Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Default Do you travel in the left lane? If so, do you get out of the way for people behind u?

This applies to U.S. driving side posters only but; It's illegal in some U.S. States to travel in the left lane if you aren't actively passing anyone.

I live in a State where this is not illegal and I've got to say, it is a frequent occurrence to see drivers who putz along on 3 and 4 lane highways, in the far left lane, going pretty much the speed limit with anywhere from a few cars to a half mile of cars tailgating them desperately waiting for them to switch lanes so as to pass. Generally there is a HUGE gap in front of them, sometimes no cars as far as the eye can see in front of them. They usually persist to drive the exact same speed as the cars next to them so that nobody behind them can pass them. And the frequency is probably 1 left lane cruiser for every 1/4 mile stretch of highway in the area I live.

Now I used to think this was an accident and brought on by ignorance of those who simply may not know it is poor etiquette (or illegal) to travel in the left lane without passing but I've seen a person on Facebook get into an argument once and looked legitimately angry at people who "speed" in the left lane and felt it was his civil duty to keep them slow by camping in that left lane so nobody can pass him. Years ago in driving school I specifically remember the instructor saying the speed on the highway should be "with the flow of traffic" so that merging and passing is able to be done safely, and the speed limit should come secondary. Clearly not all abide by this as both left lane travelers and slow on ramp drivers that enter 65mph highways at like 45mph are extremely frequent in my area.

Where do you posters fall in the left lane traveling and merging speed spectrum? Do you do it? How often? Do you get out of the way? Are you even aware it's not a good practice? Let's hear it

Default Re: Do you travel in the left lane? If so, do you get out of the way for people behind u?

in AZ it's illegal to drive in the utmost left lane. it's reserved for overtaking and passing another driver only. highway patrol will fine the sh1t out of you and rightfully so. it's a pet peeve of any local to see someone cruising the left lane on the freeway/highway.

Default Re: Do you travel in the left lane? If so, do you get out of the way for people behind u?

Nope. Keep right except to pass

on the highway no only to pass

I'm legally not allowed to drive, so I sprint everywhere. Like a man.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    in AZ it's illegal to drive in the utmost left lane. it's reserved for overtaking and passing another driver only. highway patrol will fine the sh1t out of you and rightfully so. it's a pet peeve of any local to see someone cruising the left lane on the freeway/highway.
    Kind of wish that was law around here as well...

Do you know how dangerous it feels when traffic is backed up during rush hour behind the people who choose to block everyone in behind them and drive the same speed as the slow-lane cars next to them? It honestly feels more dangerous for everyone to be boxed in than it would for people to be passing at the 5-10mph more they are trying to go

I also see a lot of road rage triggered by these slow left lane drivers

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Thanks.

I knew you could be fined for driving under the speed limit in the left lane, but I did not know that in some states it's illegal to drive in the left lane if not passing.

https://www.simplemost.com/states-wi...-passing-laws/

I wish they would punish left lane campers in my state. Its supposedly illegal here, but I see people doing it CONSTANTLY, and I have never heard of someone getting pulled over for it.

I dont camp the left lane, but if I was I would def get out the way for passers. When I was first learning to drive, I was taught that you should glance up in your rear view mirror once every ~5ish sec, just to keep some awareness of whats happening behind you... so I always watch my ass and I try to get out of the way when someone is riding me regardless of the lane.
    Last edited by Nanners; 11-25-2019 at 02:25 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I don

[QUOTE=warriorfan]I don

Quote Originally Posted by Phong
    According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Department of Transportation (DOT), Asians are 3 times less likely to be involved in accidents than Whites, Blacks and Hispanics. Hispanics lead the pack in terms of DUIs, hit-and-runs and vehicular manslaughter. Who's the menace?
    At least asians have auto insurance...can't say the same about the blacks and illegals.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

See everything ain't bad about Arizona.

Nice roads
    Common sense laws
    Concealed carry without a permit
    Huge houses for dirt cheap
    Nice weather most of the year

Troopers can be ***** to out of staters though.

My aunt literally told me yesterday that my cousin might be moving to Arizona from Denver, and if my cousin and her husband do that, she and my uncle will definitely sell their home in Glenwood Springs and move with them. They are tired of the snow and cold.

Stay in the left lane

going like 30 above speed limit tho

Sure wish we had that law in NC

AZ has left lane exits. wtf is that shit?