Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    College superstar

Default Re: How many of you actually have an accent from the region you're from?

If you grew up in or around the Bay Area since rap has been a thing chances are you might speak with hella slang. Idk about a specific accent though.

Default Re: How many of you actually have an accent from the region you're from?

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    People from California sound just like people from Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, etc. No accent. If they did, then people wouldn’t sound exactly the same despite such distance.

People from NY just talk faster.

People from Boston....”Let me get the cah”. Learn how to pronounce an R. Although this is only in certain places in Boston.

People from MS, AL, LA, GA all have a southern drawl accent.

AUS? “Aye mate, lets throw tha shrimp on tha barbie”

Da fvck u just say?
    California absolutely has an accent, everyone has an accent.

The California accent (which is actually the accent of the entire west coast and many other regions/cities as you mentioned) is the "hollywood accent"... its how people talk in the majority of media (but especially tv/movies).

The main reason the California accent doesnt sound like an accent to some people is because its so dominant in mass media... it sounds "normal" because its the most commonly heard.
    Last edited by Nanners; 11-29-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    People from California sound just like people from Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, etc. No accent. If they did, then people wouldn’t sound exactly the same despite such distance.
    Nope

California in itself has multiple accents, SoCal/NorCal/Valley/Inland

All different and distinguishable

Blacks from Oakland and ones from South LA sound completely different

Then there's the SD Bro's and Huntington gnar gnar

So pitted WaPAA

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners

The California accent (which is actually the accent of the entire west coast and many other regions/cities as you mentioned) is the "hollywood accent"... its how people talk in the majority of media (but especially tv/movies).

The main reason the California accent doesnt sound like an accent to some people is because its so dominant in mass media... it sounds "normal" because its the most commonly heard.
    I dont understand why this accent became the American default; it sounds so dull. Give me a deep, almost unintelligible southern drawl or a Brooklyn accent any day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Y'all know who are the Chicago Bears Super Fans? People say I kind of talk like that

Dah Bearsssss

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    I dont understand why this accent became the American default; it sounds so dull. Give me a deep, almost unintelligible southern drawl or a Brooklyn accent any day.
    It became default because California is the #1 region on the planet for electronic media. Anyway, people from Boston arent really allowed to complain about other accents

It became default because California is the #1 region on the planet for electronic media. Anyway, people from Boston arent really allowed to complain about other accents
    Yeah, Boston accents can be harsh, but at least they're not dull.

When I moved from Cincinnati, OH to Wisconsin many people said I had a "southern-ish" accent. They could tell I was more southern than they were. Probably had some Kentuckian in it or something since I went to Kentucky regularly. That's all but gone now since I've lived in Wisconsin for fifteen and a half years.

I have a bit of a New England accent. Pronouncing my Rs as AH's. It's nowhere near as bad as people directly from Boston.

I can't pick up the differences from the hollywood accent and people in the places I mentioned. If they are there, they are too subtle to notice. Can definitely distinguish the accent from other places however.

I have a heavy combo of several regional dialects from multiple sides family/who I grew up with, I'll rank them by percentages:

30% Chicago Italian/greek
    20% NY Italian
    15% fast Chicago/Detroit Arab/Assyrian-american
    15% Fast Americanized NY Puerto Rican
    15% fast NY Black
    5% fast Chicago black

Arabic, Spanish, Black slang comes out periodically when hanging around each side of fam/friends.. Calmed down Version of chicago accent used for most business calls/meetings.