Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

  1. #1
    trash talk king DoctorP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,434

    Default Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Tracy McGrady: 48 Points
    Dirk Nowitzki: 53 Points

    Those midrange days...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEkiqEJmys

  2. #2
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    24,325

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Damn. That was good. McGrady was so fluid for his size. Dirk turned it on in OT though. It was funny to hear the announcers reactions to their pull up 3 pointers like it was a super ill advised shot...well it was back then I guess. Now taking those is no big deal.

  3. #3
    Repeal FATCA Hawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,123

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Crazy seeing Dirk move like that. Thanks for the reminder.

  4. #4
    NBA sixth man of the year elementally morale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,777

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Thank you for this.

    Two observations.

    1) Interesting. Once there was basketball played in the NBA.

    2) These two guys were lot better shooters than many 3 point specialists today. They may have been worse from deep or even fg% wise... but they shot the ball from anywhere on the floor. Not just set shots but pull-up jumpers, off the dribble shots, getting to the basket... everything.

    The product was much superior. Some young guys would think I say this due to my age... but no. I'm older than that. The time the game took place I was 30 already, so if I was idolizing 'my youth' I should prefer the 80s and 90s . But I don't. To me the game was best from the mid 90s to the early 10s. Let's say 1994-2012.

  5. #5
    Local High School Star theballerFKA Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Low Cal
    Posts
    1,577

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Crazy thing is TMac was already beginning his decline at that time. He peaked at 24. He was younger than Dirk but 7 years after this game, he was coming off the bench, a year away from China, while Dirk was still beasting and humiliating LeBron's ass.

  6. #6
    Cmon Rox Mr Exlax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Humble
    Posts
    4,410

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Quote Originally Posted by theballerFKA Ace
    Crazy thing is TMac was already beginning his decline at that time. He peaked at 24. He was younger than Dirk but 7 years after this game, he was coming off the bench, a year away from China, while Dirk was still beasting and humiliating LeBron's ass.
    Injuries will definitely do that. Injuries have robbed fans of so much greatness.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    The product was much superior. Some young guys would think I say this due to my age... but no. I'm older than that. The time the game took place I was 30 already, so if I was idolizing 'my youth' I should prefer the 80s and 90s . But I don't. To me the game was best from the mid 90s to the early 10s. Let's say 1994-2012.
    This is why I think Hakeem Olajuwon was the best center I've ever seen.


  8. #8
    Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Khobestan
    Posts
    10,577

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    the offensive arsenal and repertoire of moves

    far superior product

    the current game of layups and 3 point shooting simply doesn't showcase the same level of skill

  9. #9
    College star BarberSchool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spelunking Luncheon
    Posts
    3,903

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    I actually taped this game on VHS cassette as a kid lol

  10. #10
    Le11th superduper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    9,855

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Half of the league today wouldn't make it to this iteration of the NBA.

    There are no free red carpet layup lines and infinite spacing for 50+ 3pt chucks a game.

  11. #11
    Local High School Star theballerFKA Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Low Cal
    Posts
    1,577

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    Half of the league today wouldn't make it to this iteration of the NBA.

    There are no free red carpet layup lines and infinite spacing for 50+ 3pt chucks a game.
    Idk about that but players today would probably literally be in tears if hounded on the perimeter by Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, Chris Christie, Ron Artest.

    Actually now that I think of it, you are right, as time goes on, regular season games are getting more and more like the All Star game.

  12. #12
    L3gacy RRR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    28,450

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Quote Originally Posted by theballerFKA Ace
    Idk about that but players today would probably literally be in tears if hounded on the perimeter by Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, Chris Christie, Ron Artest.

    Actually now that I think of it, you are right, as time goes on, regular season games are getting more and more like the All Star game.


    Yeah players today would definitely be in tears facing this athletic beast. Tears of laughter.

  13. #13
    Local High School Star theballerFKA Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Low Cal
    Posts
    1,577

    Default Re: Classic Duel: TMac vs Dirk

    Quote Originally Posted by RRR3


    Yeah players today would definitely be in tears facing this athletic beast. Tears of laughter.
    Doug Christie

    My bad. Auto spell when I lumped Doug and Christie together as one word

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •