Page 150 of 334 FirstFirst ... 50100140147148149150151152153160200250 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 5005

Thread: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

  1. #2236
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    9,977

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    "Vietnam, officially the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, is one of just five communist countries still in existence. The other four are China, Cuba, Laos, and North Korea."

    Scratch Vietnam. Dunno why I thought of Vietnam as democratic - I recall learning about the Commies taking over the Democratic portion of Vietnam after American troops left. They are a one-party dictatorship. No different than China.

    The point still stands. India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, plenty of other Democratic countries you can do business with other than China for pretty much the same cost or close.

  2. #2237
    National High School Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,049

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    "Vietnam, officially the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, is one of just five communist countries still in existence. The other four are China, Cuba, Laos, and North Korea."

    Scratch Vietnam. Dunno why I thought of Vietnam as democratic - I recall learning about the Commies taking over the Democratic portion of Vietnam after American troops left. They are a one-party dictatorship. No different than China.

    The point still stands. India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, plenty of other Democratic countries you can do business with other than China for pretty much the same cost or close.
    Maybe you are just brainstorming but are you looking at any numbers or just going off what you think? India is the only country that can compete with China when it comes to sheer number of workers. But China has a huge advantage in skilled and specialized workers. China also has an enormous advantage in infrastructure that supports business and trade. India is like third world compared to China according to a friend I know who has been there for business. China also has a much more friendly business regulation environment (despite the communist government).

  3. #2238
    Consensus, Cemented Vino24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Top 3
    Posts
    4,466

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    I recommend anyone who gets coronavirus to take a nice steam shower or boil some water on the stove and carefully breath in that steam. The humidity will help fight the virus and you breath easier

  4. #2239
    NBA lottery pick Kungfro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,548

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    You should check the thread on RealGM of posters dealing with Covid-19 right now. This virus is no joke.

    https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...?f=6&t=1954017

  5. #2240
    Good college starter Long Duck Dong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,302

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    A sick tiger in the Bronx zoo just tested positive for COVID-19 and it's suspected that 3 other sick tigers and 2 lions also have the virus. They are fairly certain a caretaker, who is COVID-19 positive, passed it on to them.

    Hold up, I thought they said humans couldn't get COVID-19 from most animals like cats and dogs? If we can give it to them, pretty sure they can give it back to us.

  6. #2241
    Chewing is a thug RRR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    30,171

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    A sick tiger in the Bronx zoo just tested positive for COVID-19 and it's suspected that 3 other sick tigers and 2 lions also have the virus. They are fairly certain a caretaker, who is COVID-19 positive, passed it on to them.

    Hold up, I thought they said humans couldn't get COVID-19 from most animals like cats and dogs? If we can give it to them, pretty sure they can give it back to us.
    Cats and dogs can get it yeah.

  7. #2242
    Valley Boyz highwhey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,433

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    A sick tiger in the Bronx zoo just tested positive for COVID-19 and it's suspected that 3 other sick tigers and 2 lions also have the virus. They are fairly certain a caretaker, who is COVID-19 positive, passed it on to them.

    Hold up, I thought they said humans couldn't get COVID-19 from most animals like cats and dogs? If we can give it to them, pretty sure they can give it back to us.
    Umm WTF

  8. #2243
    I said good day, sir! Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Pit of Darkness
    Posts
    3,421

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    A sick tiger in the Bronx zoo just tested positive for COVID-19 and it's suspected that 3 other sick tigers and 2 lions also have the virus. They are fairly certain a caretaker, who is COVID-19 positive, passed it on to them.

    Hold up, I thought they said humans couldn't get COVID-19 from most animals like cats and dogs? If we can give it to them, pretty sure they can give it back to us.
    Eat them alive.

  9. #2244
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    9,977

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by falc39 View Post
    Maybe you are just brainstorming but are you looking at any numbers or just going off what you think? India is the only country that can compete with China when it comes to sheer number of workers. But China has a huge advantage in skilled and specialized workers. China also has an enormous advantage in infrastructure that supports business and trade. India is like third world compared to China according to a friend I know who has been there for business. China also has a much more friendly business regulation environment (despite the communist government).
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together most basic equipment or to operate a mostly automated process factory. You don't have to be highly trained expert to manufacture and put together many things - much of it is labor work that many companies use child labor for things like shoes, clothes, toys, etc. For iphones/computer motherboards/medicine/etc yes absolutely you need skilled specialized workers, so it depends on what.

    It would certainly cost time & money to retrain people in new country - basically be re-investing. Even if we were to move manufacturing back to America with our large number of skilled workers, it would still take time to re-train that personnel. That's reasonable and difficult to overcome. You are right it could take years from start to finish..

    Supply chain might be bit lacking compared to China -- mainly because in a communist government, the government is also directly involved in controlling production/distribution. Authoritarian governments tend to be very efficient because anyone who acts out is executed or ends up in slave labor camp for rest of their lives. That threat forces the workers to always give their 110% and work their way to death. There are no labor unions, pay raises typically, overtime pay, etc in these commie countries. No democratic nation can truly compete with that if we really look under the hood.. It's basically doing a deal with the devil - yeah, very cheap stuff but the devil will torture/punish/overwork their people into the dirt & very volatile situation.
    Last edited by bladefd; 04-05-2020 at 08:06 PM.

  10. #2245
    Good college starter diamenz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,480

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro View Post
    You should check the thread on RealGM of posters dealing with Covid-19 right now. This virus is no joke.

    https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...?f=6&t=1954017
    damn. one of the posters there lost their father to the virus.

  11. #2246
    Landslide honors LAmbruh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Consensus
    Posts
    11,019

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    damn. one of the posters there lost their father to the virus.
    "just a flu bro, they would have died anyways"

  12. #2247
    Whap'em ZenMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,628

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together most basic equipment or to operate a mostly automated process factory. You don't have to be highly trained expert to manufacture and put together many things - much of it is labor work that many companies use child labor for things like shoes, clothes, toys, etc. For iphones/computer motherboards/medicine/etc yes absolutely you need skilled specialized workers, so it depends on what.

    It would certainly cost time & money to retrain people in new country - basically be re-investing. Even if we were to move manufacturing back to America with our large number of skilled workers, it would still take time to re-train that personnel. That's reasonable and difficult to overcome. You are right it could take years from start to finish..

    Supply chain might be bit lacking compared to China -- mainly because in a communist government, the government is also directly involved in controlling production/distribution. Authoritarian governments tend to be very efficient because anyone who acts out is executed or ends up in slave labor camp for rest of their lives. That threat forces the workers to always give their 110% and work their way to death. There are no labor unions, pay raises typically, overtime pay, etc in these commie countries. No democratic nation can truly compete with that if we really look under the hood.. It's basically doing a deal with the devil - yeah, very cheap stuff but the devil will torture/punish/overwork their people into the dirt & very volatile situation.
    Another reason why you shouldn't support overseas production, but apparently child labor is now something we just casually mention as part of a business model.

    Just move the production back home, these companies we're talking about would suffer, making it an apparent impossible solution, they have individuals owning them making billions.

    Take Walmart, the family behind that made 39 billion from mid 2018 to mid 2019. They could have theoretically paid out 38 billion more in salary and still have 1 billion to share, just from those 12 months alone! Walmart would still exist if they had a profit of 1 billion going to the family owners after paying out their workers.

  13. #2248
    College star Overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,129

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    If we can give it to them, pretty sure they can give it back to us.
    No, doesn't automatically mean that. Apparently domesticated cats can get it, but can't pass it on.

  14. #2249
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
    Posts
    23,875

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    The US only added 17,000 cases today... which is the lowest weve been in 4 days.

    Yesterday we added 34,000

    Hopefully 34,000 was the peak

  15. #2250
    Valley Boyz highwhey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,433

    Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    The US only added 17,000 cases today... which is the lowest weve been in 4 days.

    Yesterday we added 34,000

    Hopefully 34,000 was the peak
    i heard weekends usually have dips in testing...not sure why, may be we test less.

    but yes, hopefully it does become a pattern and we flatten that curve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •