Page 3 of 712 FirstFirst 1234561353103503 ... LastLast
    College superstar Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Default Re: Official coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post

Something I think we should really know and accept: there are 400+ coronaviruses out there in nature. SARS and MERs were both coronaviruses. Theyve happened before, and they will happen again. Probably be a new one next flu season.
    Probably not. There are only 7 known strains of human coronavirus. 4 common ones. SARS, MERS and this 2019-nCoV

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Maybe not as soon as next year, but I think its a given there will be more. Those doctors do too

I read last night that there may be plenty of people with coronavirus in their nasal pathways & bodies but not infected. Couple scientists say that's not possible & those people are probably infected but without symptoms. Couple scientists say it might be possible to have coronavirus in you but not infected for whatever reason & you could just be a carrier. Or they are possibly false positives in tests, but I doubt there would be a large number of false positives. Hard to be sure as the 3 possibilities are all across the spectrum.

I guess there is much we don't actually know yet, and I'm sure the Chinese are hiding some information from us. Who the hell knows for sure?

South Korea went from 30 a few days ago to 346 just now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan View Post
    South Korea went from 30 a few days ago to 346 just now.
    They are now at over 600. Italy has 133 and has quarantined and curfewed 4 towns and 50,000 ppl.

Lots of scientists think the disease is no longer containable. Now it's just a race between hot, dry weather or a vaccine, and it spreading like wildfire across the world.

Some up to date facts and figures here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

People in the US seem like they are becoming less concerned about COVID-19 but the fact is we should be more terrified than ever before.

China may get a hold of their problem because of their draconian measures by the government and the people's sense of nationalism but most nations don't have this going for them including us. I can easily see this coronavirus spreading all across the US and China issuing travel bans against us.

Footage from inside Wuhan that has been smuggled out. It's worse than we thought guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

If the figures coming out of Iran are accurate the mortality rate there is 19%.

Haven't been reading this thread (because I haven't kept up closely with the coronavirus news) but wow, now there are suddenly a few hundred cases in Milan/Northern Italy.

Not good, I gotta go to San Antonio for a few months to take care of some loose ends...

what's going to happen when NYC or any other major American city has 700 cases of this virus breakout like South Korea just had?

are folks still going to go about their daily routine? It's not necessarily the virus it's self that has me concerned, it's the mass panic that comes with it.

Dow Jones just dropped 1,000 points... so obviously some level of panic has already started.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul View Post
    If the figures coming out of Iran are accurate the mortality rate there is 19%.
    And the mortality rate is over 3%, not 2% like I see widely quoted. May not sound like a lot but that's 50% more people dying. Also of the 52,000 currently battling the disease. Over 20% are in serious or critical condition. This ain't your regular flu virus. It's going to get ugly if we don't get a vaccine soon, and it starts spreading out of control.

The reason mortality rates aren't higher is because the sick are currently receiving the best treatment hospitals have to offer atm. If hospitals get overwhelmed, mortality rates will skyrocket.

Default Re: Official coronavirus news discussion thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aARkYnAB8s

Anyone else here because of that China Corona virus? +38

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    what's going to happen when NYC or any other major American city has 700 cases of this virus breakout like South Korea just had?

are folks still going to go about their daily routine? It's not necessarily the virus it's self that has me concerned, it's the mass panic that comes with it.

Dow Jones just dropped 1,000 points... so obviously some level of panic has already started.
    There are actually more people in Wuhan than there are in NYC...the "panic" would be everyone staying inside, NYC would look like a ghost town. But not sure how 700 could get here since we have effectively banned all travel to places with coronavirus. The biggest effect on us is panic on wall street...but here is Warren Buffett on that:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeik.../#7416cfb9182c

He views market drops as a positive...the coronavirus is your chance to "buy low".