Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: car salesmen, scummiest people in the sales industry

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Uh.. You don't own a car you're financing as well. The bank does. Unless you're purchasing outright the car isn't owned by the buyer.

People that buy cars outright end up selling or trading it in for pennies in 7-10 years. Everyone and their mother is leasing now. Who doesn't upgrade a car after 4-7 years? Those are the people who fit the guidelines to buy or finance.

With technology advancing and collision safety improving, there is no reason to not upgrade every 4-6 years which is monumental with the way automotive progress has been made.

I'd even go as far as saying lease economy which is what you shouldn't be doing because these days economy cars are coming fully equipped that cars above their classes you have to pay for the trim.

I'm also on the fence because I only would need to drive 10 miles a day to work 5 days a week. That's 50 miles a week. I don't want to go all out on a new car that I'll be using minimum 30 minutes a day.

My father started leasing after owning right out his entire life and couldn't be anymore happier. New technology, new car, you walk out the contract and can hop into another manufacturer with ease.
    People who tend to not upgrade will usually put that money into other stuff like retirement or investments.

Idk, I drove a 2019 Altima this year it was nice but not much nicer than my 2015 Sentra other than the leather seats. I wouldn't shell out $5k extra or whatever it is when I could use that for savings or investing. I bought an aftermarket dock and backup camera to save some money instead of buying a higher trim.

No, you probably shouldn't be buying unless your city has no public transportation options whatsoever or you like to take weekend trips often.

That's a honeymoon period, who doesn't like a younger, hotter wife to ride? Your dad has more life experience and probably enough capital to justify leasing something than driving something that's 15-20 years old. Car junkies will try to justify the opposite by investing into older cars while ignoring newer ones, it's personal preference tbh.

I bought my daughter a used car through Carvana. Negotiated price online, checked the carfax report, got financing through my bank and had the vehicle delivered to my house. Easiest experience ever buying a car. One year later car is performing great and my daughter loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I bought my daughter a used car through Carvana. Negotiated price online, checked the carfax report, got financing through my bank and had the vehicle delivered to my house. Easiest experience ever buying a car. One year later car is performing great and my daughter loves it.
    This sounds great, tbh my only problem with this is you don't have the ability to test drive or inspect the car before you buy. The actual buying process sounds straightforward without all the bs.

They can't sell you a car on the phone. When they have you on the phone their job is to get you into the dealership. Period.

Once you are at the dealership then they can try an overcome any objections.

You sound like a guy who has never worked on commission.

I just recently bought a new car and they pulled a stunt like this, which I knew was coming. It is just part of the game. Get over it.

[QUOTE=CelticBaller]The scummiest people in the world are the life insurance salesmen

I got recruited by Northwestern mutual and first thing they wanted to know is a list of

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    They can't sell you a car on the phone. When they have you on the phone their job is to get you into the dealership. Period.

Once you are at the dealership then they can try an overcome any objections.

You sound like a guy who has never worked on commission.

I just recently bought a new car and they pulled a stunt like this, which I knew was coming. It is just part of the game. Get over it.

You can bet your ass those guys laughed endlessly at this fat mexican smelling of disgusting BO thinking he's uppity after leaving the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Carvana isn't going to be around much longer, but **** them. No test drive, no service, no connection. My dude bought a car from them that want even cleaned out fully.

Also, for fun, I bought a car at an auction to mess around with. Decided to take it to CarMax, AutoNation and a few other spots to see what trade in they would give me without me purchasing from them. Lowest I got was $2,750. Carvana offered me $300.

And then kept calling me and asking why I won't sell to them

Uh.. You don't own a car you're financing as well. The bank does. Unless you're purchasing outright the car isn't owned by the buyer.

People that buy cars outright end up selling or trading it in for pennies in 7-10 years. Everyone and their mother is leasing now. Who doesn't upgrade a car after 4-7 years? Those are the people who fit the guidelines to buy or finance.

With technology advancing and collision safety improving, there is no reason to not upgrade every 4-6 years which is monumental with the way automotive progress has been made.

I'd even go as far as saying lease economy which is what you shouldn't be doing because these days economy cars are coming fully equipped that cars above their classes you have to pay for the trim.

I'm also on the fence because I only would need to drive 10 miles a day to work 5 days a week. That's 50 miles a week. I don't want to go all out on a new car that I'll be using minimum 30 minutes a day.

My father started leasing after owning right out his entire life and couldn't be anymore happier. New technology, new car, you walk out the contract and can hop into another manufacturer with ease.
    Yes, the loan is through bank but the bank doesn't tell you how much you are limited to driving each year before you have to pay for extra miles. You can drive how much you want and you own the car. Just don't miss payments and try to pay it off earlier if you can to not let interest accrue.

It's a foolish idea to lease a car, give them thousands each year for a car you will never own. If you drive extra miles past whatever the contract says, you have to pay even more extra for it. It's throwing away money.

It's even more foolish to upgrade to a new car every 4-7 years if you just bought a new car unless 1) your car is giving you trouble due to some expensive issue that keeps breaking down or b) you use your car a lot & need to get something that has better mileage or something. Car technology and collision tech doesn't change all that much every 4-6 years to warrant getting a new car. What are you smoking?

Sorry, you have yet to provide a legit reason for leasing over buying used/pre-owned. Except you can change to new vehicles once contract is up, which is essentially renting. You rent something you will shell out hundreds each month and never own. If you have money to throw around (such as in retirement years or if you are rich), it's fine but for everyone else it's not good enough reason. Even if you are rich, you can afford to buy a brand new car like Acura or Tesla or Benz.
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-25-2019 at 07:13 PM.

People, you dont trade in your car until its literally falling apart. Unless you enjoy pissing money away. Hey, its your money.

I went with a privately owned dealership for my 2007 Toyota 4Runner Limited. I love this thing. Only listen to what they tell you to see if they're lying or not. Usually anyone will over-exaggerate to get the car/truck out of there.

Did you get your truck ?

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Yes, the loan is through bank but the bank doesn't tell you how much you are limited to driving each year before you have to pay for extra miles. You can drive how much you want and you own the car. Just don't miss payments and try to pay it off earlier if you can to not let interest accrue.

It's a foolish idea to lease a car, give them thousands each year for a car you will never own. If you drive extra miles past whatever the contract says, you have to pay even more extra for it. It's throwing away money.

It's even more foolish to upgrade to a new car every 4-7 years if you just bought a new car unless 1) your car is giving you trouble due to some expensive issue that keeps breaking down or b) you use your car a lot & need to get something that has better mileage or something. Car technology and collision tech doesn't change all that much every 4-6 years to warrant getting a new car. What are you smoking?

Sorry, you have yet to provide a legit reason for leasing over buying used/pre-owned. Except you can change to new vehicles once contract is up, which is essentially renting. You rent something you will shell out hundreds each month and never own. If you have money to throw around (such as in retirement years or if you are rich), it's fine but for everyone else it's not good enough reason. Even if you are rich, you can afford to buy a brand new car like Acura or Tesla or Benz.
    You can definitely own a lease car, but the pay off at the end is so damn egregious, it really isn't worth it. Biggest benefit to leasing is it boosts your score a pretty good margin in a short time (leases can be as little as 12 months, and a completed 12-month agreement can do wonders if you have poor or no credit).

When it comes to trading a vehicle in every 4-5 years, assuming you have paid it off, or have nearly paid it off, to the point where there is no (or very little) negative equity can pay dividends, as you could get enough rebates on the new vehicle to drop the sticker cost to making it a potential steal. This is, of course, assuming you have good credit.

My uncle fell into a lease because its "all he could get approved for." They weren't up front about the mileage charge, and dude drove from LA to Sac almost every month, with a few Vegas trips sprinkled in. Just the overage in miles cost him nearly what the cars worth was, not to mention, the final payment to own. Yes, it was his own fault, he should've read what he signed, but damn, leasing isn't typically a good idea.

In any regard, buying a CPO is the absolute best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    People, you dont trade in your car until its literally falling apart. Unless you enjoy pissing money away. Hey, its your money.
    Trading a car that's falling apart is even worse. You'll get no good offer from the dealer, and if they "guarantee $3,000 for any trade in," they tack it on the back end without really breaking it down for you.

If your car is falling apart, you post it on CL or whatever marketplace for $500 over what you want, and boom, cash in hand. Use that cash for a down payment as opposed to trade-in if you are financing again.

Leasing is purely situational. If you don't drive much then it's worth it. If you're actively driving and putting miles on, buy cash. Don't pay any interest.

For my situation it's buying a sub $5k car or its leasing because I don't drive often. I only need the car because of brutal winters in NYC and even then MTA transportation has been what I've dealt with..

If it's a Subaru (WRX) these cars hold value and leasing will be significantly higher however, no one wants to deal with maintenance with a subaru over 4 years or more.

Everything is purely based on your financial situation and needs secondary. Speaking for myself, I've dealt with MTA for way too long and it's getting frustrating. It helped me build a cash safety net for a car. Would I recommend a new car to anyone? No.

If you're doing anything German, you want to lease and never own.

Economy? 99% of the time you want to finance or buy full out in cash.

You also only live once. You can't take the money to your grave.

Leasing is purely situational. If you don't drive much then it's worth it. If you're actively driving and putting miles on, buy cash. Don't pay any interest.

For my situation it's buying a sub $5k car or its leasing because I don't drive often. I only need the car because of brutal winters in NYC and even then MTA transportation has been what I've dealt with..

If it's a Subaru (WRX) these cars hold value and leasing will be significantly higher however, no one wants to deal with maintenance with a subaru over 4 years or more.

Everything is purely based on your financial situation and needs secondary. Speaking for myself, I've dealt with MTA for way too long and it's getting frustrating. It helped me build a cash safety net for a car. Would I recommend a new car to anyone? No.

If you're doing anything German, you want to lease and never own.

If you don't drive much then buy a pre-owned car. Leasing at $200/mo for a car you drive 50 miles a month is a waste. In that example, it's $4/mile and that doesn't include fuel costs and maintenance.

But of course, to each their own. I'm just telling you why it's foolish to lease. Except in those couple instances.

If you're doing anything German, you want to buy CPO with warranty.

Sure, if it's a car you'll hardly utilize and not worry about mileage overage, a lease doesn't seem as bad. But let's take a quick look. Using a random NYC zip code, and assuming you qualify for Subu's Tier 1 credit, you are looking at a monthly of $359 for a WRX on a 36-month lease, with $2k due at signing.

You get 12k miles per year (which, you personally would be well under) and at the end of the lease, you will have to shell out an additional $300 dispo fee.

On top of that, any cosmetic issues, you will be responsible for. I've seen people be charged $1k for a windshield replacement due to them replacing it with cheap stuff at a mom and pop. Car needs to be detailed? Well, there's $500. Tints redone? $300. And a bunch of stuff that will add up.

Doing a quick insurance quote, with perfect driving history using that same zip code I used for the lease quote, the bare minimum required for a lease on a '20 WRX came out to $481.42.

So, you are looking at well over $800 a month to lease a WRX.

A car, you won't own, can't utilize how you want and better return in perfect condition or will be charged up the wahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Did you get your truck ?

i didn't have time to go today. i may put down a down payment so he can hold it bc it's one of the last 19 models they have. i may work through thanksgiving depending on a current job schedule that was moved up suddenly