel to Mexico? those timeshare guys are pretty slick

i was at the tesla store recently and they are miles ahead of their competitors in terms of sales experience. third party dealerships for used cars make sense, but for new cars theyre completely pointless... just a bunch of useless middlemen extracting money without providing anything of value.
    Last edited by Nanners; 11-25-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    almost everyone I know leases now .. wonder what percentage of people lease nowadays .. lower monthly payment, nicer car, never a worry about repair costs other than maintenance .. it works if you make good money

Leasing is an idiotic idea tbh. You shell out hundreds each month for a car you don't even own. Better off buying used car or getting a new car on a loan & paying off the loan. At least the car is yours and you are not throwing away money for a car you don't own.

If you don't have the money for a truck or SUV, go get a new Honda Accord for 22k or pre-owned Honda for half that in good condition. You get great mileage and at least own the car in your name. The whole "SUV or bust" mentality in America is foolish imo. Nobody goes off-roading or driving up cliffs or pulling trailers lol. As far as accidents go, if you hit another SUV or truck at 65mph, your benefit of being in a SUV makes no difference.
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-25-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dude77

Yeah, you just throw away money on a vehicle you don't own and are often restricted to about 10-12k miles per year with an outrageous overage charge that could be as high as $.75 a mile.

Not to mention you need to have top notch coverage in case anything were to occur while you are leasing the vehicle.

Leasing is only a good idea if you have shit credit and the money to throw away. Or just the latter.

Much better off buying a lower model car, instead of an Altima, settle for the Sentra. A Corolla instead of an Avalon. An ILX instead of the RLX, etc.

Even with Tier 1A credit, you'd be hard pressed to find a good lease deal that didn't kill you on mileage overage charges.

Service is a big profit bringer for dealerships, as is upselling stuff like gap or incentives given by the manufacturer or finance companies (even though the latter shouldn't technically happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I think it's all bullshit, but qrich may be right. I've worked in Sales my whole life, but that is one Sales job that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    Car sales can be very.... lucrative. Did it for a bit but the dealership politics were beyond despicable. Plus working 65+ hours some weeks with a paycheck of the draw is just depressing. Car salesmen are among the best when it comes to budgeting because you can have a $10,000 month followed by five goose eggs (of draws, which is about $1,500-$2,000 from experience)

But the gross in CPOs is minimal, same with cars that have huge rebates.

College superstar Long Duck Dong's Avatar

[QUOTE=Shogon]

If all they

The scummiest people in the world are the life insurance salesmen

I got recruited by Northwestern mutual and first thing they wanted to know is a list of “potential customers” aka family and friends

These scumbags wanted me to sell overpriced life insurance and annuity plans to My family and friends. **** that
    Last edited by CelticBaller; 11-25-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Salespeople, in general, are scum.

I have several stories; here’s one: years ago, I interviewed at a wealth management firm. I wasn’t trying to become a wealth advisor (aka glorified salesman); no interest in that. It was for a support, client service type role. Anyway, during the interview the 2 guys interviewing me kept asking me questions about my former employers (I had worked for 2 large companies in my area). Not your usual “tell me what you did there / what skills/experience did you learn blah blah” type questions, which are expected in an interview. They wanted to know about the people that worked at those companies; the demographic makeup, etc. It was really weird, until I realized that they were sizing me up to see if I haD a potential book of business to bring on. They weren’t interested in me as an employee as much as they were interest in my network. LOL. After I realized that, I mailed in the rest of the interview and didn’t bother following up. Scum gonna scum.
    Last edited by JohnnySic; 11-25-2019 at 03:50 PM.

[QUOTE=JohnnySic]Salespeople, in general, are scum.

I have several stories; here

bought a new toyota a couple years ago, but checked out the dealers website before i came in. chatted with one of the salespeople online and they gave me an incredible deal. went in to the dealership and told them and they kind of just looked at me like

showed them the chat, and they found the employee who gave me the deal and honored it.

might be a good way to go.

I'm also on the market for a car.

I DO NOT want to go new just because of the excess bullshit these people give. We walked into a new dealership just to browse and each one of the sales reps killed each other just to give us their card undercutting each other. One followed us outside and kept on bothering me.

I'd rather spend $5k on a used cheap car or lease and not deal with the extra nonsense. I don't give a fck about add-ons. I don't care if you need to sell extra mats to hit your quota.

They're making the car buying experience terrible.

The best experience we had was when my father purchased his lexus at a better dealership. We haggled and they did too. Walked out and still have a relationship with the salesman who was a younger kid around my age.

I'm stressing walking into a dealer with intent to buy than actually spending the money.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Leasing is an idiotic idea tbh. You shell out hundreds each month for a car you don't even own. Better off buying used car or getting a new car on a loan & paying off the loan. At least the car is yours and you are not throwing away money for a car you don't own.

If you don't have the money for a truck or SUV, go get a new Honda Accord for 22k or pre-owned Honda for half that in good condition. You get great mileage and at least own the car in your name. The whole "SUV or bust" mentality in America is foolish imo. Nobody goes off-roading or driving up cliffs or pulling trailers lol. As far as accidents go, if you hit another SUV or truck at 65mph, your benefit of being in a SUV makes no difference.

Uh.. You don't own a car you're financing as well. The bank does. Unless you're purchasing outright the car isn't owned by the buyer.

People that buy cars outright end up selling or trading it in for pennies in 7-10 years. Everyone and their mother is leasing now. Who doesn't upgrade a car after 4-7 years? Those are the people who fit the guidelines to buy or finance.

With technology advancing and collision safety improving, there is no reason to not upgrade every 4-6 years which is monumental with the way automotive progress has been made.

I'd even go as far as saying lease economy which is what you shouldn't be doing because these days economy cars are coming fully equipped that cars above their classes you have to pay for the trim.

I'm also on the fence because I only would need to drive 10 miles a day to work 5 days a week. That's 50 miles a week. I don't want to go all out on a new car that I'll be using minimum 30 minutes a day.

My father started leasing after owning right out his entire life and couldn't be anymore happier. New technology, new car, you walk out the contract and can hop into another manufacturer with ease.